Thumbs down Hivelocity nullroute applies directly to my IP address without giving time to act

Hello

So far all was well with Hivelocity, a few days ago even bought another dedicated server with them to add it as vps node.

But this day received a notification of abuse from one of the accounts you stay at one of the hired servers.

His act was applied null-route immediately, I replied to his notice right away and took more than 1 hour waiting for reply.

I have approx 250 accounts on the affected server hosting. Imagine how happy I am with one hour of downtime.

Perfectly able to send the notification, and I could suspend the account. Instead of leaving me without service.

Finally could act fast, one hour is too much.

PD: Sorry for the English

By chat me answers as follows

Vick: There is a 4 hour SLA , you will be soon updated on the ticket by the admins.

I find it worse Hivelocity proceed

Quote Originally Posted by eyrhost View Post
    By chat me answers as follows

Vick: There is a 4 hour SLA , you will be soon updated on the ticket by the admins.

I find it worse Hivelocity proceed
    Abuse issues cannot be handled via live chat and there are specific instructions in each abuse case on how to properly respond. Without being specific about your server's issue, in this particular case the typical 24 hour window we give customers to comply was not an option. We take no pleasure in taking servers offline. We are after all in the business of putting servers online. Unfortunately, certain types of abuse require immediate action on our part and this was one of those cases. Just as you are I am sure, I am very hopeful we don't have to deal with this type of thing again and we can both continue to work through our days without issue or interruption.

steve at hivelocity.net if you ever need me.
    Steve Eschweiler - Hivelocity.net - Since 2002
    The Bare Metal Cloud Co.
    Instantly Deploy Dedicated Servers in 30 Data Centers on 4 Continents
    24/7/365 World Class Phone, Chat and Ticket Technical Support

Quote Originally Posted by HivelocityGM View Post
    Abuse issues cannot be handled via live chat and there are specific instructions in each abuse case on how to properly respond. Without being specific about your server's issue, in this particular case the typical 24 hour window we give customers to comply was not an option. We take no pleasure in taking servers offline. We are after all in the business of putting servers online. Unfortunately, certain types of abuse require immediate action on our part and this was one of those cases. Just as you are I am sure, I am very hopeful we don't have to deal with this type of thing again and we can both continue to work through our days without issue or interruption.

steve at hivelocity.net if you ever need me.
    On the Chat somehow try to hurry his act.

The ticket with server access data quickly opened it.

Ticket ID # 262617

imagine how are my customers, more than 1 hour of downtime

Was the offending account on a dedicated IP address or shard IP address? Not knowing the cause of the abuse, hivelocity had specific reasons for immediate nullroute.

Giving a client 24 hour notice is common for issues such as spam, etc. If the account had a dedicated ip address, it is possible to nullroute that ip only; however, in this case, it sounds like the account was on a shared IP.

Hopefully, you were able to successfully resolve the issue.

Cheers!
    Hosted Desktops include Manages Support, Disaster Recovery and More!
    Hosted Desktops - Managed Services - Infrastructure as a Service
    UCclouds.com "Everything UC is in the Cloud"

Hivelocity isn't very web host friendly due to there very strict terms regarding abuse.

A past company I started took a HUGE hit because of this and I lost all my VPS customers.

The Hivelocity Nightmare - Service TERMINATED for SPAM
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1150705

They simply don't have the proper staff to handle abuse, so they just are super strict on the situations. You need to find a host and talk to them about these issues up front so you know how hard they are on this.

Hivelocity is great if you aren't running a web hosting business where you are more of a risk.
    Last edited by GeekDub; 09-25-2013 at 04:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by eyrhost View Post
    On the Chat somehow try to hurry his act.

The ticket with server access data quickly opened it.

Ticket ID # 262617

imagine how are my customers, more than 1 hour of downtime
    Your ticket has been responded to with instruction from our Abuse Dept.
    The Bare Metal Cloud Co.

Finally my server is online.

Apparently thanks to his intervention, because after less than 10 minutes you intervened on the ticket my server was online.

But after that I doubt that I'll feel safe hosting my clients on their servers.

Shall see the possibility of recovering the money the server we just bought a few days ago

regards

It sounds to me like the nature of the abuse was such that the account had to be taken off line immediately. Every host has policies like that. Sometimes you can wait for it to be taken down, sometimes you have to or are told you have to act right away.
    CloudNexus Technology Services
    Managed Services

What was the nature of the abuse? They explained ?
    Also, if you will be hosting a lot of customers (vps-es) on that server - perhaps it's best to have "few" more IP addresses, so if one is null-routed - it won't affect the other clients.

Can't really complain too much about Hivelocity, my time with them was mostly trouble free.

However I had this issue twice, first time they had made a mistake, null routed my IP, that got resolved fairly promptly.

Second time around a customers website got exploited, they used this to send out some email, we had rules in place to limit it however they still null routed and said that if it happens again my service would be terminated.

Given in the hosting world this is going to happen from time to time and should be expected we had to move on and go elsewhere as to not impact on our customers.

Several years ago I had a few shared servers with HiVelocity and had the same issues with them....immediate null routes. Datacenters like Softlayer and others I use don't do that, at least with my experience which spans over 5 years.
    U.S.A. High Resource allocation global cloud hosting serving 310,000 clients since 2008 | Offering both cPanel & DirectAdmin
    WebsitePlex.com | Instant Activation | Alpha, Master, Reseller & Cloud Hosting
    Recurring Affiliate Program Pays 20% of total revenue for life | 30 Day Trial

Just yesterday I facing nullrouted from hivelocity, one of the VPS owner suspicious as spam action and ends with nullrouted my IP. But, one of my account manager (Rob Wright) helps me out from disaster, He help me to speak with abuse manager and immediately after they open my IP, I suspended the the account.

I think you should talk with your account manager and I sure they will help you out from being nullrouted.

Quote Originally Posted by Prosolusindo View Post
    Just yesterday I facing nullrouted from hivelocity, one of the VPS owner suspicious as spam action and ends with nullrouted my IP. But, one of my account manager (Rob Wright) helps me out from disaster, He help me to speak with abuse manager and immediately after they open my IP, I suspended the the account.

I think you should talk with your account manager and I sure they will help you out from being nullrouted.
    I suggest you read up on their policies, I can assure you it's a rather strict policy and generally two strikes and you're out So I'd have some offsite backups at the very least in case that does happen.

In the vast majority of abuse cases we provide our customers with at least 24 hours time to correct the issue. We understand in our business and in our customer's businesses, things happen and not everything is going to be perfect. However, when a customer has caused our IPs to be blacklisted or whose servers are actively participating in DDOS attacks we will sometimes have to null route the IP in question right away. We, of course, un-null the IP once the corrective action is taken. These swifter actions are taken on our end when the abuse is found to be malicious or when the server's abuse is negatively impacting other customers.

The majority of our customers have self-managed servers (we offer managed services for $29) which means, as the Systems Administrators, it is up to them to ensure the server is secure, software is up-to-date and customers are not spamming. We hand the server over day 1 secure and hardened, after that is up to them. Certainly a shared host can still monitor traffic and set rules to limit outbound email. Certainly a Sys Admin should make sure they are not using outdated software that is known exploitable making their servers easy targets for hacking oftem times resulting in spam, phishing, ddos etc....

As I have said before, we take no pleasure in taking any customers offline. Our entire business model is predicated on putting and keeping servers online. However, when a customer's actions or more often inaction, adversely affects other customers we have to react...sometimes swiftly. Just like our business model is to keep servers online, is it not part of the Sys Admins business model to provide a server that is secure, up to date and not in a position to be null-routed by their data center?

I will be meeting today with our Abuse Team to revisit our policies and ensure we give our customers sufficient time to resolve issues every time that option is available to us. Everyone at Hivelocity understands that our customer's uptime and success has a direct correlation to our success.

Feel free to contact me directly at the address in my signature should you have any questions.
    Last edited by hivelocitygm; 09-30-2013 at 10:13 AM.
    The Bare Metal Cloud Co.

While ago we had same problem with Hivelocity. There was an abuse case and they shutdown the server abused + another server that had nothing to do with the abuse. They did not give us any time to act and simply pulled the box offline. Later when we asked for data they wanted $$ to ship the HDD!

It was a horrible experience altogether. We ended up doing a charge back.