Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by infinitnet View Post
    Which kind of addresses did they contain then? If you have to buy lists, it means that the people that you "advertise" to didn't have any prior contact with you, in which case it already is an "issue". Such lists might be legal in the US and some other countries, but yet they're questionable. Facebook ads and similar would be a more appropiate alternative for any legit company.

We go out and buy lists specific to a strategic we want to target.
    Example: Dell server owners...who we might target for Colocation services.

Such lists are easily obtainable, from sources that run say a survey asking what type of products they own, or may be purchasing in the future, and asking to receive information on such products from appropriate partners during the subscription process.
    SmartHost™ - Intelligent Hosting! - Multiple Locations - US/EU! - Ultra-Fast NVME SSD VPS!
    http://www.smarthost.net - sales@smarthost.net - Resale/Affiliate Programs
    Cloud Hosting - VPS Hosting - Dedicated Servers - Colocation - Flux Capacitors

Quote Originally Posted by Kijjy View Post
    It's probably the WHMCS hacked database that was sold to you guys
    Hah. You never know! But doubtful....
    SmartHost™ - Intelligent Hosting! - Multiple Locations - US/EU! - Ultra-Fast NVME SSD VPS!

I bet it is... Who actually double opts in to email lists through their companies sales@ or support@ emails?

Quote Originally Posted by stablehost View Post
    Can you please respond back to my question.
    I'm not going to do that just yet.
    We have a long time relationship here, and this specific marketing company has always been honest and legit.
    I'm not going to drag their name thru the mud just because of what could have been a mistake on their end.
    Now if I find out this was intentional on their part, that is another story...but I doubt that is the case, as they make their money on long-time relationships and repeat business, not on grabbing money from the sale of on dirty list.

Quote Originally Posted by Kijjy View Post
    I bet it is... Who actually double opts in to email lists through their companies sales@ or support@ emails?
    If we spot checked the list, we would have caught that right off the bat.
    After so many years buying lists from this source, we didn't think it necessary.
    Thank goodness we were able to stop the mailing in process while only a small portion for that.

Believe it or not, WHT was actually helpful in bringing it to our attention!...as no complaints had come in via any other method yet.
    I'm not usually a big fan of WHT being a complaint forum, but in this case it actually helped.
    Probably was not the OPs intent, but thanks anyways "porcupine"...that helped us out in putting the kibbosh on this quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by BurstNET View Post
    Believe it or not, WHT was actually helpful in bringing it to our attention!...as no complaints had come in via any other method yet.
    That's not true, I complained by responding to your spam as soon as it came in. You most likely haven't received it yet because it takes you several days to respond to tickets...

That's not true, I complained by responding to your spam as soon as it came in. You most likely haven't received it yet because it takes you several days to respond to tickets...
    If you think he's going to care you're wrong, and I highly doubt he will provide the name of the company he uses regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeambrose3 View Post
    If you think he's going to care you're wrong, and I highly doubt he will provide the name of the company he uses regardless.
    Of course, we learned many years ago Burst doesn't care. The only reason they are still around is because their products are dirt cheap and we all know cheap products sell!

Of course, we learned many years ago Burst doesn't care. The only reason they are still around is because their products are dirt cheap and we all know cheap products sell!
    I have past experience with them and it was terrible. Never looked back. (This was about a year and a half ago however) Support was bad, never answered tickets, when they did it was a useless reply. Phone support never answered, when they did they had to put me on hold for some reason so I ended up hanging up every time after 20 minutes. Kind of useless. Anyways this is off topic however.

On topic, I still get mail from BurstNET's mailing list even after I unsubscribed.

I'd recommend everyone who received this spam from Burst to flag it as spam (if GMail) and send it off to the RBL lists (SpamCop, etc). Enough complaints, they will get added to their blacklists and hopefully Burst will learn buying email lists is not a good business practice.

Re: Burstnet SPAM? Really now?

Quote Originally Posted by BurstNET View Post
    No, we have recently changed mailing software for all our lists...in-house lists as well as purchased.
    Lists we purchased prior were NOT scraped--this is the first purchased list we have ever had an issue with.
    Purchased lists can be 100% legit, regardless of whether you like the idea or not...
    I'm pretty sure it's scraped because why would it contain companies' sales@ or support@ emails? I don't think these businesses that were affected used their company email to do surveys or sign up for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeambrose3 View Post
    On topic, I still get mail from BurstNET's mailing list even after I unsubscribed.
    Doubtful. We don't go putting addresses back on our list that unsubscribe. What point would there be in doing that...just so that they can complain and cause issues? That would be counter-productive. If they unsubscribed, they are not a potential target for doing business, no point mailing them further.

If you did unsubscribe, and continued getting mailing from us, most likely it is because you only subscribed from one list, when we maintain several in-house lists, besides external ones. If you unsubscribed from our network notification list, or our reseller/whole list, you may still have been getting our general list emails, etc...you need to unsubscribe from each on individually, or contact us and request we batch do all of them for you. In-house lists also don't have any effect on partner mailings thru purchased lists, which have noting to do with our internal lists. One of the reasons we switched mailing software recently though, has been to maintain better control over unsubscriptions, as we should be able to control master lists of such now, without each list operating independently...but that should just start occurring on new mailings, not historically.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenHostBox View Post
    I'm pretty sure it's scraped because why would it contain companies' sales@ or support@ emails? I don't think these businesses that were affected used their company email to do surveys or sign up for anything.
    Re-read what I stated...I already said that multiple times, and that this recent list we purchased was obviously bad.

