Web Hosting Company for a Newbie

Hi,

I'll keep it short. I have gone through almost hundreds of hosting websites/reviews/discussions/forums/etc. which confused me all the more.

If you were a newbie, which hosting would you buy?

Type: Shared
    Renewal Cost: Important
    Uptime: Very Important
    Tech Support: Very Important

Thanks

PS - Reply only if you have used that hosting company's services. Post the domain you host with them.

If you are a newbie, shared hosting is always the best choice. But could you please be more specific what you are searching for, then we are more than willing to help you.

I know that from my own experience that how difficult it might be to choose right one for you.

But there are hundreads of hosting companies who are offering shared hosting, therefore please specify what you are willing to know.

If i were newbie, I will pick host that best fit for my need, It has decent space to start with and off course, I must be affordable for me

What kind of website you have to host? any specific location u have in mind ? & budget ? Company depends on your requirements ...
    LankaPartnerHost.Com
    Openvz SolusVm VPS DDOS Protected Canada & Romania
    Dedicated Servers And Satellite Dish Colocation with 1Gbps For IPTV
    Canada Anti DDOS Webhosting, Reseller Hosting, WHMsonic, WHMsonic Resellers

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by jonebox View Post
    If you are a newbie, shared hosting is always the best choice. But could you please be more specific what you are searching for, then we are more than willing to help you.

I know that from my own experience that how difficult it might be to choose right one for you.

But there are hundreads of hosting companies who are offering shared hosting, therefore please specify what you are willing to know.
    The specifics:
    Fitness Websites (2-3 to begin with)
    Price: not more than $8/mo initially
    PHP Based
    Should support Online Payment
    Upbeat Servers (Fast load times)
    Genuine Support Team

What more specifics can I give?

Quote Originally Posted by mzpzhosting View Post
    If i were newbie, I will pick host that best fit for my need, It has decent space to start with and off course, I must be affordable for me
    I know. Nothing is really unlimited. Just a marketing ploy. :|

Quote Originally Posted by LankapartnerHost View Post
    What kind of website you have to host? any specific location u have in mind ? & budget ? Company depends on your requirements ...
    2-3 Fitness Websites (to begin with)
    Not Location Specific (albeit, out of curiosity, how does it matter?)
    Last edited by BFR1; 09-26-2013 at 05:44 AM. Reason: grammar

You should take care of some important things while choosing a web hosting company. Web hosting is an essential thing to launch a website. First you should check and compare all good companies and their services, plans and tech support etc.

Quote Originally Posted by brijeshtejani View Post
    The specifics:
    PHP Based
    Genuine Support Team

What more specifics can I give?
    How about what kind of services do you need with your shared hosting account. Sorry, but just stating that you have 2-3 websites, need for php and no more than $8/mo is not enough.

How about needed capacity, bandwidth, databases, which control panel do you prefer, do you need Softaculous, 24/7 support etc.

You can also find good offers from advertising section.

The specifics:
    So you need a multi domain hosting plan, so you can have a few different websites on it - your budget is OK for that.
    That's oK for start
    PHP Based
    Most hosts are these days. Are you interested in site/script installs? Like a turnkey Wordpress install? Most hosts offer that as well and then you can simply get appropriate themes for your fitness websites and just add content.
    Look for a provider with 99.9% uptime guarantee minimum. If you see 100% it's not realistic and probably a lie.
    For you to pay online for the host or you are thinking your customers to pay you money for stuff? if 1st - most decent hosts you want to deal with accept credit cards / paypal. If the 2nd - than this is up to you to configure in your websites.
    Just look for a host with good reputation, that does not oversell it's servers.
    This is where location is important and people ask for location preferences. It would be of your benefit to have in mind the location of the majority of your site visitors. The closer they are physically to your server, the faster loading times they will get. This still matter even though connectivity and network technologies today are very advanced.
    Genuine Support Team
    Look for 24/7 live support and ticket support. Make sure your provider has a 24/7 telephone support. This way you know they have people on duty round the clock.

I know. Nothing is really unlimited. Just a marketing ploy. :|
    I tend to disagree. Unlimited is indeed a marketing trick but if the provider is a good and honest one all the "limits" are listed in the TOSs. For example a limit that says that you can have as many files and as much traffic as you want, as soon as it is website related traffic ( e.g. you cannot upload a large media file (like a movie or music albums) and give the link to your friends to download.)

Hi,
    Type: Shared
    Renewal Cost: Important
    Tech Support: Very Important
    Apart from this, is location important ? Your website should be close to your visitors, improving the speeds and thus SERPs.

Do you need phone support, live chat or just email/ticket ?
    LeapSwitch Networks Pvt. Ltd. - Managed VPS / Dedicated Servers India
    ASN 132335 - India - USA - Spain - Portugal - Ukraine - Germany
    █ Shared, Reseller, VPS, Dedicated Servers, Colocation
    Pay via - PayPal, Payza, Skrill, Credit/Debit Cards (USD / INR)

Quote Originally Posted by jonebox View Post
    How about what kind of services do you need with your shared hosting account. Sorry, but just stating that you have 2-3 websites, need for php and no more than $8/mo is not enough.

How about needed capacity, bandwidth, databases, which control panel do you prefer, do you need Softaculous, 24/7 support etc.

You can also find good offers from advertising section.
    Capacity: Unlimited
    Databases: Unlimited
    Latest cPanel V11 or more
    Softaculous: Not really as I tend to use simplescript
    24/7 support: Yes A Must

So, whom should I go with? Any good experiences?

