Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need a new budget host. Who's good these days?

So I've been with HostPC (now Turnkey something) for years. I only pay $25/yr since I'm on an ancient plan and they aren't great but I never had any major problems. Until now...

My wife noticed she hadn't gotten emails for 2 days and when I checked, I realized her site was down. I contacted them and they said they had some hardware issues and I needed to update my nameserver info, which I did. I don't know how long my site would have been down if I hadn't noticed...

Anyway, that started working fine and I then noticed that some data was missing from my "store" database. I contacted them again and they said they only do backups weekly so they could restore something from 9/6. The current info seemed to only go back to 8/24 so it was an extra 2 weeks. However, that means their system had a failure on 9/13 as that backup never happened and it's now the 24th and I'm just finding out about this stuff now.

They don't offer me any way of backing up more often unless I manually log into my DirectAdmin page and manually click the Backup button. It says it supports Cron Jobs but they don't seem to know how they work. They also don't seem to be able to offer more frequent backups either.

So, all of this combined means I'm looking to head somewhere else.

The site is for a simple blog and a simply store used for a school. Very little traffic and very little space. What's more important to me now is the safety of my data. So daily backups and/or redundant drives and things like that are required.

I've seen some mention of Dreamhost, Bluehost, Hostgator, etc but I honestly don't know anything about any of them. Can anyone point me to one that will be able to do daily backups of my site so I don't have to worry about losing data again? All it has to support is Wordpress and Opencart.

Thanks.

There are a lot of hosts nowadays that can provide even up to daily backups. Or maybe you could look into one that uses R1Soft backup service. Just try looking into the shared web hosting offers section.

Most host would support Wordpress as well as Opencart. So you shouldn't really worry about that.

Don't use:
    - Dreamhost
    - Godaddy
    - Yahoo
    - 1&1
    - the 50+ EIG brands, including Hostgator, Bluehost, Justhost, iPage, Fatcow, etc

Those are terrible hosts.

What do you need? We can help direct you towards some good hosts.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

I have to agree with kpmedia on this one. Stay away from the EIG brands if you are looking for quality. There are lots of "budget friendly" offers in the advertising section, take a look there to start. For us to give you recommendations, we would need to know more about your requirements, for example, location?
    Tyler S.
    TheWareHive.com | Hosting Sites Since 2010

"Problems Of Today, Meet Solutions Of Tomorrow"
    US East ~ Shared, Dedicated & Fully Managed VPS Solutions

Quote Originally Posted by kelemvor33 View Post
    All it has to support is Wordpress and Opencart.
    Just about any host will be able to support both, so your options are wide open.

Make sure you check reviews for any hosts you may be considering here on WHT beforehand though.
    SimpleSonic - We Make Fast... Easy!
    US/UK/MY - 100% Uptime - Shared - Reseller - cPanel - DirectAdmin - WHMCS Included!
    Blazing Fast NVMe SSD - CloudLinux - Imunify360 - LiteSpeed - MailChannels - JetBackup

Quote Originally Posted by TheWareHive View Post
    I have to agree with kpmedia on this one. Stay away from the EIG brands if you are looking for quality. There are lots of "budget friendly" offers in the advertising section, take a look there to start. For us to give you recommendations, we would need to know more about your requirements, for example, location?
    I really have no requirements other than the ability to have daily (or at least more frequent than just weekly) backups. I'm in the US and prefer the host also be. Other than that it doesn't make much difference to me.

I'll go check out the advertisement section and see what's there. This is jsut for a very small personal blog with a tiny private store attached that's used by a dozen people once per month. So literally, any host will probably do but I'd prefer one that's been around for a while and has the redundancy/ data safety in place.

Your requirements are pretty modest and almost any good provider will be able to meet your requirements. It might be a good idea to shoot a pre-sales email asking them about their backup procedures, frequency, software used, restoration charges, if any.
    Kushal || Host4Geeks || Operating Fully Owned Infrastructure out of 4 Global Datacenters US / UK / India
    Reseller Hosting - Pure SSD | Nginx + LSAPI | Let's Encrypt | WHMCS or Blesta | DDoS Protection| 24x7 Support
    Fully Managed SSD VPS - cPanel /WHM | Softaculous | Let's Encrypt | DDoS Protection | Proactive Monitoring | Server Hardening
    Datacenters - Los Angeles, CA | Lenoir, NC | London, UK |Pune, India

As others have said, I'm sure you'll find a host who takes backups more frequently than weekly. As Kushal pointed out, it's worth asking, and also whether they charge to restore from a backup.

The most important thing to remember is that backups are really taken for the host's benefit. It's usual for the terms and conditions to stress that it's your responsibility to take your own backups, so whatever backups your host takes, make sure you also keep your own. Keep them off the host's network - either on your home computer or on an offsite backup plan. How frequently you download backups offsite is, as always, determined by how far you are willing to go back in the worst crisis.
    Not as active on WHT as I used to be, but still drop in and receive email notifications from here.
    My personal blog site: https://www.oakleys.org.uk/blog

Quote Originally Posted by Xerixe View Post
    There are a lot of hosts nowadays that can provide even up to daily backups. Or maybe you could look into one that uses R1Soft backup service.
    Indeed, with R1Soft, depending on how your host configures it, you can restore your data from your preferred date the backup was taken. Some host using R1Soft can restore your data from up to 30 days back. This may be something you'll want to look into.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesOakley View Post
    As others have said, I'm sure you'll find a host who takes backups more frequently than weekly.
    Not if you use budget hosts.
    Something like that is a premium service. It takes servers, effort, etc. It's not free, cheap, or easy.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

Quote Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post
    Something like that is a premium service. It takes servers, effort, etc. It's not free, cheap, or easy.
    Depends on the provider really, the parent company to a budget host may actually have those funds/assets available.
    l Dedigeeks Shared Wordpress Dedicated Established 2006
    l Leading AUSTRALIAN Hosting Provider Sydney & Melbourne Datacentres
    l cPanel/WHM R1Soft Backups 24/7/365 Support SMS Hosting Alerts*
    l www.dedigeeks.com Managing Director Service Superstars

you will have a hard time finding a host that does daily backups for $25 a year.

Hi kelemvor33,

Unfortunately HostPC used to be a decent budget DA host then it all went to <use your imagination>.

Good news, there are plenty of established and reputable web hosts to recommend.
    Bad news, you're going to pay more than $25/yr and most use cPanel instead of DirectAdmin.

If the control panel is a deal breaker, I would suggest Alpha Hosting assuming Gary Harris is still the owner.

If you're OK with paying $6/mo and switching to cPanel, I have a few suggestions which are right up your alley.

BTW, your username seems vaguely familiar, do you post on any tech/hot deals forums?
    What's your budget?

Seriously, what's your budget?

Thanks kp - funny what you just take for granted and assume is standard.
    Not as active on WHT as I used to be, but still drop in and receive email notifications from here.
    My personal blog site: https://www.oakleys.org.uk/blog

Unfortunately, usually if a company gets too big, the support and hosting goes down the drain.

Don't use:
    - Dreamhost
    - Godaddy
    - Yahoo
    - 1&1
    - the 50+ EIG brands, including Hostgator, Bluehost, Justhost, iPage, Fatcow, etc

Those are terrible hosts.

What do you need? We can help direct you towards some good hosts.
    But these all above are well raputated hosting site why should we avoid these all companies?

Quote Originally Posted by Holly_Zook View Post
    But these all above are well raputated hosting site why should we avoid these all companies?
    No.

They are on fake/BS "top 10" lists because of payouts. Nothing more.
    Those are not good hosts rated by actual users.
    || Need a good host?
    ||

I would recommend taking a look at the offers forum area.

I think they are well known, which is different from well reputated

These are established web host companies but it depends on your own personal definition of reputable.

In my personal opinion, I would avoid them at all costs.
    What's your budget?

Seriously, what's your budget?

I prefer to focus on something much more important, reliable web hosting and great customer service. You'd better pay some extra dollars for reliability and speed than to see your websites down.

Daily backups take up a huge amount of space. Hosts that do daily backups actually usually do one weekly backup of everything, then daily incremental backups. So basically just multiply all the space all the files on the server take up by 2 or 3 and you can see the backup drive has to be able to hold 2-3 times as much as the full drive. And a good hosts likes a little safety cushion on the space so they'll get backup drives that are 5-10 times larger than the primary drive.

That all cost a lot more money than having a drive that's smaller than the primary drive. When they're charging basically $2.00 a month they have to save every dime and cut every corner they can in order just to break even. So that's why they only do weekly backups. It's cheaper.

You really can't expect premium services at $2.00 prices.

NTC hosting has a daily back up system (http://www.ntchosting.com/daily-data-backup.html) and it has really great reviews. I would suggest signing up with this company.
    Jeff F
    BuyCPanel.com - Instant CPanel and VPS License Activations!
    Lowest-Priced External CPanel Licenses
    http://www.BuyCPanel.com

Quote Originally Posted by RossMAN View Post
    Hi kelemvor33,

Unfortunately HostPC used to be a decent budget DA host then it all went to <use your imagination>.

Good news, there are plenty of established and reputable web hosts to recommend.
    Bad news, you're going to pay more than $25/yr and most use cPanel instead of DirectAdmin.

If the control panel is a deal breaker, I would suggest Alpha Hosting assuming Gary Harris is still the owner.

If you're OK with paying $6/mo and switching to cPanel, I have a few suggestions which are right up your alley.

BTW, your username seems vaguely familiar, do you post on any tech/hot deals forums?
    Heya Rossman,

Thanks for the info. Yes, I know your name from Anandtech and/or FW, SD, etc.

I don't care about the control panel. I just picked DA when I signed up with Hostpc ages ago.

I've seen people mention Stablehost which seems nice. Their cheap package is $4/mo or so. But am open to any other suggestions.

The other thing I'd like to add is some sort of shared SSL cert. I will have a small Store on my site. No payment information will be used but for creating a login and password, secure would be better.

Thanks.

You could just get a cheap unmanaged vps with a provider like BudgetVM and hire a system admin to setup the website on it for you, Or learn how to do it yourself.

Alternatively, if you can increase your budget a little you'll have a lot more hosts to choose from.
    HostXNow - Shared Web Hosting | Semi Dedicated Hosting | Enterprise Reseller Hosting | VPS Hosting

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast