Spam: My Host is not doing a thing

I have one Email address that is receiving anywhere form 20-30 Spams a day. I have 5 domains hosted with this provider and I am beginning to see one of the other domains starting to get the same Spam
    I contacted them and asked if they could advise on how to stop the spam from coming in. Their best answer is to change the Spam Assassin default, but beware of false positives. Really this is the best you can do?

Any other hosting sites that take this kind of an issue seriously or am I on my own to battle with it?

great filtering costs $$$$ there are providers that do that they are not cheap tho.

if your talking about a $5-$15 a month host then yes thats the best you will get.

It sounds like the host isn't using any (ever basic) DNSBLs.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

use cloudflare buddy

They're right - the problem is false positives. I've battled spam for years (20-30 messages a day is not unusual at all) and it's possible to do aggressive filtering ("greylisting" is particularly effective) but discarding wanted messages is a big problem if it's done by the hosting provider.

The best solution I found is a Bayesian filter that learns what each user considers "spam" and can be trained. Gmail does this simply by dragging messages from the spam folder to the inbox or vice versa if they are misclassified. You still have to check the spam folder once in a while but it keeps the inbox pretty clean once the filter is trained. So one good solution is to set up a Gmail account and forward all mail there.

Alternatively, you can install something like Squirrelmail on your server and host the mail filter yourself.
    Phil McKerracher

For an individual, the best solution is either to pay for third party spam filtering from someone like MailRoute, or use your Gmail account to collect, filter, and then send you the spam. I think Gmail allows you to collect 5 or so different email accounts, with the ability to still use your website's mail port to send replies.

Of course your provider is in no way the source of the spam. I hope you agree with that.

Different providers have different levels of support. They make differing tools available. As others have suggested, any great degree spam protection provided by a host will cost money or time. Tools don't just work themselves, and every account needs different settings. If you are expecting your host to do something I would question why? Unless they specifically touted that they offer some level of spam filtering technology or support then you should assume none.

The disclaimer "beware of false positives" could be said with any recommendation. But don't discount Spam Assassin's ability to do a better job. Try adjusting the settings. Out of the box, as many hosts have it configured, it lets a good deal of spam through. It should. Because for some it could block wanted email at setting "20" and for others not even at setting "5". But if you tweak it it does better. As they warned you have to check to see if it is getting it right before you have it start deleting email "Low scoring spam default score".

Assuming you are just using a shared cpanel host, ask if they just have Spam Assassin or if they also have something like ConfigServer MailScanner Front-End, which is an excellent tool. But like all tools it takes management. Either pay a good fully managed host that cares and wants to help you reduce spam, because that is what you pay them for or at least adjust and utilize the tools at hand. As fshagan suggested, you could forward email to gmail and have it filter for you. I think that a good provider can do much better than gmail, but it sounds like my idea of a good provider may not be your host. Or they are a good budget out of the box cpanel provider.

If you have a VPS you can install and implement your own apps. and start the work yourself.

Just figure out what a few hours of labor costs and see if what you are paying your host could honestly include that amount of service. If you are paying enough then you should expect more!
    Last edited by gPowerHost; 09-28-2013 at 01:30 PM. Reason: clarification

Quote Originally Posted by electron_prince View Post
    use cloudflare buddy
    CF doesn't work for email.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

Gmail and GoogleApps I find is Gold when it comes to fighting spam. The most spam that leaks through is maybe 3 or 4 in a year. I won't get into Yahoo and how 3600 spam emails can leak through their "aggressive" make-believe spam filters.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberhouse View Post
    if your talking about a $5-$15 a month host then yes thats the best you will get.
    Even a 5-15$/mo host should do a better job than that

Quote Originally Posted by thehosterdude View Post
    Even a 5-15$/mo host should do a better job than that
    True.

Grzldvt,

If your current host find is not as helpful, perhaps looking elsewhere for a better host.

Sometimes with a shared host, there version of maintenance is "the green light is flashing" so everything is fine!?!?!

Also with shared account, you could be victim of whatever another account or host is not enforcing.

Try some spam settings on your own, see if it helps, then possibly look elsewhere.

Look into using a provider like Gmail for business.