Anyone using Gmail for all their clients

Email is a big issue for some clients and if it goes down for a minute they are on the phone/email. I've heard some hosting co's can pipe their email through gmail for all their clients......how does this work?

Thanks,

you mean through Google apps or actual gmail?

this is done through google apps but if you want that kinda of reliability you will need exchange in the cloud thats true email
    Fully Managed | cPanel Shared Hosting | Windows Shared (coming soon) | R1Soft Daily Backups | FFmpeg packages
    Base 10 Hosting LLC
    follow us on twitter - @Base10Hosting

Agree with Ray on this. Especially since Google is recovering from a major issue that affected not only their Google Mail app platform but gmail.com email addresses. I believe that a conservative estimate was a 50% outage for everyone. so you had a 1 in 2 chance of being affected.

Look at Hosted Exchange or run your own Exchange server that's redundant.
    Doug Hazard - "retired" Web Hosting Master
    * Full Stack (Web/WP) Dev for The Catholic Diocese of Richmond (160+ sites)
    * Sports Photographer, Media Personality and CFB Historian
    * Tech Admin for several Sports Networks/Sites

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
    Agree with Ray on this. Especially since Google is recovering from a major issue that affected not only their Google Mail app platform but gmail.com email addresses. I believe that a conservative estimate was a 50% outage for everyone. so you had a 1 in 2 chance of being affected.

Look at Hosted Exchange or run your own Exchange server that's redundant.
    Very true but MS exchange is very hardware intensive and costly to run u need a solution in the cloud where you are paying per mailbox each month.

Be sure to gather a list of providers and ask them all the questions you can write it down and consider and come back here and ask more questions if need be
    Fully Managed | cPanel Shared Hosting | Windows Shared (coming soon) | R1Soft Daily Backups | FFmpeg packages
    Base 10 Hosting LLC
    follow us on twitter - @Base10Hosting

Gmail can work however I prefer using my own email server.

thanks for all of this, I've looked at a few options that were per mailbox but it really cuts into revenue and gmail apps is $5/mo/mailbox so it's super expensive.....I use it myself and it's pretty good

If you're looking to outsource email at a low cost, take a look at ResellerClub.com. Pricing is very competitive, however, the service isn't in the same league as Exchange feature for feature (think basic mail functionality).
    WHMEasyBackup.com - Take Control Of Your Backups!
    Complete Backup Solution For WHM Reseller Accounts

Quote Originally Posted by DWS2006 View Post
    If you're looking to outsource email at a low cost, take a look at ResellerClub.com. Pricing is very competitive, however, the service isn't in the same league as Exchange feature for feature (think basic mail functionality).
    EIG bought Directi (Reseller Club, etc).
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

Quote Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post
    EIG bought Directi (Reseller Club, etc).
    Unfortunate indeed, especially since so many registrars are tied up in LogicBoxes.

Did they already go through with that? I was under the impression that EIG was still putting together the capital. But now or later, I guess the end result is the same. here's to hoping they at least keep the dev team in place.
    WHMEasyBackup.com - Take Control Of Your Backups!
    Complete Backup Solution For WHM Reseller Accounts

Check custom domains at http://www.domains.live.com
    Vinsar.Net - Quality Web Hosting at Economical Price on USA & European Servers
    Offering domains, shared, reseller & VPS hosting.
    Reliable Domain Reseller Account Resell Domains with Confidence

I've always heard good from people using RackSpace email. It might be expensive depending on the number of mailboxes you need. Another alternative might be to run your own setup, consisting of something like Zimbra.
    Kushal || Host4Geeks || Operating Fully Owned Infrastructure out of 4 Global Datacenters US / UK / India
    Reseller Hosting - Pure SSD | Nginx + LSAPI | Let's Encrypt | WHMCS or Blesta | DDoS Protection| 24x7 Support
    Fully Managed SSD VPS - cPanel /WHM | Softaculous | Let's Encrypt | DDoS Protection | Proactive Monitoring | Server Hardening
    Datacenters - Los Angeles, CA | Lenoir, NC | London, UK |Pune, India

I used to use gmail for email for my clients. But recently, outlook seems more of a better option. You could try outlook. It has a nice interface. Clearly Microsoft did something good with outlook.
    Rockstarhost - Your choice for speed & simplicity
    █ Shared, Reseller, VPS & Dedicated Servers
    Instant setup | Paypal, Payaza, Bitcoin, OKPay
    █ Contact us at[support@rockstarhost.com]

Thumbs up

use amazon ses i started using it a few months ago. Its by far the most cheap solution i seen . i send out a few k emails a month for only 1,75$

I use google apps for one of my personal domain names, that works because it is one of the sites that the email cannot go down, or have issues. That, and google apps has some nice things like Docs, calendar, etc. that work nicely.

I've been running my own email servers for the rest of the sites though, and using ThunderBird for my email client

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
    Especially since Google is recovering from a major issue that affected not only their Google Mail app platform but gmail.com email addresses. I believe that a conservative estimate was a 50% outage for everyone. so you had a 1 in 2 chance of being affected.
    This can happen with any service though.

IMHO Google apps is good enough for corporate usage. Although I ditched them for any new domains once they became completely paid service, since I had some alternatives available (live domains, zimbra).
    If you need collaboration tools also then there is nothing like Google apps.

I use GMAIL for the spam filtering. Works really well however mail does have to go through our mail server as it's a mail forward to my gmail account. I always use my work address to send out, and I can still pop my regular email account, but don't do it. Gmail is really really worked out well for this reason even with spam filtering setup on the local email server the Gmail spam filtering works awesome.
    Lee Linton | Sr. Account Manager | HIVELOCITY
    Everything Bare Metal
    GLOBAL DATA CENTERS | NORTH AMERICA | EUROPE | APAC |