Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How to migrate a website domain from shared hosting to VPS hosting ?

Hi guys. I have a domain which I bought from a registrar company, and am currently using it for my website which is currently running on shared hosting through another company.

Today I purchased a VPS host, installed Centos 6.4 on it, and now I want to move the domain's nameservers so that the domain now comes to my VPS. How do I do this ?!

With shared hosting, it was simple. I just had to take the provider's nameservers, and use them with the host. Now I think it's more complicated. The VPS hosting I now have is also unmanaged, so the techs there aren't interested much in helping out. They said I have to set some DNS properties first, or something ?!

I also just purchased a cPanel VPS licence, so can that help somehow ? Although cPanel still needs to be installed.

Can someone guide me on this, or maybe link a tutorial ? I found a few tutorials, suggesting their own methods. Didn't know which one to follow, and also they were pretty old, so not sure if they were still the best method or not.

Help .. ?

Once you get cPanel installed, you can use the transfer feature in WHM to transfer everything from your old account automatically. You'll need to wait for the transfer to complete and then change the DNS A-record to point to your new server.

Quote Originally Posted by ahmadka View Post
    Hi guys. I have a domain which I bought from a registrar company, and am currently using it for my website which is currently running on shared hosting through another company.

Today I purchased a VPS host, installed Centos 6.4 on it, and now I want to move the domain's nameservers so that the domain now comes to my VPS. How do I do this ?!

With shared hosting, it was simple. I just had to take the provider's nameservers, and use them with the host. Now I think it's more complicated. The VPS hosting I now have is also unmanaged, so the techs there aren't interested much in helping out. They said I have to set some DNS properties first, or something ?!

I also just purchased a cPanel VPS licence, so can that help somehow ? Although cPanel still needs to be installed.

Can someone guide me on this, or maybe link a tutorial ? I found a few tutorials, suggesting their own methods. Didn't know which one to follow, and also they were pretty old, so not sure if they were still the best method or not.

Help .. ?
    To install cPanel is simple:

http://docs.cpanel.net/twiki/bin/vie...allationGuide/

So I'll move the account like this:

1. Setup hostname (like servername.newdomain.com) and ns records on your VPS. (from a newdomain.com or you can use you existing domain).
    2. Register NS records to your registrar (ns1.newdomain.com and ns2.newdomain.com).
    3. use cPanel option to copy account from another server (if your previous provider has cPanel).
    4. Change the ns records at your registrar with the new one, keep those 2 domains on the same time (like this you have no downtime, will be something else to do for databases if you have).
    5. When you'll see that your domain is propagated over the internet just remove the old account from your previous provider.

Ask me if you want more info.

Regards
    George B. | ROWEBCA
    Web Hosting Services & Server Management

Doesn't cPanel require the domain to first be fully working, before cPanel can be installed ?

https://www.buycpanel.com/requestinstall

Have a look at point 7. Doesn't that mean I need to correctly point the domain to the new VPS location first, before installing cPanel ?

Also, I'd like to not move anything from my previous host if possible. I'd like to install everything from fresh. I'll manually move data from my previous provider later on afterwards manually.

Doesn't cPanel require the domain to first be fully working, before cPanel can be installed ?

Have a look at point 7. Doesn't that mean I need to correctly point the domain to the new VPS location first, before installing cPanel ?

Also, I'd like to not move anything from my previous host if possible. I'd like to install everything from fresh. I'll manually move data from my previous provider later on afterwards manually.
    You can add a cname for your domain (where your existing domain is):

newserver.domain.com

and pointed to the shared IP from your new VPS.

But you can install with no problem and adjust things after.

Regards
    George B. | ROWEBCA

Do not pay for an installation all you have to do to install cPanel is from your command line:

1. root@whatever# cd /home
    2. root@whatever# wget -N http://httpupdate.cpanel.net/latest
    3. root@whatever# sh latest

Is it difficult to pay for?

Regards
    George B. | ROWEBCA

I'm sorry, I re-read your earlier instructions, and still it seems a little unclear to me ..

Let's get into a little more detail, so that you can use specific terms in your answer, so that I can relate which you're talking about where ..

the URL's I'm giving below are dummies ..

Let's assume that my existing hosting provider's name is tangohost.com, and my site's domain is directlink.com.sg. The new host I want to move to is viprovps.com, and the static IP of my VPS is 182.63.78.139. Also, the current nameservers listed for directlink.com.sg are ns1.tangohost.com and ns2.tangohost.com.

And like I said, I have installed Centos 6.4 on the VPS running at IP 182.63.78.139.

Do note that I don't want to transfer cPanel data from my old host to the new one. I want to install a fresh cPanel on my VPS, and then setup everything like databases, etc, manually, at the new location.

So now, what steps do I follow ?

