Unhappy May need to ditch Hostgator, need suggestions

I'm on a shared hosting plan with Hostgator. Hostgator shut down my phpbb message board almost all day last Saturday, citing CPU overages. My board has been on Hostgator for 4 years without any problems whatsoever. Recently they migrated their servers, and suddenly they are telling me that I'm using too many resources. I think it's bull and I speculate that they are just overstuffing their new servers.

When I called them, they strongly suggested that I upgrade to the latest version of phpbb (I'm at 3.0.8 and the latest one is 3.0.11). I'm in the process of doing this. By the next day my board had returned. I've been monitoring it closely. Seems that, according to Hostgator's lame "CPU Usage Graph" my site is a very high CPU user.

Frankly I don't think that upgrading my phpbb version will solve the "problem." I think the "problem" is Hostgator. My board is no different now than it was a year ago in terms of traffic or CPU usage, as far as I can tell.

If it happens again, I'm going to be forced to ditch them. I could spend $25/mo on a VPS with Hostgator, but I don't want to reward them for crappy service.

Who would you guys recommend? I'm on a low budget plan with them - $59/year with a 3-year commitment (it just renewed in February for 3 more years). I can afford to spend more, but obviously I don't want to spend more than I have to. Hostgator is hosting my main website, and attached to that website is a phpbb message board. It's the message board that gets the most traffic.

Here are some stats on my message board, if it help anyone to steer me in the right direction for a new host:

Number of posts: 364836
    Posts per day: 109.96
    Number of topics: 37396
    Topics per day: 11.27
    Number of users: 13538
    Users per day: 4.08
    Number of attachments: 1965
    Attachments per day: 0.59
    Avatar directory size: 572.93 KiB
    Database size: 693.23 MiB
    Size of posted attachments: 124.64 MiB
    Database server: MySQL 5.5.23-55
    GZip compression: Off
    Board version: 3.0.8 [ Re-Check version ]
    Orphan attachments: 171

From Hostgator:

Disk Usage - 5,993.25MB
    Monthly Transfer - 62,845.48MB

Yesterday's traffic 5627 Visits
    Traffic this month 165648 Visits
    Traffic last month 204652 Visits
    Last edited by bbsadmin; 09-28-2013 at 11:03 PM.

I think you have no other option than moving to VPS or Dedicated, If you move to another shared host, again there possibility to suspend it. Did you check offers section ?
    LankaPartnerHost.Com
    Openvz SolusVm VPS DDOS Protected Canada & Romania
    Dedicated Servers And Satellite Dish Colocation with 1Gbps For IPTV
    Canada Anti DDOS Webhosting, Reseller Hosting, WHMsonic, WHMsonic Resellers

I'm new to this message board. Are the hosts who advertise in the Offers Section all considered to be decent?

Quote Originally Posted by bbsadmin View Post
    I'm new to this message board. Are the hosts who advertise in the Offers Section all considered to be decent?

not really

you need to consider 3 things while searching for web host
    1- How old is company
    2- Is company registered?
    3- How company overall performance is?

( btw you are another victim of EIG takeover of hostgator so d.w you are not alone )
    EdenHost.Com - Domains | Shared | Reseller | VPS | VPS Resellers | SSL
    Eden Web+ - We Develop Your Vision | Graphic Designing | Advertising and SEO | Web Designing | Web Development | Server Management | Website Management | Support Services
    Call/Text Us Today! +91-7509-077999 | +1-(828)-330-EDEN

If you want to get treated like a princess, I suggest fat guys on scooters.. and by that I mean BigScoots.com
    GeekDub Hosting, Reseller, VPS and more! ●

how many people are online at any given time? I usually recommend shared hosting for forums under 25 people at the same time.

Anything above that, you'll want to move to an semi-dedicated, VPS or dedicated.

For forums, skip shared altogether. It'll be a hassle.

