Thread: 533GB Monthly

533GB Monthly

I was wondering if 533GB monthly transfer was decent and if someone could use somewhat of an analogy to explain what thats like, eg."a large site like theverge.com might so something like 3tb monthly".
    Thanks in advance.

It all depends on what you are doing with the VPS. 533 GB per month gives an average usage of 19.077 GB per day. Another way of looking at it is that bandwidth would support an average of just over 13 MB of data transfer every minute.

If the VPS is just serving web pages, that's about 650 hits per minute (assuming a 20 KB page size). If the VPS is serving up video, a 30-minute, standard definition .MP4 is sized about 150 MB. Five hits every hour will pretty much use up all that bandwidth.

Enjoy!

Wow, thanks!
    That sounds pretty good.
    It's actually just webpages and a teamspeak server that runs constantly.
    Would teamspeak be a huge strain?

Quote Originally Posted by dannymichel View Post
    Wow, thanks!
    That sounds pretty good.
    It's actually just webpages and a teamspeak server that runs constantly.
    Would teamspeak be a huge strain?
    Teamspeak(provided you have average of upto 50 users on it all the time) hardly uses any bandwidth.A bandwidth of 100-200 GB would be more than enough solely for that purpose.If the website is just with limited audience like for a gaming clan or traffic is not much, 533 Gb would be more than enough for teamspeak and website combined

Thanks again.
    I run maybe 13 websites, and my 2 personal websites do quite a bit of traffic. I'd link them but they're NSFW.

If you are already running those websites, you should be able to run a traffic analysis to show what is your average and peak bandwidth usage. The big guesswork is how much it spikes if the content ever gets slashdot'd !

http://www.theverge.com/ is obviously using a CDN. If you have such a web site a CDN is a must to fulfill the bandwidth needs.
    QHoster.com - Web Hosting with DDoS Protection | Shared & Reseller in Europe/North America
    Linux/Windows RDP VPS 13 Locations : UK, US (5 states), Mexico, Canada, Bulgaria, Lithuania,
    Italy, France, Germany,Netherlands, Switzerland, Rissia, Singapore | OpenVPN/PPTP Enabled
    INSTANT | PayPal, Skrill, Payza, Bitcoin, WebMoney, Perfect Money, Ukash, CashU, paysafecard

Don't bother wasting money on things you don't need. I've heard nothing to suggest you need anything more than a VPS. A CDN is more than likely an overkill unless you are running into network issues. Your requirements don't seem out of the ordinary. We can speculate all day on how much bandwidth you need, but the only way to find out is to monitor your monthly usage.
    CloudRck.com - Host on Cloudrck
    Unmetered VPS Solutions at it's finest

If you need a site like mentioned theverge.com you need to "waste" money.
    QHoster.com - Web Hosting with DDoS Protection | Shared & Reseller in Europe/North America
    Linux/Windows RDP VPS 13 Locations : UK, US (5 states), Mexico, Canada, Bulgaria, Lithuania,
    Italy, France, Germany,Netherlands, Switzerland, Rissia, Singapore | OpenVPN/PPTP Enabled
    INSTANT | PayPal, Skrill, Payza, Bitcoin, WebMoney, Perfect Money, Ukash, CashU, paysafecard

A CDN is really at most a minimal gain if your setup is already good along with your hosts network and servers.

I have some forums that average 2k unique visitors a day and servers up a pretty decent amount of media (HD pics mostly) and I use up about 600GB a month.

I was using theverge as a high traffic example. I run a fashion magazine. My goal is not to 'have a site like theverge'.
    However, I have used MaxCDN combined with cloudflare, but now only use cloudflare, as MaxCDN's pricing structure has changed.