Quote Originally Posted by Rowebca View Post
    Do not pay for an installation all you have to do to install cPanel is from your command line:

1. root@whatever# cd /home
    2. root@whatever# wget -N http://httpupdate.cpanel.net/latest
    3. root@whatever# sh latest

Is it difficult to pay for?

Regards
    I got it from buycpanel.com, and they offer installation for free. I just have to submit a request for it, but I don't know if I should as I don't know if I meet that Requirement #7 that I pointed out earlier.

I got it from buycpanel.com, and they offer installation for free. I just have to submit a request for it, but I don't know if I should as I don't know if I meet that Requirement #7 that I pointed out earlier.
    Buy the license, install cPanel and forget about "Requirement #7".

Regards
    George B. | ROWEBCA

Buy the license, install cPanel and forget about "Requirement #7".

Regards
    Sure, that I can do. What about after installing cPanel though ?

I'm sorry, I re-read your earlier instructions, and still it seems a little unclear to me ..

Let's get into a little more detail, so that you can use specific terms in your answer, so that I can relate which you're talking about where ..

the URL's I'm giving below are dummies ..

Let's assume that my existing hosting provider's name is tangohost.com, and my site's domain is directlink.com.sg. The new host I want to move to is viprovps.com, and the static IP of my VPS is 182.63.78.139. Also, the current nameservers listed for directlink.com.sg are ns1.tangohost.com and ns2.tangohost.com.

And like I said, I have installed Centos 6.4 on the VPS running at IP 182.63.78.139.

Do note that I don't want to transfer cPanel data from my old host to the new one. I want to install a fresh cPanel on my VPS, and then setup everything like databases, etc, manually, at the new location.

So now, what steps do I follow ?
    Do it like this: (sorry I am not a good teacher, and not very social )

1. Buy license(submit your ip:182.63.78.139)
    2. Install cPanel.
    3. Register NS records to your registrar (ns1.newdomain.com and ns2.newdomain.com)
    4. Point those NS records to new ip's
    (here is starting your case).
    5. Create a new domain (the domain that you want to move) on your new vps.
    6. Point your domain to those new NS records
    7. and after the domain will be propagated (24 -48 hours) over the internet move manually your account from your previous provider to your vps.

Note: Like I wrote in my previous reply you can add a cname (for nameoftheserver) in your existing DNS zone (your actual provider) and pointed to the VPS ip, like this you'll have the hostname.

Regards
    George B. | ROWEBCA

If you use cpanel, it's easy. Do a backup and then import that backup in your vps.

Rowebca, thanks for your help, but if you had used the sample values I had provided, it would have made your intructions easier to follow .. I'm a beginner and this is the very first I'm deploying a site on a VPS

I've added some questions to your post below. I'm using the sample values I provided in my previous post.

Do it like this: (sorry I am not a good teacher, and not very social )

1. Buy license(submit your ip:182.63.78.139)
    2. Install cPanel.
    3. Register NS records to your registrar (ns1.newdomain.com and ns2.newdomain.com) --> So you're saying I should ask my registrar to point directlink.com.sg towards ns1.tangohost.com and ns2.tangohost.com ?
    4. Point those NS records to new ip's --> How do I do this ?
    (here is starting your case).
    5. Create a new domain (the domain that you want to move) on your new vps. --> What exactly do you mean by 'domain' here ? The website address, directlink.com.sg ?
    6. Point your domain to those new NS records --> Again, no clue an what you're telling here
    7. and after the domain will be propagated (24 -48 hours) over the internet move manually your account from your previous provider to your vps.

Regards
    Also, I've just finished cPanel installation. I'm not sure if it's installed properly though .. I have tried opening IP:2087, etc, but nothing opens ..

EDIT:

I have a feeling that there are some concepts here which I might not be aware of ... The fact that you use 'domain' so much, in different contexts too I think, makes me think this .. Is there a more details tutorial I should probably follow ?
    Last edited by ahmadka; 09-27-2013 at 06:14 PM.

A little update. Turns out I can open cPanel console from within the VPS, using localhost:2087 (which gets mapped to http://centos664templatebase.cs1cloud.internal:2087)

But if I tried to access it from outside, using my VPS's static public IP:2087, it won't load .. Why is that ?

Anyways, I've done cPanel settings, but don't know where to go from here on out. My website address still points to its old and existing shared hosting home.

I used the following settings for setting up cPanel:

FQDN: server.directlink.com.sg
    Resolvers:
    #1: My Provider's gateway IP
    #2: 8.8.8.8
    #3: 4.2.2.2

Enter IP addresses step: Skipped it because I currently only have 1 IPv4 IP

Nameserver software used: BIND

Nameservers:
    ns1.directlink.com.sg
    ns2.directlink.com.sg

Since I only have one IPv4 IP right now, I configured both ns1.directlink.com.sg and ns2.directlink.com.sg to point to my VPS's IPv4 IP.

