Hostgator chewing up their clients, not competition...

Hi,

I have been with Hostgator shared hosting for many years and everything was fine up until a few weeks back when I was migrated to an "upgraded server".

After some googling, I learnt about the EIG takeover and realised why I was having to wait up to 30 minutes to get support for server 500 errors.

Apparently, I have been hitting the 25 concurrent process mysql limit.

When telling them that this problem was only since the server migration, they just tell me: "We're still fine tuning the new servers".

So due to their total incompetence and the fact that I should probably move off shared hosting anyway(main site is growing), I started looking at the VPS option.

I tried a couple:

- budgetVM (4GB plan): best prices around, good performance when VPS was up. I seldom got to more than a day's uptime because they reboot so often.
    - unlimitedwebhosting: great performance but out of my budget for the plan I needed. Also had to purchase additional IP to do own DNS.
    - digitalocean (2GB plan): amazing control panel, free dns hosting. Amazing performance with a few people on the site. 10+ users and it comes to a stand still.

My main website, letslogic.com (currently hosted with digitalocean on the 2GB plan), is quite heavy on sql. DB is only about 350MB but the queries are complex. The longest query to show rankings used to take 2s on Hostgator before I was moved, even with 50 people online simultaneously. Now it takes up to 5s and when one user is getting the rankings page the VPS stands still for all other users.

My monthly budget is $30 (no mgmt required)

Please can you suggest a host that will make my site fly again?

BigScoots.com .. Just give them a chat and they will take care of you as if you were a baby..

HostGator is just spiraling downward, I think they are just filtering out anyone who actually uses some resources on the servers.. and keeping the clients just hosting a few pages with little to no traffic..
    GeekDub Hosting, Reseller, VPS and more! ●

Couple questions regarding your site...

Have you tried to optimize the MySQL queries (make use of left and inner joins)? I've got a DB intensive site (115 megs in size) that was getting crippled because of the stats until I re-wrote the code to optimize it. It's now 100x faster because of the joins.

Have you also considered caching your SQL, especially if they get more reads than writes?

I do agree that the path that EIG/Hostgator is going down is a rather questionable one, especially with the growing number of complaints seen here and on a litany of other sites I'm on.
    Douglas Hazard - Certifiable Sports Junkie and Sports Community Enthusiast

Host of Two Cents Radio - Follow @TwoCentsRadio on Twitter (@BearlyDoug on Twitter)

Have you tried running MySQL Tuner on your server? It might help in optimizing your MySQL settings.

https://raw.github.com/major/MySQLTu.../mysqltuner.pl
    David

Brent ran a very tight ship when he owned it but after EIG bought them it has been hell from what I have been reading.

I think you should optimize your MYSQL settings. Get an experienced system admin to look into it for you and see what he/she can do.

There are also many programs out there that can do this automatically.

- Daniel
    Managed & Unmanaged SSD VPS's by tmzVPS.com | FAST PURE SSD & HDD Plans!
    █ Locations in USA & United Kingdom - Legal Adult Content Allowed! 24/7 Certified Support.
    cPanel/WHM Included | Premium Softaculous | Data Migration Included with Managed Support.
    █ INSTANT SETUP | Paypal, Skrill, 2checkout, BitCoin & all Major Credit Cards Accepted! Skype: tmzvps.chat

Quote Originally Posted by Spluut View Post
    BigScoots.com .. Just give them a chat and they will take care of you as if you were a baby..

HostGator is just spiraling downward, I think they are just filtering out anyone who actually uses some resources on the servers.. and keeping the clients just hosting a few pages with little to no traffic..
    Can never have enough babies!
    www.BigScoots.com - Experience the Difference, Ride With Us
    Specializing in Premium Shared, Reseller, VPS, Hybrid and Dedicated Hosting
    Fully Managed | 100% Positive Approval Rating! | Server Migrations
    REAL 24/7/365 US Based ~5 Minute Response Times | 100% Network Uptime

Thanks for the replies

Yes I have optimized as best as I can. Like I said this used to run very quickly on Hostgator before the server migration.

I had a look at bigscoots.com but their largest plan is only 1GB ram @ $25/month.

After reading some other posts on WHT I came across afterburst.com - signed up for the $25 plan. If their own website speed is anything to go by I'll be very happy. Also the support so far from Jack has been awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by letslogic View Post
    Thanks for the replies

Yes I have optimized as best as I can. Like I said this used to run very quickly on Hostgator before the server migration.

I had a look at bigscoots.com but their largest plan is only 1GB ram @ $25/month.

After reading some other posts on WHT I came across afterburst.com - signed up for the $25 plan. If their own website speed is anything to go by I'll be very happy. Also the support so far from Jack has been awesome.
    Hey there Letslogic, just to clarify, our site shows only 1GB unmanaged plans, if you're looking for something larger at any point in the future -- just contact us directly and we can work something out I'm sure

Best of luck in the mean time!
    www.BigScoots.com - Experience the Difference, Ride With Us
    Specializing in Premium Shared, Reseller, VPS, Hybrid and Dedicated Hosting
    Fully Managed | 100% Positive Approval Rating! | Server Migrations
    REAL 24/7/365 US Based ~5 Minute Response Times | 100% Network Uptime

Quote Originally Posted by letslogic View Post
    My monthly budget is $30 (no mgmt required)
    For a linux vps, self managed, no control panel?
    PremiumReseller.com Hyper-V SSD VPS USA London Singapore
    Reseller Hosting Cpanel PURE SSD CloudLinux Softaculous
    Windows Reseller Asp.NET 4.5 MSSQL 2012 SmarterMail Enterprise

Unlimited plans aren't good for a heavy site. The company will surely limit you in one way or another. Find a good VPS, you have many choices here in the VPS offer section.