Question Webmin vs Directadmin

Ok, so I am having trouble deciding what panel to use - Do you guys like Webmin or Directadmin better for use on an unmanaged VPS ?

Depends on your needs,skills to manage a VPS and budget.As I do not need a lot of complicated stuff to manage on my VPS, I prefer Webmin because its open source where as Directadmin costs.

DA is great if you need an out of the box solution that both you and your customers can quickly and easily use.

Webmin requires a little more work up front, and if you want your end users to also have their own access, you'll also need to install Virtualmin.

On the flip side, Webmin/Virtualmin are free/open source, whereas DA does cost anywhere from $5 - $20/mo (unless you buy your own license outright).

Pros and cons to both. Both are fairly decent, too.
    Douglas Hazard - Certifiable Sports Junkie and Sports Community Enthusiast

Host of Two Cents Radio - Follow @TwoCentsRadio on Twitter (@BearlyDoug on Twitter)

If your management skills are in the novice range then DA would be the better choice
    Lowest Host/Empire Technology LLC
    Offering Quality Shared, Reseller, VPS servers, and Dedicated Servers
    24x7 Tech Support http://empire-hosting.net
    XEN Servers Now http://xenserversnow.com - Budget XEN VPS /

Quote Originally Posted by Sledger View Post
    Depends on your needs,skills to manage a VPS and budget.As I do not need a lot of complicated stuff to manage on my VPS, I prefer Webmin because its open source where as Directadmin costs.
    ah, ok, I totally missed that directadmin costs :-P. Then it is webmin for sure. Is webmin the best panle of the open source options ?

Quote Originally Posted by HostingBig View Post
    If your management skills are in the novice range then DA would be the better choice
    Yes, I am somewhat of a newbie at server admin and was looking for an open source panel to use, so I don't need to do everything via command line.

Webmin believe me. learn about it and enjoy it
    Treat your password like your toothbrush. Don't let anybody else use it, and get a new one every six months.Sancte Michael Archangele, defende nos in proelio, contra nequitiam et insidias diaboli esto praesidium. Imperet illi Deus, supplices deprecamur: tuque, Princeps militiae coelestis, Satanam aliosque spiritus malignos, qui ad perditionem animarum pervagantur in mundo, divina virtute, in infernum detrude. Amen

Personal use? Only you using it? Webmin/Virtualmin.

If you're going to be hosting other people then I'd think about a paid solution.
    Will Rogers said, "there's 3 sorts of people in this world, those who learn by books, those who learn by the experiences of others, and those who just have to pee on the electric fence every now and then."

Quote Originally Posted by hostn00b View Post
    ah, ok, I totally missed that directadmin costs :-P. Then it is webmin for sure. Is webmin the best panle of the open source options ?
    I think Webmin is the best of the breed for free panels. It's rough around the edges and isn't nearly as user-friendly as DA, but it gets the job done. Just be patient with it and be prepared to learn. If you can put up with its somewhat "interesting" personality, and don't mind occasionally digging in and doing things the hard way, it's a fine panel. And you can't beat the price!
    Fresh Roasted Hosting :: High-performance Harrisburg web hosting since 2012!
    "The only thing better than the world's best customer service is never needing them in the first place."
    Shared :: VPS :: Reseller :: Dedicated :: Co-Location :: SSL Certificates

Their both great panels. The choice is 100% up to you it all depends on many factors as to which one is just out right the best. Both have cons and pros. One cost and the other is free / open source. Both have a ton of different features also.

I would rather go with the free option and that is with webmin as much as it's open source it's just a wonderful control panel. It also gives your customers more control over their account. The choice is up to you and depends on weather or not it meets your requirements or not.

Webmin isn't a control panel.
    Virtualmin is the control panel, like DirectAdmin.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

DirectAdmin more than sure. webmin is just "script/s on click" working at the background.
    LVPSHosting.com|Virtual Private Servers|Dedicated Servers|
    Managed Hosting Solution|24/7/365 Support
    Datacentar and servers location: Holland, Europe

Re: Webmin vs Directadmin

When you get to basics isn't that all panels?

Basically they are just a graphical interface to preprepared scripts.

Press the pretty picture instead of typing a command.
    Will Rogers said, "there's 3 sorts of people in this world, those who learn by books, those who learn by the experiences of others, and those who just have to pee on the electric fence every now and then."

DirectAdmin is leaps and bounds better than Webmin if you're willing to pay the license fee. Both have been around for a long time, but there's a reason why one is free and the other isn't.
    ▄▀▄ Brian Harrison, Lead Engineer - Reprise Hosting (AS62838)
    ▄▀▄ Deals on cheap dedicated server hosting. IPMI included! Unmetered bandwidth.
    ▄▀▄ Website migration, 24/7/365 support, basic server setup, 15 day money back.
    ▄▀▄ Looking for DEALS on self-managed cheap VPS hosting? Visit VPSHostingDEAL.com

DirectAdmin is more stable, lightweight and gets pretty much all the jobs you need done. Their support is awesome as well. Very much worth its price.
    www.VMotionHost.com
    Web Hosting, XenServer VPS, Dedicated Servers in Ireland
    24/7 technical support. Professional Service

I much perfer DirectAdmin. Even more than cPanel.

I would definitely recommend using webmin. Their website is full of guides on how to perform tasks, and the UI is very simple to use. Accessing settings and configurations for modules is, in my opinion, much easier compared to directadmin.
    Jeff F
    BuyCPanel.com - Instant CPanel and VPS License Activations!
    Lowest-Priced External CPanel Licenses
    http://www.BuyCPanel.com

DirectAdmin is amazing. Old hosting control panel focusing on speed and security. It is definitely the better choice.
    QHoster.com - Web Hosting with DDoS Protection | Shared & Reseller in Europe/North America
    Linux/Windows RDP VPS 13 Locations : UK, US (5 states), Mexico, Canada, Bulgaria, Lithuania,
    Italy, France, Germany,Netherlands, Switzerland, Rissia, Singapore | OpenVPN/PPTP Enabled
    INSTANT | PayPal, Skrill, Payza, Bitcoin, WebMoney, Perfect Money, Ukash, CashU, paysafecard

I like both Webmin/Virtualmin and DirectAdmin. Honestly, I run both DA and Webmin (not Virtualmin) on most of my own servers in tandem (webmin works fine in tandem with cpanel as well). If other users need to access the CP, DA is definitely worth the money. VirtualMin is good, but has some unusual quirks that make it less friendly to the typical shared hosting customer, though for personal use it's great.
    WHMEasyBackup.com - Take Control Of Your Backups!
    Complete Backup Solution For WHM Reseller Accounts
    Download Trial

I agree that I wouldn't give an typical hosting end user acces to webmin/virtualmin, it doesn't spoon feed them enough. AsI fully manage my clients sites they don't need or get any control panel access.

It is nice to know direct admin will run side by side / having run through teh demo I can see if any one (of my clients) needed a control panel it gives me an option.

Quote Originally Posted by lazyt View Post
    When you get to basics isn't that all panels?

True, it is all commands like Windows/DOS, but between cPanel and Webmin, Webmin gives you the freedom to customize to your needs and not be limited to centos/apache. cPanel's integration is so deep that sometimes any adjustments break things.