Is cPanel DNS clustering working?

I'm trying to grasp this.

For now, I'm using two servers. Let's call them EU and USA.
    - EU is set to write-only
    - Does USA have to be set to something?

I don't see the EU records on USA in WHM.

Just so we're clear, you're trying to sync records from EU to USA, right?

If so, have you checked USA that the EU server is showing in the cluster? If not, add it to USA as a standalone so there's a reverse trust relationship.
    Shaun
    "Winners never quit. Quitters never win."

It's just now being set up. While I'll probably add more later, for now, I want to keep it simple (KISS). So EU copied to USA.

Configure Cluster >

I do see the USA server is set to Standalone -- and I didn't do that, so I assume cPanel did it. I set up EU only, as write-only. Neither have reverse trust enabled right now -- is that needed.

I went to edit a DNS zone, as I thought it would literally copy EU to USA, and I could see DNS entries from both sides. Is that not the case?
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

I'm a little confused... do you have multiple web servers and you are wanting to setup two DNS-Only cpanel servers?

Or do you have two servers, total, and you simply want both of them to contain all the zonefiles of both servers.
    We are eNom PLATINUM PLUS resellers!
    Sign up today for an eNom.com reseller account with lowest possible pricing.
    * We provide support and service to over 4275 happy eNom domain name and SSL certificate resellers!

What's EU & USA - Is one a name server or they both physical web servers... Confused isn't the word here.

I want to keep it KISS for now. So...

1 - I have two VPS (two servers). One in EU, one in USA. A and B.
    2 - I want both to have DNS records for both. So A has A and B, B has A and B.

I tried to set up a test. USA is supposed to have the records for EU and USA. But I don't see it. USA has just USA, both in WHM, and in SSH (/etc/named). So I either did something wrong, or it's not working. As I understand it, I can never see it via WHM, only in SSH anyway.

Eventually I want to have 3 servers setup to mirror the same 3 servers.

Adding more cPanel DNSONLY servers isn't what I want to do, if at all possible.

If possible, I want 2 reseller accounts to use that DNS as well. (Is that "white label" DNS?)

I don't like DNS. I've never used cPanel for it, but it's time I learn. Supposedly it'll make cPanel life easier if I use it instead of secondary DNS setups.

Quote Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post
    I want to keep it KISS for now. So...

1 - I have two VPS (two servers). One in EU, one in USA. A and B.
    2 - I want both to have DNS records for both. So A has A and B, B has A and B.
    1. Log into whm on server A, go to the Clustering page, and then add server B with the role of "Synchronize".

2. Log into whm on server B, go to the Clustering page, and then add server A with the role of "Synchronize".

Now when you make a zonefile update on either WHM/cpanel, it will sync to the other server.
    * We provide support and service to over 4275 happy eNom domain name and SSL certificate resellers!

cd/home --

EU and USA are just example hostnames/locations. Again, trying to KISS. It's two servers.

mrzippy --

What about "Setup Reverse Trust Relationship".

I made some changes, and I see stuff, but I want to ask that first.

The docs for WHM are not the best, when it comes to certain things. This is one of them. I've read docs at least 2x over, and still don't entirely understand their DNS implementation yet. I'm not a newbie, but rather this is new to me. Thanks for the nudges in the right direction. I think I'm close now!

role = Synchronize
    Setup Reverse Trust Relationship = ON

If you want to sync both ways.
    Vinsar.Net - Quality Web Hosting at Economical Price on USA & European Servers
    Offering domains, shared, reseller & VPS hosting.
    Reliable Domain Reseller Account Resell Domains with Confidence

The "Setup Reverse Trust Relationship" is an option you can enable when you add the remote server to the cluster.

Leave it checked/enabled.

When you go to the second server you will see it is already added to the cluster as "standalone". (because a reverse trust relationship was created) You need to change the role to Synchronize, and that's it. Done.

Quote Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post
    What about "Setup Reverse Trust Relationship".
    Yes, it's basically asking you if A can update B and B can update A.

The easiest way for you to do this is to set both A and B to Synchronise. Then you can edit a DNS zone on either VPS and it will update the other. It's also useful if one VPS goes down - You can still edit the zone on the other to redirect a site somewhere else temporarily.

Once you've got them synchronising and trusted you still need to synchronise.

It's a one-off thing to copy the zones on A to B and vice-versa. In WHM use the "Synchronise DNS Zones" option, select "Synchronise all zones to this server" and check the box to include zones not already on the server. Do this on both VPSs so A's zones get copied to B, and B's to A.

You should then be able to see all your zones in both VPSs and be able to edit them from either.

Clear as mud yet?

Thanks so far! The VPS and dedicated appear to be working.

Last question ... reseller accounts.

I don't want to use hostdns.com and the host's "white label" genericdns.com, I want my own. I'd think it possible, but cannot get it to work. When clustering, the reseller WHM login is used, and it's set to Standalone mode. Is this possible? It's set to sync from the cPanel server.

I tried some other white label methods via DNS only, but that partially failed, and therefore entirely failed. (I'm still tinkering with it, but the cPanel clustering would be best if possible.)

The nameserver hostnames has nothing to do with the clustering of DNS. You need to setup clustering with root in the WHM and not reseller user, so don't mess with it as a reseller user.

To use your own domain name for your nameservers, you must register your private nameservers with your domain name registrar. Use the same IPs provided by your host for each nameserver.

So if you want to use "ns1.yourdomain.com" instead of "ns1.host.com", then you go to your registrar and register your private nameserver (ns1.yourdomain.com) using whatever is the IP for "ns1.host.com".

Yeah, I get that. I've been a Windows admin for about 15 years now. Granted, I didn't pay attention to DNS until the last 7 or so years, but still not new. The issue was understanding what cPanel does. (Some of their docs have too little info.)

If root access is required by cPanel to cluster, then I guess it can't be done on reseller accounts. (Even though WHM has the ability to update it's own DNS to the cluster, as you can only see domains in the reseller account.)

The VPS/dedi is all set up now.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||