Hybrid View

Which ecommerce solution can do?

I'm looking for an hosted ecomerce solution that can handle:

- several member levels, with each member level having a different price for the same product
    - monthly subscriptions
    - spot market offers, limited in time and in stock availability
    - customer product rating, written experiences, Facebook likes and twitter buttons
    - multi-language store
    - multi-currency store

With all the hosted ecommerce providers out there it is not possible to try them all out. I'm hoping with the experience on the forum, some of you could give their opinion on which service would be able to handle our needs?

Quote Originally Posted by zinneken View Post
    I'm looking for an hosted ecomerce solution that can handle:

- several member levels, with each member level having a different price for the same product
    - monthly subscriptions
    - spot market offers, limited in time and in stock availability
    - customer product rating, written experiences, Facebook likes and twitter buttons
    - multi-language store
    - multi-currency store

With all the hosted ecommerce providers out there it is not possible to try them all out. I'm hoping with the experience on the forum, some of you could give their opinion on which service would be able to handle our needs?
    Magento eCommerce will let you do this. It supports customer groups and catalog price rules based on customer group. It also has advanced multi-store support which will let you set up multiple store views with different language and currencies.

Magento eCommerce is the best,
    but if you are looking for a easy but featured eCommerce software i suggest PrestaShop

But Magento is a real resource hog.

Quote Originally Posted by wpsitedesign View Post
    But Magento is a real resource hog.
    It requires more resources than many other web applications, but it is also built more like an enterprise app and not a hobby project. With the right server environment, it will run very smooth, but I agree, it is not something you want to run on $5/mo shared hosting.

Quote Originally Posted by webhostal View Post
    Magento eCommerce is the best,
    but if you are looking for a easy but featured eCommerce software i suggest PrestaShop
    +1 for Magento.

No. Magento Go is garbage.
    if you never tried and never experienced that true, as at the beginning is very complicated but after period of time and learning, you will find it's the best ecommerce solution.
    Explore our outstanding VPS choices tailored to your budget, and we welcome reasonable offers.
    VPS Price Match Guarantee on: All our range of DDOS protected XEN HVM VPS
    == Contact us for any online solution development or managed / unmanaged vps hosting ==

Quote Originally Posted by ProperHost View Post
    Magento eCommerce will let you do this. It supports customer groups and catalog price rules based on customer group. It also has advanced multi-store support which will let you set up multiple store views with different language and currencies.
    Thanks for the suggestions. Is Magento eCommerce the same as Magento Go? I'm really looking for a hosted solution as I don't want to deal with being responsible for security and updates to software or hardware.

How is Magent eCommerce different in functionality from MagentoGo?

Quote Originally Posted by zinneken View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. Is Magento eCommerce the same as Magento Go? I'm really looking for a hosted solution as I don't want to deal with being responsible for security and updates to software or hardware.

How is Magent eCommerce different in functionality from MagentoGo?
    No. Magento Go is garbage. Use Shopify, Etsy, Volusion, etc.

You can compare both at http://go.magento.com/com-vs-go/

We have been using Magento for our website as well
    █ WebHostRepo.com
    █ Linux | Windows
    | VPS | Cloud
    █ Outsourced Technical Support since 2009
    █ sales@webhostrepo.com

My sites are on the Aspdotnetstorefront multistore playform. I hear lots of good things about Shopify though.

Our main company does website design and all we use for e-commerce is Magento. It may be a hog but it's a real e-commerce system.

Don't use Magento Go.
    WordPress Hosting
    Shared / White Label Reseller WHM | SSD Cloud | CloudLinux

www.LarisMedia.com Wordpress & Magento Website Design

If you have multistore for magento then it has sparkle things for you where kept more online ecommerce through magento

Thanks for all the replies.

Many comments go against magento go, why? What are the reasons not to use magento go? It seems the same as magento, without the need to have a systems admin and without the need to manage security and upgrades, no?

Also, how much, broad approximation, would it cost to have a custom solution developed and maintained by a pro company based on the OP?

Magento all the way!

Hello zinneken,

Magento is one of the big boys when it comes to e-commerce solutions. If you have the resources for it, it can be with you for a long while.

The drawbacks are the resources it uses, so do not try it on a shared hosting platform. VPS and Dedicated servers are the way to go here. Also, it has a bit of a learning curve, so don't think you will get used to it as quickly as a WordPress ecommerce addon. If you stick with it and learn it well, it is definitely worth it.

If you need something that uses less resources due to your hosting situation, I would recommend PrestaShop.

Hope this helps!
    [B]Scott M