Either use:
    - semi-dedicated (enterprise) hosting, like Stablehost
    - fully managed (no root) VPS hosting, like Namecheap or Site5
    - managed (with root) VPS hosting, and WHT has many hosts that you can research for this

At this time, you don't really need dedicated.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

There's a good chance HostGator is suffering the "EIG buyout effect" which in other words mean after they were bought EIG turned it upside down. However, given the size of your forum, even if you can fit into regular shared hosting, you may be on the higher end of the usage chart and may possibly need to upgrade in the near future. Why not consider a managed VPS?
    LIMENEX WEB HOSTING
    Affordable High Performance Web Hosting in United States & United Kingdom
    Web Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Managed VPS | Managed Dedicated Servers | Cheap SSL Certificates

Quote Originally Posted by Spluut View Post
    If you want to get treated like a princess, I suggest fat guys on scooters.. and by that I mean BigScoots.com
    Thanks for the mention Spluut! I thought we treated everyone like babies though? Now I am confused! Or are they baby princesses? In which case, that makes sense!
    www.BigScoots.com - Experience the Difference, Ride With Us
    Specializing in Premium Shared, Reseller, VPS, Hybrid and Dedicated Hosting
    Fully Managed | 100% Positive Approval Rating! | Server Migrations
    REAL 24/7/365 US Based ~5 Minute Response Times | 100% Network Uptime

Quote Originally Posted by stablehost View Post
    how many people are online at any given time? I usually recommend shared hosting for forums under 25 people at the same time.

Anything above that, you'll want to move to an semi-dedicated, VPS or dedicated.
    It varies, but at any given time I may have up to 30 people on the forum at once. About a quarter of those "people" are usually googlebot, bingbot, etc, so I'm not sure if those count from a data/cpu perspective.

I had recently discovered that my .htacess file was not good enough, so hopefully soon when I update it, the crap bots won't be able to get in, and maybe that will help.

The stats you have shared are quite good and if I have to suggest as per the stats then you should consider a VPS. Optimize the htaccess, even after that if there is no change then you should strictly move on to a VPS.
    █ MilesWeb.com - Your Hosting, Our Responsibility!
    cPanel Hosting | Reseller Hosting | WordPress Hosting: SSD Storage & One-click Staging
    VPS Hosting - Managed & Unmanaged KVM & OpenVZ VPS | VPS Reseller
    █ Hosting Servers in [India | UK | US | Romania] - 24/7 Support | Instant Setup | Data Migration

Frankly I don't think that upgrading my phpbb version will solve the "problem." I think the "problem" is Hostgator. My board is no different now than it was a year ago in terms of traffic or CPU usage, as far as I can tell
    The 'problem' is your usage - now they've moved you to something where they can monitor this, it's beyond what they allow.

The 'solution' is to find a new host/service and dig a bit deeper in your pockets - from the details you've provided a managed VPS may be a better solution for you.
    Rob Golding Astutium Ltd - UK based ICANN Accredited Domain Registrar - proud to accept BitCoins
    Buying Web Hosts and Domain Registrars Today @ hostacquisitions.co.uk
    UK Web Hosting | UK VPS | UK Dedicated Servers | ADSL/FTTC | Backup/DR | Cloud
    UK Colocation | Reseller Accounts | IPv6 Transit | Secondary MX | DNS | WHMCS Modules

If you have just renewed for three years will they allow you to transfer that credit to a vps package? This will give you an idea of how the site performs and while you are doing this look around for another provider if you dont want to give hostgator your money. Make sure you have a good current backup of your site at all times.

Hostgator is just a bad host, period. Even if you paid 3 years, just leave it.
    Yes, it sucks, but staying with HG for even another year will suck more.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

What makes Hostgator so bad? I was with them and they were fine for me. But back then I didn't know much about web hosting...

Quote Originally Posted by Hostomer View Post
    What makes Hostgator so bad? I was with them and they were fine for me. But back then I didn't know much about web hosting...
    I believe they were good but went downhill after EIG bought them.
    LIMENEX WEB HOSTING
    Affordable High Performance Web Hosting in United States & United Kingdom
    Web Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Managed VPS | Managed Dedicated Servers | Cheap SSL Certificates

I'm also a old customer form Hostgator and I had to move after the big problems since the migration and buyout to EIG.

I don't take care on the money I also had a 2 year plan with Hostgator but It's not worth if I get sick every second day.

I'm now with Crocweb and I'm happy with them and the service maybe you would have a look also on their webhosting plans quit not sure about your forum if the plans would fit but maybe just ask them and try it out.
    In my mind with your smal amount of visitors etc. is should not be a huge problem for shared hosting as long they don't overselling the server like EIG.

I don't consider suspending a long term user for high usage good practice. Obviously it takes time and options. Any host that doesn't give you time and upgrade path options isn't a very caring host.

Go to the Offers Section: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45

Look at VPS, Dedicated (overkill if you are asking me) and Managed Service Prover and look them over and contact those you like with your Stats. See how much they would charge you to host that. Ask if they are willing to work with you and help keep your site up and give you fair upgrade options in the future.

Honestly, unless something changed overnight (your usage, your practices, or a security breach) that is no way to treat folks!

There are both good and bad, once in a while one that is very bad, advertising here.

As far as your situation goes, I'd suggest a modest sized dedicated server.

If you choose a dedicated server expect to pay $40 to $100 a month, if you choose a high end VPS maybe $25 to $75 a month.

Avoid low cost or bargain VPS options, but low cost dedicated servers pose less risk if the provider is reliable.
    Skeptic Hosting
    Promoting a reality-based lifestyle choice
    Hosting by invitation only, nothing for sale

While there is no formal vetting process here (OK there are minor ones) there is also no better place to begin your examination. Other websites that post lists and links are highly suspect. Were they paid off? Are they shill sites owned by hosts? At least here there is plenty of opinion and feedback.

1). I suggest you come up with a list of your expectations in a host (how much and what kind of support) plus your stats.
    2). Read the claims here and then look at their website. How much detail backs up what you need and what they claim.
    3). Evaluate their support. Can you view it? What forms of support? Can you get a phone number for emergencies (if that is important)?
    4). Contact them and ask lots of questions. Did they read your request and answer your submission accurately, and in your judgement in an honest and informative way?
    5). Narrow your list down.
    6). Go back to forums and read posts about the host and their practices.
    7). Do a bit of sleuthing. Find the rep here on the forums and read their posts. Are they polite, informative and helpful? When answering complaints do they seek to resolve things with a firm standard of respect (even in light of an angry customer)? Judge the positive reviews against negative ones. Sometimes a few issues, that look as if they are resolved, are just evidence on how useful this forum is and so weigh everything.
    8). Select a host and come back here and post reviews--good or bad!

In my honest opinion there is no better tool added to your gut and carefully weighed needs and assessment than this forum. It is the largest and most active.

Happy hunting!
    Last edited by gPowerHost; 09-29-2013 at 10:58 AM. Reason: typos

HostGator = Bad. The points have already been laid out as to why.

For your new host, a few suggestions;

1. a vps with reputable company or if it's one site, you could also look into a WordPress dedicated host

2. If your not attached to cpanel, look into this setup;

- ubuntu or debian (centos/apache/cpanel uses more resources)
    - nignx
    - percona database
    - some cases varnish

That setup will allow your site to move quickly and give you any form of hiccups or issues. Also with a vps, you will have more control to use such options as gzip, apc, and optimizing your database to your specific needs, while allowing your site to grow before the need of dedicated server.

I'm glad that this thread got some good responses. Thank you all for giving me some good advice!

I agree that this is no way to treat a long-time customer that never had any previous problems, even if I am on a low-budget plan. When I called them, the tech gave me a very weird excuse: "Since we migrated our servers, we're monitoring things more closely now, so if you use more than 25% of resources we have to disable your site."

So....for four years (or more) they just weren't paying attention? Or, since the takeover by EIG and since migrating their servers, they decided to get greedy? Hmmm.....which is more likely?

Where can I find a comprehensive list of hosting companies that are owned by EIG? I want to make sure that I don't accidentally sign up with another one of them if I do move hosts.

And I agree...Hostgator USED TO be good. Everyone recommended them and said that their service was terrific. Now, however, I think it's a different story.

Where can I find a comprehensive list of hosting companies that are owned by EIG? I want to make sure that I don't accidentally sign up with another one of them if I do move hosts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enduran...national_Group

Information about EIG

But ok the list is huge and I would say just stay with a "smaler" company how know what you need instead of a big player how don't take care about you.

I had not a bad Service with Hostgator until they got sold to EIG.

I'm glad that this thread got some good responses. Thank you all for giving me some good advice!

I agree that this is no way to treat a long-time customer that never had any previous problems, even if I am on a low-budget plan. When I called them, the tech gave me a very weird excuse: "Since we migrated our servers, we're monitoring things more closely now, so if you use more than 25% of resources we have to disable your site."

So....for four years (or more) they just weren't paying attention? Or, since the takeover by EIG and since migrating their servers, they decided to get greedy? Hmmm.....which is more likely?

And I agree...Hostgator USED TO be good. Everyone recommended them and said that their service was terrific. Now, however, I think it's a different story.

EIG is sad overall. One of their acquired hosts used to be in Canada...about 20 minutes from me. Soon after everyone was fired and the operation moved South.

The worst part was getting a hold of support and getting the same answer of "Sorry for these issues during our upgrade" while people lost all their websites and emails.

It's also sad because a lot of people left other hosts and went to HG.

You should probably consider moving to a VPS since with a large board, your website will be on a constant risk of suspension on a shared host. Do check out the offers section for searching for a managed VPS. Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Hostomer View Post
    LMAF, if I had time I could write you a long list. I was with them for around 10 years & they were good back in the day but will F up your business now. Even took 3 times to get my cancellation through and finalized.

Quote Originally Posted by Spluut View Post
    Even if your hostgator account is fine now, you should take this advice and move to bigscoots NOW and avoid the inevitable future frustrations. I researched & tested several hosts from reviews posted here and moved to bigscoots.com and they have been awesome! If there are issues they figure it out quickly and solve the problem instead of shutting down your account like HG will do.

Lightbulb

Well if you decide to change I would just go through WHT, there are tons of great deals on shared hosting, VPS's and Dedis to fit nearly all needs. Some will even offer even more off their WHT Price!
    My advice

Quote Originally Posted by Virtualgeorge View Post
    LMAF, if I had time I could write you a long list. I was with them for around 10 years & they were good back in the day but will F up your business now. Even took 3 times to get my cancellation through and finalized.

Even if your hostgator account is fine now, you should take this advice and move to bigscoots NOW and avoid the inevitable future frustrations. I researched & tested several hosts from reviews posted here and moved to bigscoots.com and they have been awesome! If there are issues they figure it out quickly and solve the problem instead of shutting down your account like HG will do.
    Happy to have you George, go vikings!

Quote Originally Posted by Sirgeneralj View Post
    Well if you decide to change I would just go through WHT, there are tons of great deals on shared hosting, VPS's and Dedis to fit nearly all needs. Some will even offer even more off their WHT Price!
    My advice
    If your making money with your site or hosting for clients, I would NOT go for the cheapest deal, look for the BEST support. Like the OP said, they were having a cpu usage issue or what ever that caused tier site to be suspended. I had one of my eCommerce sites suspended for the same reason and chat, ticket, & phone support at HG all gave me different reasons as to why it happened and none of them knew what the hell they were doing or were just inexperienced.

I don't look at the cost anymore, it is well worth a little extra to have support that is equally fast & knowledgeable if you have a business site.

Just so happens that when I moved to Scoots that they were cheaper than what I was paying - Bonus! But would pay twice as much for the good service.

Congratulations! It appears that you are growing out of a shared plan. Traffic does eat up resources.