I also ticked the 'Add A Entries for Hostname' option, and entered my VPS's IPv4 IP there

---

So what do I do now ? How do I get my site to point to the new VPS location ? What nameservers values do I provide to the Website Domain Registrar Company ? Do I need to my VPS providers to do anything ? Anything else I need to do ?

Your ip is not publicly available
    make sure you have set up your network configuration
    according to what your provider has specified or have them correct it.

unless you just made up this IP 182.63.78.139

Quote Originally Posted by HostingBig View Post
    Your ip is not publicly available
    make sure you have set up your network configuration
    according to what your provider has specified or have them correct it.

unless you just made up this IP 182.63.78.139
    Actually that's not the issue. I am able to connect to my machine via putty.

Also, the issue is with :2087 somehow, because if I try IP/cpanel, it works. Although, IP:2087 does not work, but localhost:2087 from within the VPS works.

That's a minor issue though.

Given the cPanel configuration data I used (mentioned in my previous post above), how do I point the URL of my site to the new VPS location ?

ns1.directlink.com.sg
    ns2.directlink.com.sg

register your name servers with your registrar to your public ip
    you only have one so use the same IP it is true its not technically correct but it will still work (most registrars will allow you to do this)

after the name servers have propagated point your domain to
    ns1.directlink.com.sg
    ns2.directlink.com.sg

this assumes you have all ready set up your domain in your new cpanel server

I'm not sure what's the difference between the first and second step that you mentioned.

I'm assuming that in the first step, you're saying that at my registrar's system, I specify ns1.directlink.com.sg and ns2.directlink.com.sg has being the two nameservers for my website address directlink.com.sg ?

Like this (this is the namerserver specifying menu at my registrar's site): http://i.imgur.com/x11xbk0.png ?

But if I do this, how will the nameservers resolve to the IP ? I mean how does this translation happen: ns1.directlink.com.sg --> 182.63.78.139 (i.e. IP of my VPS) ? The internet doesn't yet know that this VPS at 182.63.78.139 is my site's new home .. How do I tell the internet that ? Don't I need to setup a reverse DNS or something somewhere ?

In your second step, I don't know what you mean by "point your domain to" ... What's domain here ? directlink.com.sg ? If so, then isn't this the same as the first step ? i.e. point the domain('s nameservers) to ...

Yeah I know, n00bs are a pain ..
    Last edited by ahmadka; 09-27-2013 at 08:00 PM.

No the first step is totally different the name servers need to be registered before you can set any domains to them.
    register your name servers with your registrar to your public ip
    ns1= 182.63.78.139
    ns2= 182.63.78.139
    the internet doesn't yet know that this VPS at 182.63.78.139 is my site's new home .. How do I tell the internet that
    That is what the step above is for

set your domain directlink.com.sg to
    ns1.directlink.com.sg & ns2.directlink.com.sg after you do the step above

A reverse DNS is set up by the ip block owner (your provider)
    Has nothing to do with your DNS set to your servers hostname

But I don't see a feature on my registrar's website which lets me first define a mapping for:

ns1.directlink.com.sg <---> 182.63.78.139
    ns2.directlink.com.sg <---> 182.63.78.139

All I see there is a page on which I have to define a nameserver set, like as shown in the picture here: http://i.imgur.com/x11xbk0.png

The idea is to define such a nameserver set, and then configure my website domain to use that nameserver set.

Even right now, the website URL uses my shared hosting provider's nameserver, ns1.tangohost.com & ns2.tangohost.com. And on my registrar's website, I only see control to define a nameserver set containing ns1.tangohost.com and ns2.tangohost.com. I do NOT see a feature here which lets me specify which IP(s) do ns1.tangohost.com and ns1.tangohost.com specifically go to ..

Also, please note that in my case, the registrar company is NOT the shared hosting company, OR the new VPS hosting company, in my case .. They are just a completely separate register company ..

you should be asking your registrar these questions as no one here knows who your registrar is

Quote Originally Posted by HostingBig View Post
    you should be asking your registrar these questions as no one here knows who your registrar is
    I have found a 'Glue Record' feature on their site, which looks like this: http://i.imgur.com/wr71ovY.png

Is this what I need ? Any idea what 'Overwrite Legacy hosts' means, and if I need to check that option ?

^^ Waiting for a response guys ..

(Yeah I know I'm being impatient :p)

^^ Waiting for a response guys ..

(Yeah I know I'm being impatient :p)
    Who is your registrar? Is your domain a top level domain (like google.com)? Usually you just have to write:

ns1.yourdomain.com "and" 182.63.78.139

I can't tell you what you have to do if I don't have all the information about your case.

This process it is suppose to be extremely easy, depending on your registrar.

Regards
    George B. | ROWEBCA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast