Your Virtualization Choice

Your choice in Virtualization is :

1. Xen
    2. KVM
    3. OpenVZ
    4. VMware

& Why ?

Xen! Primarily because it offers the best isolation from neighboring VMs.
    ▄▀▄ Brian Harrison, Lead Engineer - Reprise Hosting (AS62838)
    ▄▀▄ Deals on cheap dedicated server hosting. IPMI included! Unmetered bandwidth.
    ▄▀▄ Website migration, 24/7/365 support, basic server setup, 15 day money back.
    ▄▀▄ Looking for DEALS on self-managed cheap VPS hosting? Visit

KVM for better isolation of resources and other containers, and the truest hardware virtualization of any virtualization platform.

I personally like xen because we have the choice of windows and linux operating system

OpenVZ because of performance and ease of use. Just my opinion. Would like to try Xen sometime.

OpenVZ is a great virtualization technology, but easily oversold by greedy providers and thus having much worse reputation than it deserves. We prefer Xen for paravirtualization and linux native KVM for full virtualization.

Glasgow, Scotland

Quote Originally Posted by vStan View Post
    KVM for better isolation of resources and other containers, and the truest hardware virtualization of any virtualization platform.

HostUS - Premium Hosting Made Affordable
    EIGHT Worldwide locations spanning USA, Europe & Asia Pacific
    Own ASN, Own Network, Own IP's - AS7489 & AS25926

+1 for Xen
    Looking for shared or reseller or VPS Hosting ?
    Try our service at!
    Singapore - Indonesia - Malaysia

Both Xen and OpenVZ are great. Xen is better for slower machines where an I/O problem can appear with slow raid array. - Web Hosting with DDoS Protection | Shared & Reseller in Europe/North America
    Linux/Windows RDP VPS 13 Locations : UK, US (5 states), Mexico, Canada, Bulgaria, Lithuania,
    Italy, France, Germany,Netherlands, Switzerland, Rissia, Singapore | OpenVPN/PPTP Enabled
    INSTANT | PayPal, Skrill, Payza, Bitcoin, WebMoney, Perfect Money, Ukash, CashU, paysafecard

KVM or VMware, solely because of the complete isolation. Full Xen virtualization would be fine as well, but not para-virtualized.

It's tiring to deal with hosts who recompile kernels without certain modules or can't fix a clock. Having full isolation gives us the freedom to get things working correctly without dealing with the host.
    WonderProxy can help your team do localization testing from around the globe. With more than 200 locations there's no excuse for not testing your website.
    The Where's It Up? API can help multiply your monitoring infrastructure. You can request pings, traceroutes, DNS checks, and HTTP checks from all across the WonderProxy network.

With Linux we use XenServer now free.
    With windows we use windows 2012 (amazing performance)

you can use open vz for linux and you cant to use for windows
    i thing xenserver is goofer than another
    vmware is good but you cand fige dedicated resurce

OpenVZ... Its fast, easy to manage, runs on just about anything.

Its just got a bad rap because so many webhost over sell it to the point of impacting performance of the whole node.

I've been looking into KVM recently so that will most likely be the next virtualization type that we offer.

I also use Hyper-V 2012 on a personal level for test environments. I like the older versions better personally.

I prefer HyperV 2012.

We have run XenServer for a few years but it's pretty ironic that the Linux support is better in HyperV than XenServer...

The XenServer paravirtualization is horrible for Linux - only a few distributions supported.

+1 KVM
    Plus OpenVZ for lower price for Linux
    Cheap Windows VPS | Linux VPS | Dedicated Servers Within Your budget
    Accept Credit Cards, PayPal, Payza, PerfectMoney, Moneybookers, BitCoin and ....
    Instant Windows and Linux VPS Activation

Great isolation, dedicated resources and "true-er" virtualised hardware.
    Shaun F
    "Winners never quit. Quitters never win."
    RyleeJames - High Performance Web Hosting
    Shared Hosting | Reseller Hosting | VPS | Dedicated | Get in touch!

Surrey, BC
    KVM then XEN. Never OpenVZ for me unless it's low priority/personal hobbies.

+1 for Xen.
    Reliable for production environment. :: Cloud Hosting Reliable Xen VPS :: Serving Customer From More Than 40 Countries.
    Hosting Services Available in the USA ● Germany ● Malaysia ● Singapore and Hong Kong

Re: Your Virtualization Choice

I use OpenVZ for hosting small and not so resource intensive things. When more power is needed, Xen is my choice. OpenVZ is usually enough for me so I sometimes choose it because of lower prices.

Dubai, UAE
    We're running OpenVZ internally for our website and other small development projects, but customers go straight onto Xen. We had some bad experiences with KVM.

United Kingdom
    + 1 for XEN, as it's more stable and without any issues on Linux or Windows VPS.
    -1 for OpenVZ as majority times the providers will oversell the server resources and it's noticeable.
    Low Cost Storage VPS plans at
    VPS Price Match Guarantee on: All our range of DDOS protected XEN HVM VPS
    == Contact us for any online solution development or managed / unmanaged vps hosting ==

Honestly, since I generally am rolling out something like a Wordpress or a Django site, my requirements are pretty generic. Because of that, it boils down to the reliability/management of the host itself. There are some providers who offer OpenVZ instances that have better reliability/uptime/performance that some Xen and KVM providers that I have used.

KVM. Virtualises most of the server that is not private, and does not allow overcrowding (I think)

We've been using KVM from our beginnings 3 years ago. We are very staisfied
    Linux / FreeBSD VPS + Dedicated Servers

I personally like Xen then OpenVZ.
    BD Web Services | Since 2009
    Linux & Windows Hosting | Master Reseller Hosting | Remote Backup | Money Back Guarantee | DDOS Protected | USA & Germany
    Web and SEO Tools cPanel/WHM Proxy, DNS, SEO, GEO, QR Code, Website information AT-A-GLANCE

+1 KVM
    It is Possible running SolusVM and Virtualizor on KVM.

+1 VMware
    It's easy to use.

Good question
    VMWare, firstly -- no fuss solution that just works. Great when I need a vm up in a hurry.

Secondly, KVM.