Considering the size of your forum; it may be batter to consider a VPS or Cloud Server; I would also recommend managed services and monitoring. There are a number of providers that offer both.
    Hosted Desktops include Manages Support, Disaster Recovery and More!
    Hosted Desktops - Managed Services - Infrastructure as a Service
    UCclouds.com "Everything UC is in the Cloud"

I left hostgator a couple of weeks ago. I'm with bigscotts.com now and I recommend it. But I will go for a vps. Reseller is small for what you need.

Quote Originally Posted by CARLOSOD View Post
    I left hostgator a couple of weeks ago. I'm with bigscotts.com now and I recommend it. But I will go for a vps. Reseller is small for what you need.
    "BigScoots" lol -- I promise we're not named after me

Thanks for the mention though Carlos! Appreciate it!

Well, I'm giving BigScoots a try. I spoke to Scott today and felt very comfortable with what they offer.

Hostgator took down my message board again tonight, and they are having a really hard time figuring out why they can't get it to come back up. They unrestricted it for my IP address, but the rest of the world still can't see it. My main website is up, but the message board is not. I have been on the phone with them for a half hour. This is ridiculous.

They seem like a bunch of knuckleheads over there. Nothing but excuses and lame suggestions. I will be glad to wash my hands of them. It's a shame because they used to be a very good host.

When I spoke to them earlier today, they told me that if I close my account, I will get back the balance of my paid 3 years on my credit card. Fine. Hasta la vista, baby.

Quote Originally Posted by BigScoots-Scott View Post
    "BigScoots" lol -- I promise we're not named after me

Thanks for the mention though Carlos! Appreciate it!
    BigScotts does have a good ring to it though!
    No Need for one...

Quote Originally Posted by MSHMatt View Post
    BigScotts does have a good ring to it though!
    BigScotts with slogan: It's all under the kilt

Last night Hostgator gave me the stupidest reason why my message board is using too much CPU: I have too many IP's in my Banned List! I was on the phone with them for at least a half hour while they tried to get my message board back up. They just couldn't figure out why it wasn't showing up, when my main site was up.

I've had it with them. I had talked to Scott from BigScoots earlier in the day, and decided to go with them. I exchanged several emails with Justin, the other partner. Overnight, they migrated my website to their servers -- including the DNS records. I have to say, I'm blown away by their level of service. This morning, my message board is lightening-fast and I'm astounded at how smoothly the entire process went.

Hopefully everything will continue to go well with BigScoots and my site's move to new servers.

All I have to say is: Hostgator has gone to sh*t. If you have a site that is on shared hosting with Hostgator, be careful. If you start having problems, don't listen to what they say. Just go find another host.

Last night Hostgator gave me the stupidest reason why my message board is using too much CPU: I have too many IP's in my Banned List! I was on the phone with them for at least a half hour while they tried to get my message board back up. They just couldn't figure out why it wasn't showing up, when my main site was up.

I've had it with them. I had talked to Scott from BigScoots earlier in the day, and decided to go with them. I exchanged several emails with Justin, the other partner. Overnight, they migrated my website to their servers -- including the DNS records. I have to say, I'm blown away by their level of service. This morning, my message board is lightening-fast and I'm astounded at how smoothly the entire process went.

Hopefully everything will continue to go well with BigScoots and my site's move to new servers.

All I have to say is: Hostgator has gone to sh*t. If you have a site that is on shared hosting with Hostgator, be careful. If you start having problems, don't listen to what they say. Just go find another host.
    Excellent, happy to have you

Though in hostgator's defense to many IPs "banned" as they said can cause some "lag" as each IP that enters the site needs to scan that list first. If you're talking many thousands, then perhaps that is accurate -- though, things can be done to prevent such things from occurring.

Never the less, excited to have you here on board with us -- looking forward to many years ahead together

I have to ask, reseller or vps?
    Bigscoooooooots

Quote Originally Posted by CARLOSOD View Post
    I have to ask, reseller or vps?
    Bigscoooooooots
    We went the reseller route for the time being, there were some optimizations we did to lessen the load and prevent a VPS upgrade.

All looks well, and the forum is flying!