I'd recommend everyone who received this spam from Burst to flag it as spam (if GMail) and send it off to the RBL lists (SpamCop, etc). Enough complaints, they will get added to their blacklists and hopefully Burst will learn buying email lists is not a good business practice.
    We are not going to change our marketing practices. Direct mail is a perfectly acceptable marketing method, as long as it is done properly. We will be more careful moving forward however, to make sure a list is fully legit, prior to mailing it...by spot checking as best we can. We've learned not to trust our source(s) 100%, regardless of prior successes with them.

It is true...we haven't seen any complaints to any of the addresses on the mailing (from, return, nor bounce addresses...) even as of now...I just checked again. I'm not surprised though, as less than a thousand emails got thru before we caught it. If the whole list went thru, I'm sure there would have been alot more complaints. If you complained to our abuse dept, yes, that can take some time. But it still holds true that the first we saw a problem was with that WHT OP first posting here, regardless of if/when a complaint via email was sent to us. As soon as we saw that we immediately shut off the mail process.

To be fair, many trade publications ask you to opt in and ask if you wish to receive qualified offers / information from industry professionals. Techtarget, CIO Magazine (ITWorld) and many others do this and this is where the addresses go... to people in the industry looking to market their offerings.

Not really spam as I know I opted into receiving offers from 3rd party providers.
    CloudNexus Technology Services
    Managed Services

Quote Originally Posted by Coolraul View Post
    To be fair, many trade publications ask you to opt in and ask if you wish to receive qualified offers / information from industry professionals. Techtarget, CIO Magazine (ITWorld) and many others do this and this is where the addresses go... to people in the industry looking to market their offerings.

Not really spam as I know I opted into receiving offers from 3rd party providers.

Yup...and that is exactly the type of list vendor we typically purchase from. Been safe up until now...

Sent to our sales@ email, complete spam as this is a ticket only email that has never been "opted in for promotional emails". I just finally got burst to remove my personal email for the 5th time now they are spamming our ticket system...

#384148 - NEW DATACENTER NOW OPEN - CONTACT TO NEGOTIATE!

BURSTNET
    admin@mailbox2.burstnet.net

Posted today at 06:15
    Your email client cannot read this email.
    To view it online, please go here:
    http://mailbox2.burstnet.net/display...d2&S=3&L=3&N=1

To stop receiving these
    emails:http://mailbox2.burstnet.net/unsubsc...95b9d2&L=3&N=3

Attachment 76a5408726c8dcc126c84181d44ad111 blocked - file type not allowed.

Attachment 2ec9991c60e62957e96c86c052b0c660 blocked - file type not allowed.
    █ Brian Kearney, Stealthy Hosting/Server Stadium Seattle, WA [AS23033] Skype: StealthyHosting
    Custom Dedicated Servers
    Low Cost Instant Dedicated Servers

█ Email: Sales@StealthyHosting.com

I would say you've been Limestoned, but this is lazier / maybe smarter than Limestone.

I hate the industry related spam, sadly, Burst isn't the first nor the last to do that...

First the VolumeDrive fiasco, and now this. I got this email at our abuse@ email, which is not obviously subscribing to anything.

Because most people opt-in with their abuse@ email?
    REDUNDANT.COMEquinix Data Centers Performance Optimized Network
    Managed & Unmanaged
    • Servers • Colocation • Cloud • VEEAM
    sales@redundant.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ionity View Post
    Because most people opt-in with their abuse@ email?
    I think the point is that normally they buy lists that are legitimate, but for some reason, intentional or not, this list was bad, either through scraping or whatever.

Unless you've been receiving emails at your abuse@ address for the 10 years burst has been sending out emails I don't see why what Burst is saying couldn't be the case.

Right, but this was clearly not the case here.

So, giving Burst.net the benefit of the doubt, in the best case this was still the result of negligence, as they most definitely spammed a lot of us hosting providers with this email campaign. Simply skimming this list they recently purchased for abuse@, sales@, support@ addresses, of which there appear to be many instances here, would have made it obvious that this list was not legitimate.

Direct marketing may be a valid form of marketing, but I would question whether it would have value when it comes to contacting hosting companies. I'd also question how many hosting providers, understanding full well the implications of signing up for such open-ended lists, would actually do so. Especially when considering how often we deal with and have a distaste for unsolicited e-mail.
    ASTUTE INTERNET: Advanced, customized, and scalable solutions with AS54527 Premium Performance and Canadian Optimized Network (Level3, Shaw, CogecoPeer1, GTT/Tinet),
    AS63213 Cost Effective High Performance Network (Cogent, HE, GTT/Tinet)
    Dedicated Hosting, Colo, Bandwidth, and Fiber out of Vancouver, Seattle, LA, Toronto, NYC, and Miami

Quote Originally Posted by hhw View Post
    Simply skimming this list they recently purchased for abuse@, sales@, support@ addresses, of which there appear to be many instances here, would have made it obvious that this list was not legitimate.
    Yes, we'll definitely be more careful there from now on.

Unbelievable! Multi-million $ company sending out spam.. You guys must be desperate..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast