Hybrid View

Do you give your customers their own domain panel?

.. so they can modify their domain stuff themselves? Any consensus on whether it's better to do this, or not to do this?

Sure it's better. It lowers your over-all work load. They should have this either way, it's their domain they should have full control.

- Daniel

Yeah, more or less. We have the domain management options integrated into our client panel on WHMCS if a customer registers a domain with us. Just makes it easier than having to manage a domain name separately.
    Last edited by NyteRunner; 09-25-2013 at 08:26 AM.

Why wouldn't you want your customers to be able to manage their own domain names?

I can't think of a single reason...

??
    We are eNom PLATINUM PLUS resellers!
    Sign up today for an eNom.com reseller account with lowest possible pricing.
    * We provide support and service to over 4275 happy eNom domain name and SSL certificate resellers!

Quote Originally Posted by mrzippy View Post
    I can't think of a single reason...
    I can think of one, "What is this nameserver thingy? Oh well, I'll change it to domain.com because that's my domain and its a name and I want to serve files so must be this nameserver thingy". Then a few hours later when their DNS caches expires, a call from the customer "My site is not working, my mail isn't working, its your fault and I'm going to cancel!?!" Only other item I could think of is having valid whois info.

I think though if your systems allows them to control the domain, then they should be able to do so.
    -Steven | Cooini, LLC
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" -Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by steven99 View Post
    I can think of one, "What is this nameserver thingy? Oh well, I'll change it to domain.com because that's my domain and its a name and I want to serve files so must be this nameserver thingy". Then a few hours later when their DNS caches expires, a call from the customer "My site is not working, my mail isn't working, its your fault and I'm going to cancel!?!" Only other item I could think of is having valid whois info.

I think though if your systems allows them to control the domain, then they should be able to do so.
    Yes, but at the end of the day, the client is the legal owner of the domain and has to have access to it. The logic of disabling this option out of safety precautions means that you don't have to give any access to the customer because they can mess something up.
    Plus, this creates much more work for the sales/support team, because they will deal with requests for change of nameservers or administrative details all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Rado_Ch View Post
    Yes, but at the end of the day, the client is the legal owner of the domain and has to have access to it. The logic of disabling this option out of safety precautions means that you don't have to give any access to the customer because they can mess something up.
    Plus, this creates much more work for the sales/support team, because they will deal with requests for change of nameservers or administrative details all the time
    Oh yes, as I said I think if a host/domain provider system's offer such control it should be given.
    -Steven | Cooini, LLC
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" -Aristotle

You don't have to, however if they ask you must, as most reseller policies state when you sign up to a registrar. We give them access as it gives them more features and because it's their domain.

It is better to provide customers with their own domain panel. Its much easier for the customers and the provider alike.

It is better to provide the control to manage DNS, whois information etc. If you cannot provide domain control panel, you can integrate it in billing system i.e. WHMCS, HostBill etc. Your clients should be able to manage everything from his/her billing area. This will reduce your work. If you don't provide the access, you will have to address all their queries.

In addition to WHMCS, I think most cPanel installations allow for editing DNS records and MX entries (with a friendly reminder and warning to make sure the client knows what they are doing).
    www.EasiestWebHosting.com - Keep it Simple.
    ● Web Hosting Should Be Easy! No technical jargon, no problems, no frustration.
    ● Low-cost high-quality shared hosting packages, optimized for small projects and WordPress blogs.

Some registrars allow creating user accounts for their resellers. So you can provide user control panel by customizing under your registrar's systems.
    domainCart - PHP / AJAX Domain and Hosting Order Script | WHMCS Alternative
    Supports 700+ domain extensions, 27+ payment gateways, multi-currency with auto exchange..
    www.domaincart.net | Demo (all in one - without template)

It is definitely best to allow the customer the ability to change their own domain information. Of course, some will not want to or not understand it and ask you to do it for them, but that is fine. As long as they have the option to do so themselves, that is the important thing.
    [B]Scott M

Yap its good to give controls to your clients, its give extra time for your support team to handle other things, instead of change NS request
    VMakerHOST » Providing Amazing Services since 2010
    Three Datacenter Locations: Chicago, Netherlands & Singapore
    █ Reseller Hosting with WHMCS | End User Support | Premium Network | 24x7-365 Support
    ShoutCAST, Web Hosting, Virtual Servers & Dedicated Servers. Managed options available

I can't imagine a domain provider who does not offer this!

Is better that the client have their access to their own Domain Panel.