'Real' fully managed??

Hello,

I'm doing some research on managed hosters and finding that increasingly the term managed is starting to mean less and less.. Can anyone point me in the direction of 'managed hosters' who handle some or all of these requirements:

-Manage standard LAMP stacks including adding websites to the servers?
    -Possibly have a control panel where you can do this yourself (non-cpanel)
    -Are able to scale their setup to load balanced solution where they still provide this same level of service?
    -Will troubleshoot site/server slowness and dive deep into mysql configs instead of just telling me its an application problem?

I'm noticing that cpanel is the recommended solution for many hosts when these requirements are brought up. I have nothing against cpanel but I havent seen it scale well beyond 1 server, ie you cant load balance it.. Any comments on that?

Thank you - LIRacer!

IMHO

Fully manage should include 24x7x365 Phone and Ticket Support, access Level 3 Technicians, System Level Monitoring Alerts & Notifications, Installation and support of core software package, core operating system updates & patches, Security Enhancements.

If the server includes a web server, then it should include web server support of the OS installed, a minimum initial response time for support tickets and ideally for resolution (although sometimes it may take long due to custom coding, etc), managing AV/Spam/Malware protection, if there is a control panel added, then support the control panel, including updates and patches.

There are a number of Providers that offer this type of service, I recommend a due diligence.

Happy hunting!
    Hosted Desktops include Manages Support, Disaster Recovery and More!
    Hosted Desktops - Managed Services - Infrastructure as a Service
    UCclouds.com "Everything UC is in the Cloud"

Quote Originally Posted by LIRacer450 View Post
    I'm noticing that cpanel is the recommended solution for many hosts when these requirements are brought up. I have nothing against cpanel but I havent seen it scale well beyond 1 server, ie you cant load balance it.. Any comments on that?
    Can't argue with that. WHM is a single server solution with no real clustering options outside of DNS. DirectAdmin is much the same. For standard control panels InterWorx or H-Sphere better fit your needs. InterWorx has very reasonable lifetime pricing, might be something to consider if you can't find a pre-packaged solution that fits.
    WHMEasyBackup.com - Take Control Of Your Backups!
    Complete Backup Solution For WHM Reseller Accounts

Regarding cPanel; there are some areas that cPanel lacks - specifically as you mentioned - clustering. However, cPanel does not load balance you can "breakout" areas of cPanel and offload it onto other servers. For example: a separate mySQL server, email server and dns.

Probably one of my biggest issues with cPanel (we use them ourselves) is cPanel (out of the box) does not like NAT'ing. Although there are some great software firewalls like CSF; we like the ability to use NAt'ing.

We actually have a client testing InterWorx and I have been inside it a few times. Besides not being familiar with the CP it seems to be pretty powerful.
    Hosted Desktops include Manages Support, Disaster Recovery and More!
    Hosted Desktops - Managed Services - Infrastructure as a Service
    UCclouds.com "Everything UC is in the Cloud"

Finding management like this directly from a provider may be a difficult task when it comes down to every aspect of the server. It may be better for you to hire a third party management company.
    Respectfully,
    Mr. Terrence

most managed hosts can scale past 1 server an example would be a dedicated mysql server and a dedicated for the front end.

not many people need more then 2 servers to run a single site so you wont see many hosts offering anything past 2 servers unless its a special request.

I have seen sites with over 500k a day in traffic running off a single server.

Quote Originally Posted by UCG_Keith View Post
    Probably one of my biggest issues with cPanel (we use them ourselves) is cPanel (out of the box) does not like NAT'ing. Although there are some great software firewalls like CSF; we like the ability to use NAt'ing.
    We've actually supported a NAT'd Cpanel servers and it works fine with licensing, vhosts (shared or static) and all. Although it's apache/php only.. DNS/Email is handled elsewhere. And I can see that dns could prove to be an issue in NAT but email 'should' work fine.
    Fast Serv Networks, LLC | AS29889 | DDOS Protected | Managed Cloud, Streaming, Dedicated Servers, Colo by-the-U
    Since 2003 - Ashburn VA + San Diego CA Datacenters

So which providers do 'fully managed' for non-cpanel boxes in the way that I described them?

Seems like it takes a 30 minute live chat with any provider to actually get to their real definition of what fully managed means to them.

Is there any better terminology to describe this complete fully managed setup?

http://www.nationalnet.com/ uses no control panels and does everything manually and can do what you want.

Yes - It seems like the adult hosters are the ones most willing to do this work. Are there others? Any that do have a non-cpanel CP that can automate some of the tasks too?

no one is going to make you a list unfortunately when it comes to multiple servers scaling and not using cpanel hosts that fosus on adult will meet most of your needs.

personally i hate how cpanel takes over everything had havent used it in years.

Yes - It seems like the adult hosters are the ones most willing to do this work. Are there others? Any that do have a non-cpanel CP that can automate some of the tasks too?

I would agree with Terrence, there are quite a few good server management companies around. Simply take a look around for reviews.

I'm not sure that telephone support is all that necessary. Sure I like to have a phone number just in case, but I'll take a well run ticket system with 15 min response times any day (or night).

Have checked out the Managed Service Provers under Web Hosting Offers?
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=201

It is a mixed bag you will find VPS and Dedi's there. So look close.

That area is where I found SolaDrive who I consider fully managed, and they give me wonderful attention.

Quote Originally Posted by gPowerHost View Post
    I'm not sure that telephone support is all that necessary. Sure I like to have a phone number just in case, but I'll take a well run ticket system with 15 min response times any day (or night).

Have checked out the Managed Service Provers under Web Hosting Offers?
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=201

It is a mixed bag you will find VPS and Dedi's there. So look close.

That area is where I found SolaDrive who I consider fully managed, and they give me wonderful attention.
    Thanks for the mention and kind words, its much appreciated!
    SolaDrive - Enterprise Managed Server Solutions
    Specializing in Managed NVMe VPS & Dedicated Servers in US & UK
    Visit us at SolaDrive.com

Quote Originally Posted by SolaDrive - John View Post
    Thanks for the mention and kind words, its much appreciated!
    John - Is it possible to comment on your services? Where do you draw the line for management? What dont you do? What CPs do you support?

John - Is it possible to comment on your services? Where do you draw the line for management? What dont you do? What CPs do you support?
    I am not exactly sure if this is the best place to discuss this but we do indeed support any of the common CP's like cPanel, Plesk, Direct Admin, and quite a few of the free CP's as well.

As for management we cover everything on your VPS, we dont really have any limitations. We go by the saying that if we haven't worked with a third party script or application we will still give it our best effort. But in general we handle everything from the initial setup and migration to the consistent up keep and maintenance on your VPS.

If you have any further questions let us know, might be easier to just contact our sales as we dont want to hijack this thread.
    SolaDrive - Enterprise Managed Server Solutions
    Specializing in Managed NVMe VPS & Dedicated Servers in US & UK
    Visit us at SolaDrive.com