Web based email clients

I have just set up an email address in cpanel and now want a web based email client. It needs to be web based because there are two different people who need to be able to access this email client.

Any recommendations? Free ones!

Thanks,

Jon

RoundCube?

Not quite with you, Jon. Presumably you know that cPanel ships with 3(?) webmail clients that can be used without you having to do anything.

What exactly is your question?
    James

Interested in which hosts I'd recommend? Unmanaged VPS Reviews | Managed VPS Reviews

Just to clarify, it needs to be web based. Looks like RoundCube is an app you download?

Do you mean Horde etc? If so, are they any good or just very basic?

cPanel comes with RoundCube, Horde and SquirrelMail.

Of those 3, my favourite is RoundCube (which in this context is a webmail interface rather than an app). I find it to be a pretty decent webmail client. Try and see what you think. It's improved a lot over the past year or two.

https://yourdomain.com:2096 should get you to a sign-in, and from there you can choose which webmail interface you use. Roundcube should be one of the ones listed.
    James

Interested in which hosts I'd recommend? Unmanaged VPS Reviews | Managed VPS Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Jon12345 View Post
    I have just set up an email address in cpanel and now want a web based email client. It needs to be web based because there are two different people who need to be able to access this email client.

Thanks,

Jon
    Hi Jon,

Have you tried heading to "yourdomain.com/webmail"; a standard cPanel installation ships with three webmail clients (squirrelmail, horde and roundcube).

You should be presented with a login box, within which you place your email address and the password specified when you created the account within cPanel earlier.

Karl
    Clook: Fully Managed UK Based Hosting CloudFlare Optimised Partner!
    Established 12 Years - 24/7/365 Support (<10m Avg. Response Time)
    Shared, Reseller, vServer, Dedicated and Beyond
    0845 867 2550 Sales - Visit our Website

When I tried heading to "yourdomain.com/webmail", I get this page: This Connection is Untrusted. Add exception etc.

Why is that?

Because there is no SSL certificate installed for yourdomain.com, or if there is it isn't the one that the webmail port (2096) is using.

Try using the name of the server. If your on a server called smarties.besthost.com, use https://smarties.besthost.com:2096 and you'll get the webmail.

If you still get warnings, the host needs to install a valid service SSL for webmail.
    James

I'm in RoundCube now. To access it, do you use the cpanel login settings? If so, I'm thinking that could be a security risk as its a outsourced contractor who will be loggin in.

No - if you use the port 2096 link I gave you, you'll be able to enter the e-mail address for the mailbox and the password for that mail account. You can gain access to that one mailbox without accessing cPanel.
    James

Ahh good to know thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon12345 View Post

Thanks,

Jon
    RoundCube works well for a webmail based solution. But also remember that you can set multiple users up to access the same mailbox using IMAP. They will have access to all of the same folders and messages using IMAP. Try the Thunderbird email client in IMAP mode (instead of POP3). A good IMAP based email client will nearly always work better than any webmail client.
    No Support Linux Hosting Bargain cPanel Hosting Experts Only
    We IGNORE the support questions, and pass the SAVINGS on to YOU!
    We also ignore questions about VPS Hosting

RoundCube is a great email web biased client that ships with all cPanel installations and licenses. The two other clients aren't bad at all either. You should be fine using round cube.

As mentioned each cPanel comes with Horde, Squirrelmail and RoundCube by default and your client should be able to choose which of the three they want to use. Its only a case of personal preference as all 3 have practically the same functionality, just different outlook.

To be fair tho, there are minor differences that may make one or the other more favorable - SquirrelMail is the most basic of the 3 with its simple old school design. RoundCube is a little more easy-on-the-eye but in terms of functionality its practically the same. The only one that differs more is Horde - it benefits from a mobile device interface, more options for task organizing, calendars etc.

At the end of the day, each of them can easily serve its purpose and they are quite reliable too
    www.WebHostFace.com where Service always comes with a smiling face!
    Contact us for Shared, VPS, Reseller and Dedicated Hosting Solutions.

As already mentioned by several people, cPanel has 3 webmail clients built in. You can access them from yourdomain.com/webmail/ Simply login with your email address and password you created in cPanel.

I am also a fan of RoudCube, but I often use SquirrelMail on a mobile device if I need webmail access quickly to something I don't want to configure a regular client for. It's clean, simple and fast.