Quote Originally Posted by kambone View Post
    So you need a multi domain hosting plan, so you can have a few different websites on it - your budget is OK for that.
    Yes

Are you interested in site/script installs? Like a turnkey Wordpress install?
    No. All my sites will be custom built.

Look for a provider with 99.9% uptime guarantee minimum. If you see 100% it's not realistic and probably a lie.
    So whom do you recommend?

For you to pay online for the host or you are thinking your customers to pay you money for stuff? if 1st - most decent hosts you want to deal with accept credit cards / paypal. If the 2nd - than this is up to you to configure in your websites.
    Yes, I am going to charge for stuff.. I think most hosting plans are E-commerce ready. Any good free-to-use e-commerce portals? Or will a paid one be a wise choice? I've heard of many - OScommerce, Zen Cart, etc.

Just look for a host with good reputation, that does not oversell it's servers.
    How do I get to know that??

This is where location is important and people ask for location preferences. It would be of your benefit to have in mind the location of the majority of your site visitors. The closer they are physically to your server, the faster loading times they will get. This still matter even though connectivity and network technologies today are very advanced.
    Okay, will keep that in mind.

I tend to disagree. Unlimited is indeed a marketing trick but if the provider is a good and honest one all the "limits" are listed in the TOSs. For example a limit that says that you can have as many files and as much traffic as you want, as soon as it is website related traffic ( e.g. you cannot upload a large media file (like a movie or music albums) and give the link to your friends to download.)
    Yes, I know. But still, they NEVER tell that upfront.

Quote Originally Posted by ishan View Post
    Apart from this, is location important ? Your website should be close to your visitors, improving the speeds and thus SERPs.

Do you need phone support, live chat or just email/ticket ?
    My websites won't be for a specific country.. But is there any concrete data (stats) regarding that? I'd like to have a look.

Yes, live chat and email/ticket. No phone. Am in India.

So, whom do you suggest?

Are you looking for USA based hosting? UK Hosting?
    All the best.

My websites won't be for a specific country.. But is there any concrete data (stats) regarding that? I'd like to have a look.

Yes, live chat and email/ticket. No phone. Am in India.

So, whom do you suggest?
    Yes, see - http://moz.com/community/q/page-speed-serps
    http://www.brafton.com/news/slow-sit...round-in-serps
    LeapSwitch Networks Pvt. Ltd. - Managed VPS / Dedicated Servers India
    ASN 132335 - India - USA - Spain - Portugal - Ukraine - Germany
    █ Shared, Reseller, VPS, Dedicated Servers, Colocation
    Pay via - PayPal, Payza, Skrill, Credit/Debit Cards (USD / INR)

It all really boils down to your requirements. You have a decent budget and your requirements are fairly standard. Shortlist around 4-5 prospective providers that you like and do further research on them. Sometimes you just need to take a plunge and hope that it all works well. Things can go wrong even with the best of the breed.
    Kushal || Host4Geeks LLC || Own Network - Hardware - IP Ranges - cPanel & WHMCS Authorized Partners.
    Managed VPS - cPanel - Softaculous - Monitoring - DDoS Protection - Fully Managed - East Coast - West Coast - London
    Reseller Hosting - WHMCS || CloudLinux || SSL || SSD || Daily Backups || LiteSpeed || US / UK || DDoS Protection
    Announcing our Indian Expansion - #LevelUP Your Web Hosting Experience - Subscribe now for Early Access & Discounts!

i would suggest poking trough the forums looking at some signatures then just look at them and ask them the questions you want (on there site or in the web hosting offers section on WHT) and see what they have to offer and what they say to you in response to your questions.

No questions is the the only lame questions is the one you don't ask

p.s.s mddhosting is a fav around here
    Fully Managed | cPanel Shared Hosting | Windows Shared (coming soon) | R1Soft Daily Backups | FFmpeg packages
    Base 10 Hosting LLC
    follow us on twitter - @Base10Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by Host4Geeks-Kushal View Post
    It all really boils down to your requirements. You have a decent budget and your requirements are fairly standard. Shortlist around 4-5 prospective providers that you like and do further research on them. Sometimes you just need to take a plunge and hope that it all works well. Things can go wrong even with the best of the breed.
    Thanks, I'll do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray-Base10 View Post
    i would suggest poking trough the forums looking at some signatures then just look at them and ask them the questions you want (on there site or in the web hosting offers section on WHT) and see what they have to offer and what they say to you in response to your questions.

No questions is the the only lame questions is the one you don't ask

p.s.s mddhosting is a fav around here
    Yes, that's a nice idea. Will have a look at MDD.

It will mostly depend on your budget. If you have a smaller budget I would suggest Interserver, you can get a vps for 6.00$ a month, which is an unbeatable price with great uptime. If you have a bigger budget I would suggest Linode, they are one of the most popular and trusted hosting companies out there.
    Jeff F
    BuyCPanel.com - Instant CPanel and VPS License Activations!
    Lowest-Priced External CPanel Licenses
    http://www.BuyCPanel.com

Take a look at the offers section here on Web Hosting Talk.

I suggest you try out a good host that you like here in the Hosting Offers section. Won't find out until you try Good luck
    Rockstarhost - Your choice for speed & simplicity
    █ Shared, Reseller, VPS & Dedicated Servers
    Instant setup | Paypal, Payaza, Bitcoin, OKPay
    █ Contact us at[[email protected]]