Help me choose between a few Cloud VPS Providers ..

Hi guys ... So I'm in the market for a Cloud VPS Provider, and I made a panel of about 10 top known providers, and contested between them to see which one(s) come out on top.

I asked them all about 25 questions each, ranging from all kinds of things, and the result is that 4 names have come out on top.

Each of them seems to have some kind of plus/minus points, so I'm hoping you guys can help me decide:

1) Gridlane:

Seems like a small company, but at least from their answers, they seem to be proper cloud based! KVM based virtualization with a custom cloud orchestration software. Their storage is 2 independent RAID 10 SAS storages, which are in full replication, and are SAN based. SSD-Cache also available. They have automatic failover, and they say if a node fails, my VPS will automatically boot from another node within 3 minutes. You can upgrade/downgrade resources instantly from their control panel as well. Their costs seem good too. But they don't offer refunds of any kind.

The only problem is that their control panel doesn't 'look' that good :p

2) Elastichosts:

KVM based again, with their custom cloud orchestration software: ElasicStack. Their storage is local RAID 1 disks, installed directly within the node running the VPS, meaning its not 'cloud' based exactly in this regard. No SAN storage. SSD storage is available, but is super expensive! SSD-Cache only available if SSD storage is used. Resources can be up/downgraded individually, and instantly from their control panel. No failover scheme of any kind. If the parent node fails, a technician will manually try to revive it. No cloud aspect here again. Their prices are higher too.

No refunds here too.

Have to say though, their control panel interface is excellent! It's very very informative and well designed, and let's you see a lot of realtime data.

3) VPS:

XEN + OnApp based. Storage is just one SAN based RAID 10. No SSD-Cache. Failover is manual. If a node fails, a technician manually moves the VPS instance to another node, and this can take 15-30 minutes. Block based up/downgrades, which are automatically applied through their control panel.

Not sure if they issue refunds or not. Haven't asked this yet.

4) Cloud VPS:

XEN based + ZeroOne orchestration (their own), but they say they're switching to OpenStack by December. SAN-based RAID 10 with SSD Caching. Up/downgrades is a manual procedure currently, until OpenStack launches. Automatic switch to another node (HVM) within a few minutes, if the primary fails. Refund issued only if service is canceled within the first 2 weeks. If service is canceled after the first two weeks, nothing is refunded, not even the unused payment amount (it remains as a credit within them) !

-----------

So which host should I go with ?

Personally Gridlane seems to be the winner here, as all their answers reflect true Cloud technology, but still they seem like a new company n all.

So need some advice here people !
    Last edited by ahmadka; 09-26-2013 at 02:43 PM.

Did you review Leaseweb cloud and/or iwStack? These are on my short list for a future cloud project. Does gridlane really offer a virtual private network?

I have some space at Cloud VPS for the last 3-4 months and haven't had any issues with downtime and the email support been fast the couple times I did email them questions. I have a windows VPS there, I know the do linux too.

I do not have any experience with the other companies that you mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by u137 View Post
    Did you review Leaseweb cloud and/or iwStack? These are on my short list for a future cloud project. Does gridlane really offer a virtual private network?
    I'll contact them both. Leaseweb is a US company, right ? I was aiming for European establishments.

Gridlane does provide the facility I think. I say that in their Gridmanager.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwagar View Post
    I have some space at Cloud VPS for the last 3-4 months and haven't had any issues with downtime and the email support been fast the couple times I did email them questions. I have a windows VPS there, I know the do linux too.

I do not have any experience with the other companies that you mentioned.
    Compared to the rate at which I received reply from other company's sales, Cloud VPS was relatively slow in their replies. Gridlane people were the fastest.

The primary points to worry about, are the quality of the stability and quality of support.

Out of curiosity, why are refunds are criteria?

Guys, if there are any other notable Cloud providers which I should consult, please do let me know about them.

I'm looking for providers with locations in or close to Asia.

Quote Originally Posted by VPSPowerUser View Post
    The primary points to worry about, are the quality of the stability and quality of support.
    Of course ! But still it doesn't hurt to get into the specifics a little, to see what's under the hood.

Quote Originally Posted by dediserve View Post
    Out of curiosity, why are refunds are criteria?
    Just in case I try out the service but I'm not impressed, and I'd like to move somewhere else.

Gotcha! Most then should offer a trial, or coupon to let you try things out and test network, IO, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by dediserve View Post
    Gotcha! Most then should offer a trial, or coupon to let you try things out and test network, IO, etc.
    Yup, that's the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by ahmadka View Post
    Hi guys ... So I'm in the market for a Cloud VPS Provider, and I made a panel of about 10 top known providers, and contested between them to see which one(s) come out on top.

I asked them all about 25 questions each, ranging from all kinds of things, and the result is that 4 names have come out on top.

Each of them seems to have some kind of plus/minus points, so I'm hoping you guys can help me decide:

1) Gridlane:

Seems like a small company, but at least from their answers, they seem to be proper cloud based! KVM based virtualization with a custom cloud orchestration software. Their storage is 2 independent RAID 10 SAS storages, which are in full replication, and are SAN based. SSD-Cache also available. They have automatic failover, and they say if a node fails, my VPS will automatically boot from another node within 3 minutes. You can upgrade/downgrade resources instantly from their control panel as well. Their costs seem good too. But they don't offer refunds of any kind.

The only problem is that their control panel doesn't 'look' that good :p

2) Elastichosts:

KVM based again, with their custom cloud orchestration software: ElasicStack. Their storage is local RAID 1 disks, installed directly within the node running the VPS, meaning its not 'cloud' based exactly in this regard. No SAN storage. SSD storage is available, but is super expensive! SSD-Cache only available if SSD storage is used. Resources can be up/downgraded individually, and instantly from their control panel. No failover scheme of any kind. If the parent node fails, a technician will manually try to revive it. No cloud aspect here again. Their prices are higher too.

No refunds here too.

Have to say though, their control panel interface is excellent! It's very very informative and well designed, and let's you see a lot of realtime data.

3) VPS:

XEN + OnApp based. Storage is just one SAN based RAID 10. No SSD-Cache. Failover is manual. If a node fails, a technician manually moves the VPS instance to another node, and this can take 15-30 minutes. Block based up/downgrades, which are automatically applied through their control panel.

Not sure if they issue refunds or not. Haven't asked this yet.

4) Cloud VPS:

XEN based + ZeroOne orchestration (their own), but they say they're switching to OpenStack by December. SAN-based RAID 10 with SSD Caching. Up/downgrades is a manual procedure currently, until OpenStack launches. Automatic switch to another node (HVM) within a few minutes, if the primary fails. Refund issued only if service is canceled within the first 2 weeks. If service is canceled after the first two weeks, nothing is refunded, not even the unused payment amount (it remains as a credit within them) !

-----------

So which host should I go with ?

Personally Gridlane seems to be the winner here, as all their answers reflect true Cloud technology, but still they seem like a new company n all.

So need some advice here people !
    I'm with Gridlane for some month now, up to now no problem at all.
    Perhaps a little bit slow on disk performance?

I like their control panel, you can add rdns and IP, you and easily change amount of memory and cpu.

Good luck.

Gunnar
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    VPS at HostHatch - VPS at Gridlane - VPS at The Host House

I like gridlane's control panel cause you can easily scale and their vps is pretty reliable. I only have a wish they would offer more cpu allocation to lower plans but overall they are great.

VPS.net looks good too because of their optimized ips and low latency

I'm using iwStack from Prometeus/IperWeb for Cloud based in Italy. For US based, I just use Digital Ocean

go with gridlane .. their service is good.

Have you check dediserve? they provide great support.
    Looking around for some time
    PM me for Website Design and Web Development Work.