Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1

    Searching for a managed hosting provider in Europe or Canada

    Hi All,

    Long time lurker, first time poster.

    My company is looking for a new managed hosting company to host our SaaS application and marketing web site. We are a Canadian company of about 60 employees but with massive, global clients, so we are looking for a company that is in Canada or in Europe, where there are far less privacy / Patriot Act concerns.

    We're currently paying about $15,000 / month.

    Any advice would be appreciated - what are our options for a managed hosting provider that can keep us at 99.99% uptime? We are willing to spend more if it is warranted but I have no idea what other companies like us are spending in this area, and on what.

    I'm currently looking at these companies named in the 2013 Gartner magic quadrant:
    Interoute.com
    Colt.net
    Attenda.net
    Claranet.com

    I've tried to search for reviews, but haven't had much luck. Does anybody have any experience with managed hosting provided directly by these companies, as opposed to a reseller? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks in advance!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    /etc/my.cnf
    Posts
    10,039
    Quote Originally Posted by FTO11 View Post
    SaaS application and marketing web site.
    What is the application exactly?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    57
    Certainly $15,000 / month is a huge budget. is there any major reason for changing your current hosting provider?

  4. #4
    It's our own custom SaaS app running on LAMP stacks. Its' composed of separate apache, mysql, and tomcat servers. We also have a DR site where our environment is being replicated to.

    We're currently with a datacentre company that we're happy with, unfortunately they only take care of the hardware infrastructure. This meant we had to partner up with another managed services company to take care of everything else. We've had way too many issues with this other company, so it's forcing us to look elsewhere.

    Proaxxs are based in the USA. Due to privacy concerns with our clients we can only look for Canadian or European companies. Thanks though.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    /etc/my.cnf
    Posts
    10,039
    Quote Originally Posted by FTO11 View Post
    It's our own custom SaaS app running on LAMP stacks. Its' composed of separate apache, mysql, and tomcat servers. We also have a DR site where our environment is being replicated to.

    We're currently with a datacentre company that we're happy with, unfortunately they only take care of the hardware infrastructure. This meant we had to partner up with another managed services company to take care of everything else. We've had way too many issues with this other company, so it's forcing us to look elsewhere.

    Proaxxs are based in the USA. Due to privacy concerns with our clients we can only look for Canadian or European companies. Thanks though.
    How many separate servers would you need?
    What are these privacy concerns?
    Have you ever considered using Nginx + MariaDB?

  6. #6
    The patriot act is something our clients aren't too keen on, and it's in our best interest to stay away from it.

    We would need 3 servers + 1 staging server for testing.

    We're unlikely to move away from out platforms, especially MySQL at this point. But that's something that can be discussed with our developers if it makes sense.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    /etc/my.cnf
    Posts
    10,039
    Quote Originally Posted by FTO11 View Post
    We're unlikely to move away from out platforms, especially MySQL at this point. But that's something that can be discussed with our developers if it makes sense.
    MariaDB is a drop-in replacement performance folk of MySQL you could likely drop a server in exchange for improvements in software such as Nginx + MariaDB which could actually perform 2-3 fold over Apache + MySQL...

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Scotland, UK
    Posts
    2,549
    Have you considered just using another management company if you are happy with your datacenter?

    Do you have some more exact details of your current setup, specifically the stack / platform, what your current systems are used for and setup for (Do you have load balancers? Clustering?).

    If the problem is with the management company maybe describing the current issues would also help as maybe your next provider might have similar issues (Such as no experience with your stack).
    Server Management - AdminGeekZ.com
    Infrastructure Management, Web Application Performance, mySQL DBA. System Automation.
    WordPress/Magento Performance, Apache to Nginx Conversion, Varnish Implimentation, DDoS Protection, Custom Nginx Modules
    Check our wordpress varnish plugin. Contact us for quote: [email protected]

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    London, United Kingdom
    Posts
    5
    I've asked some people in my network for reviews on Attenda.net. If they are forthcoming they may post here or respond with me directly.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Posts
    14
    I think PEER1 is worth considering and they do fit your requirements. They are a Canadian provider with a good track record and the capacity to handle your needs.

    Quote Originally Posted by FTO11 View Post
    The patriot act is something our clients aren't too keen on, and it's in our best interest to stay away from it.
    However, PEER1 does have physical ties to the USA, so I'm not sure how you'll feel about that. I think that relying on Canada or Europe to protect you from US surveillance may be wishful thinking. If the USG wants to you (or your servers) bad enough they can put pressure on either of these countries and I think it's unlikely that they wouldn't comply.
    Last edited by Full Ambit Networks; 10-02-2013 at 08:37 AM.

  11. #11
    We have considered looking into just a managed services company, however it seems like the better, or at least more established companies, do everything in house. If there is a managed services company that you think can fit the bill I would be very interested in hearing about it.

    We currently only have single servers for web, sql and authentication. Assessing and redoing our architecture is definitely something that will need to be done with our new partner. As described earlier they are all essentially on LAMP stacks, except the auth server which is running tomcat. I don't believe that's too unusual.

    skystacker> Thank you for looking into it. Any kind of feedback would help a great deal.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by FTO11 View Post
    We have considered looking into just a managed services company, however it seems like the better, or at least more established companies, do everything in house. If there is a managed services company that you think can fit the bill I would be very interested in hearing about it.
    I've heard good things about Rack911 and RackAid.

  13. #13
    Full Ambit Networks> I have reached out to peer1, but while they did sell me on their infrastructure support, unfortunately I did not get a good sense of managed services expertise from their sales staff.

    The scenario from this review from Rob85 is what I'm trying to avoid. His experience with the sales guy is pretty similar to the sense that I got.

    (I would post the link but unfortunately it is disabled since I am a newbie).

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by FTO11 View Post
    Full Ambit Networks> I have reached out to peer1, but while they did sell me on their infrastructure support, unfortunately I did not get a good sense of managed services expertise from their sales staff.

    The scenario from this review from Rob85 is what I'm trying to avoid. His experience with the sales guy is pretty similar to the sense that I got.

    (I would post the link but unfortunately it is disabled since I am a newbie).
    In all fairness, I have no experience with the PEER1 managed services. However, my experience with the PEER1 network is excellent. I assumed they had a good managed service, but I could be wrong.
    Full Ambit Networks :: cPanel/CloudLinux Shared & Reseller | Xen VPS | Dedicated Servers | CDN | Off-Site Backups

    ^ 100% Uptime SLA and 24x7 Support in Seattle ^

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    259
    Peer1 has good support. I have no experience with their managed support though.
    Megaspace Web Hosting Canadian Shared Web Hosting | Kitchener-Waterloo, Elmira, Listowel Web Hosting
    ASSP Anti-Spam Email Filtering | cPanel Web Hosting | 24 x 7 x 365 Website Uptime Monitoring | Creative Web Design
    Live Chat Support | Skype Support | English Speaking Tech Support | PHP/MySQL |
    www.megaspace.ca Host with us and get a Tim Card at Christmas!

Similar Threads

  1. Any Reputed Managed VPS Provider in Europe ?
    By chatbox in forum Web Hosting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-16-2012, 03:30 PM
  2. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 11-05-2010, 05:51 PM
  3. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-27-2010, 10:27 AM
  4. Searching for a Hosting Provider
    By sKunKbad in forum Web Hosting
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-09-2008, 04:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •