Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1

    Getting more customers

    What is the best way to get hosting customers?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    266

    Re: Getting more customers

    For what kind of hosting?

    Sites like LowEndBox are good for VPS hosts if your servers are affordable. It helps to get more popularity.

    Forum advertising such as here on WHT is a good choice but you have to make sure that you can offer something unique, otherwise the offer won't be noticed among all the other offers. If you don't offer anything unique then it has to be more affordable to catch the potential customers' attention.

    If you have a big advertising budget then advertising on websites related to web hosting is a good idea. This works for all kinds of hosting from shared hosting to dedicated servers. If you are planning to do this you should check out sites like BuySellAds or contact the owners of some web hosting forums/websites and ask about advertising with them.

    SEO is also an option but it's quite hard for the web hosting business these days. SEM might work better but that's expensive.
    Last edited by Jake_K; 09-30-2013 at 10:42 AM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Dallas/FortWorth TX
    Posts
    1,677
    pick up your yellow pages, and start making calls to local business, meet them and signup.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,286
    It's important to put a lot of effort into maintaining existing customers as well. Far too many people are too interested in getting new customers and don't look after existing ones enough...complete waste of time advertising if you can't do this. Gain 1 new customer, loose 2.

  5. #5
    Hi,
    I think the most effective way is SEM, however it is expensive. Try to be very specific with your targeting, that's how you'll get best results. I wouldn't recommend SEO that much, there are already thousands of hosting sites with an established position. Also, it could be a good idea to try offline marketing, for example look for local website designers and try to partner with them.
    Good luck

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    266

    Re: Getting more customers

    Quote Originally Posted by HVH - George View Post
    It's important to put a lot of effort into maintaining existing customers as well. Far too many people are too interested in getting new customers and don't look after existing ones enough...complete waste of time advertising if you can't do this. Gain 1 new customer, loose 2.
    Agreed. And keeping your customers satisfied also helps with advertising. Positive reviews and mouth to mouth advertising is a great way to get even more sales.

  7. #7
    Offer a better service and product then your competition. Then explain why you are better.

    Offer free hosting in exchange for referrals. This works great for non-profits who are often happy to get free hosting, and have lots of contacts.

    Good luck.
    Want to sell domain names? Sign up today for an eNom.com reseller account from a trusted eNom ETP provider.
    * We provide support and service to over 3245 happy eNom domain name and SSL certificate resellers!

  8. #8
    SEO is also playing a big rule, if you can attract more visit from google, you have better chance to get new customers.
    RouterHosting
    Cheap Windows VPS | Linux VPS | Dedicated Servers Within Your budget
    Accept Credit Cards, PayPal, Payza, PerfectMoney, Moneybookers, BitCoin and ....
    Instant Windows and Linux VPS Activation

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    928
    Quote Originally Posted by EasyAsPie View Post
    For what kind of hosting?

    Sites like LowEndBox are good for VPS hosts if your servers are affordable. It helps to get more popularity.

    Forum advertising such as here on WHT is a good choice but you have to make sure that you can offer something unique, otherwise the offer won't be noticed among all the other offers. If you don't offer anything unique then it has to be more affordable to catch the potential customers' attention.

    If you have a big advertising budget then advertising on websites related to web hosting is a good idea. This works for all kinds of hosting from shared hosting to dedicated servers. If you are planning to do this you should check out sites like BuySellAds or contact the owners of some web hosting forums/websites and ask about advertising with them.

    SEO is also an option but it's quite hard for the web hosting business these days. SEM might work better but that's expensive.
    These are pretty good tips. Many hosts will start out with very low cost hosting plans to provide growth and drive initial interest. After a while, you can raise prices as word of mouth begins to bring in more customers.

    Regardless of how you promote your business, quality service is always key. Your customers won't stay and new ones won't come if you don't provide great service.
    ▄▀▄ Brian Harrison, Lead Engineer - Reprise Hosting (AS62838)
    ▄▀▄ Deals on cheap dedicated server hosting. IPMI included! Unmetered bandwidth.
    ▄▀▄ Website migration, 24/7/365 support, basic server setup, 15 day money back.
    ▄▀▄ Looking for DEALS on self-managed cheap VPS hosting? Visit VPSHostingDEAL.com

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    51
    there are many creative ways to get customers. for example: If you like traveling, you can post an advert/promotional information regarding your biz on your car. Go to public places that many people see that promotional info.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    382
    Staying active on WHT helps quite a lot.
    Also other forums are good places to market hosting.
    Hostpaedia - Affordable, Reliable & Secure Web Hosting
    Web Hosting : Host Unlimited Websites, cPanel, Softaculous, Servers in USA and Germany
    Reseller Hosting : cPanel, Softaculous
    VPS Hosting : KVM VPS powered by Virtualizor

  12. #12
    Get listed in directories, post to the different forums, consider paid advertising
    I exchange E-Currencies(PP<>PM<>Payza<>Payoneer<>Skrill<>Paxum<>WMZ).
    My ICQ: 498*639*434, Skype: Chosen_FTS
    I'll show you my references on request.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Core Files
    Posts
    7,794
    ^^^^^^^^^^ All good suggestions.

    If you happen to have a million dollars, a super bowl ad is also helpful

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Data center
    Posts
    539
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannan View Post
    SEO is also playing a big rule, if you can attract more visit from google, you have better chance to get new customers.
    True. But its not easy in the world of web hosting

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    5,054
    There are a lot of different ways to attract customers. It all depends on your targeted niche. If you want steady strong clients that will stay with you then your best bet is to first bring in some local clients from your home town or location where you live now.

    Walk to businesses and talk with business owners lye them know about your services and explain to them how your services will make their life easier and better with your services. Set up a certain plan for all local businesses where they will be locked in for a year. You can have the client pay yearly. Have something like a brochure for them.

    If you build yourself a business portfolio and go and have a presentation.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    .ssh
    Posts
    976
    Diversify!

    It takes time and patience and marketing, + a budget wouldn't go a miss, no one is going to share secrets you need to make your own!

    ~ That is sadly the way it goes

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by EasyAsPie View Post
    For what kind of hosting?

    Sites like LowEndBox are good for VPS hosts if your servers are affordable. It helps to get more popularity.

    Forum advertising such as here on WHT is a good choice but you have to make sure that you can offer something unique, otherwise the offer won't be noticed among all the other offers. If you don't offer anything unique then it has to be more affordable to catch the potential customers' attention.
    I agree with this 100%.And would like to add that satisfied customer can be very good "advertisment".

  18. #18
    Well, it depends how you want to promote. You can use paid advertisement if you have bucks.. else, you can use some free local business websites to help you out.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Chennai
    Posts
    623
    marketing in hosting is much like fighting, first you have to be good in defense (getting good name with the existing clients and making them loyal, gaining reputation in the industry, adding brand value by quality service). then comes the attack (paid advertising, contacting people for business promotions and the like).

    so, unless you have the capacity to impress the customers with you to stay loyal with you, i don't think any amount of paid advertising will help in the long run.
    "You got a dream... You gotta protect it. People can't do somethin' themselves, they wanna tell you you can't do it. If you want somethin', go get it. Period." - Pursuit of Happyness

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    986
    It all depends on your market. Most people seem to dive in with a vanilla business site that that advertises domains, shared hosting, dedicated servers. It takes them years to realize that they aren't offering anything compelling. Hosting is basically as big as the Internet, so by creating too broad of an offering most people actually shoot themselves in the foot.

    If you're just beginning you'd benefit most from what they call a beachhead market. That's a very small, isolated group of clients that are going to recognize each other, and allows you to get a little bit of word of mouth going. You can gradually expand from there, and as you look at broader groups of clients, it gets easier. Practice making a hosting product that's the best specifically for that group - a little PHP.INI setting that bigger hosts get wrong, pre-installation of something, support that understands the application that they run, or a value-added service that fits (maybe web design for a local market, as has seemed to be more important for those sorts of clients in my experience).

    Then contribute to that community - blogging, forum participation, sponsor an event, create some referral partnerships. The more you work on a given market and listen to people the more ideas you'll start to get.
    Corey Northcutt | Northcutt
    Competitive inbound marketing with a hosting industry competency.
    Social | Content | Optimization | Outreach

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Servers
    Posts
    1,588
    Quote Originally Posted by qwidjib0 View Post
    It all depends on your market. Most people seem to dive in with a vanilla business site that that advertises domains, shared hosting, dedicated servers. It takes them years to realize that they aren't offering anything compelling. Hosting is basically as big as the Internet, so by creating too broad of an offering most people actually shoot themselves in the foot.

    If you're just beginning you'd benefit most from what they call a beachhead market. That's a very small, isolated group of clients that are going to recognize each other, and allows you to get a little bit of word of mouth going. You can gradually expand from there, and as you look at broader groups of clients, it gets easier. Practice making a hosting product that's the best specifically for that group - a little PHP.INI setting that bigger hosts get wrong, pre-installation of something, support that understands the application that they run, or a value-added service that fits (maybe web design for a local market, as has seemed to be more important for those sorts of clients in my experience).

    Then contribute to that community - blogging, forum participation, sponsor an event, create some referral partnerships. The more you work on a given market and listen to people the more ideas you'll start to get.
    Again depends. If you offer one products or not that wide range you are specializing more. But if a customer need a new / different product you cannot sell / upsell them. Even BlueHost from one shared hosting plan went to selling VPS and dedicated. Same is HostGator. Agree on the one you should not sell just everything for everybody when you even you do not know if it working or how it is working. A common mistake for the start-ups.
    QHoster.com - Web Hosting with DDoS Protection | Shared & Reseller in Europe/North America
    Linux/Windows RDP VPS 13 Locations : UK, US (5 states), Mexico, Canada, Bulgaria, Lithuania,
    Italy, France, Germany,Netherlands, Switzerland, Rissia, Singapore | OpenVPN/PPTP Enabled
    INSTANT | PayPal, Skrill, Payza, Bitcoin, WebMoney, Perfect Money, Ukash, CashU, paysafecard

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Kuala Lumpur
    Posts
    1,615
    Build a small customer base from selling to local businesses, professionals etc. Then simply provide excellent service, so your host becomes popular from word of mouth. Once you've got enough budget, dive into more aggressive advertising methods - Adwords, Facebook Adverts, Affiliates etc.

Similar Threads

  1. Clients for sale - cPanel Shared & Reseller customers and Hypervm VPS Customers !
    By clients4sale101 in forum Other Web Hosting Related Offers
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 02-15-2009, 03:35 PM
  2. 350+ Hosting Customers For Sale + 6 Dedicated Server Customers
    By EagleWolf in forum Other Web Hosting Related Offers
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-30-2004, 10:23 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-24-2004, 09:10 PM
  4. Eservers.biz customers & potential customers beware!
    By RackMy.com in forum Dedicated Server
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 05-28-2002, 03:59 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •