Upgrade to a 24 core processor or not?

Hi there, I have a main server that is hosting a software platform that should have a 24 core processor and a large SSD drive to get its full optimal use.

Our current server has a 16 core processor and a SATA HD.

Current Operations: We are currently transferring about 15GB of data a day and plan to scale upto 90GB a day within 6 months. If I upgrade our server to a 24 core processor how much improvement will I notice? Is is a material improvement? How much more data a day will it allow our operations to send? Should I upgrade the HD as well, if so why?

Current Server
    Port speed 1GB Dedicated
    32 GB DDR3
    10,000GB Premium Transfer
    500GB HD
    16 Core server

Optimal Specs Required
    24 core
    24GB of RAM
    and a Large SSD drive

All feedback is greatly appreciated

The question comes down to, what is your current bottleneck? If it's CPU, then it will depend on the architecture of the old vs new CPU as cores and clock speed is completely irrelevant if the CPUs use different architectures.
    ReliableSite.Net LLC - Offering Enterprise Grade Dedicated Servers Since 2006 [New York City metro / Miami, FL]
    Customers are our #1 priority - Read Our Reviews
    Looking to switch providers? We have amazing deals and a 10 minute setup time! Click here to view incredible deals.

3. If the application should have a 24 core processor, then yes you should certainly upgrade. An SSD will be a step up from a SATA HDD for sure, I don't see any problem with the upgrade as long as your budget allows for it.

If you're looking to transfer 90Gb a day yes you're going to need to upgrade your hard drives, either into an SSD or even better a raid array with at least 10k SAS drives. 90Gb's a day is a very heavy load to put on a single hard drive.

I would suggest checking the stats of your server, if your CPU is spiking or maxing out, I would check to make sure it's not your i/o wait.

Thank you for the comments guys. I am looking into all the issues that were outlined.

It also depends on what those processors are. If we are talking an old 16 core server vs a new E5-2620 then yes there is going to be a huge difference.
    SolaDrive - Enterprise Managed Solutions
    Specializing in Managed SSD VPS & Dedicated Servers in US & UK
    Rated #1 Provider at Top 20 VPS Providers For Performance
    Visit us at SolaDrive.com

Quote Originally Posted by SolaDrive - John View Post
    It also depends on what those processors are. If we are talking an old 16 core server vs a new E5-2620 then yes there is going to be a huge difference.
    A new E5-2620 has only 6 cores, dual it has 12 cores (it can handle 24 threads using Hyperthreading) - if OP really needs 24 physical cores he can look into a dual (or even quad for 64! real cores) OPTERON 16-CORE 6376 2.3GHZ setup, dual INTEL Xeon E5-2695 V2 2400MHz 30M Cache 12Core or Quad INTEL Xeon E5-4610 2,4GHz 15MB Cache 6-Core
    Swiftway.net Your Business deserves our Quality - Experts on Hand since 2005. Europe & US locations, we operate our own network AS35017
    Unbeatable dedicated bandwidth deals for Dedicated servers ! Support response time <15 minutes 24/7

Quote Originally Posted by swiftnoc View Post
    A new E5-2620 has only 6 cores, dual it has 12 cores (it can handle 24 threads using Hyperthreading) - if OP really needs 24 physical cores he can look into a dual (or even quad for 64! real cores) OPTERON 16-CORE 6376 2.3GHZ setup, dual INTEL Xeon E5-2695 V2 2400MHz 30M Cache 12Core or Quad INTEL Xeon E5-4610 2,4GHz 15MB Cache 6-Core
    You're right, I sometimes get carried away and just assume people know what I am thinking. Thanks for the clarification to everyone else though.
    SolaDrive - Enterprise Managed Solutions
    Specializing in Managed SSD VPS & Dedicated Servers in US & UK
    Rated #1 Provider at Top 20 VPS Providers For Performance
    Visit us at SolaDrive.com

AMD Opteron 627216 x 2.1 ghz32GB - 64GB500GB HDD10 TB100 Mbps / 1 Gbps

thats the current server

Quote Originally Posted by doogster View Post
    Hi there, I have a main server that is hosting a software platform that should have a 24 core processor and a large SSD drive to get its full optimal use.
    There's much more to CPU performance than just core count, as it can vary greatly depending on what architecture, generation, and clockspeed. With AMD's current architecture, a core isn't an actual full core, as two cores will share some silicon. An Intel core and even a logical thread will outperform an AMD core; just a current generation Xeon E3 v3 quad-core CPU is going to be faster than your AMD Opteron 6272. A dual Xeon E5 v2 configuration with 12 cores would completely trounce your current setup.

Hardware resource requirements vary greatly from one application to another, so whether you would benefit from an upgrade to more/faster cores would totally depend on whether your application has been optimized, and whether it is CPU bound or being limited by other components like disk or RAM. Optimization can make a huge difference, as caching interpreted code can save a lot of computation as can caching database queries. 32GB of RAM is a decent amount, but unless you're already caching as many things as you can and still have RAM leftover, you may want to consider an upgrade to 64GB of RAM.

As others have noted though, the single SATA hard drive may likely be your bottleneck. Firstly, you should get at least a 2nd hard drive to run RAID1. That way, even if one drive fails, your server can keep on running and if it has hot swap bays, you can even replace a failed drive without ever taking the server offline. RAID1 will also almost double your read I/O and performance. Given the rest of your specs though, you may even want to go for a 4 or more drive configuration to run RAID10. Or, if you don't need much storage, an SSD may also be a good option.
    ASTUTE HOSTING: Advanced, customized, and scalable solutions with AS54527 Premium Canadian Optimized Network (Level3, PEER1, Shaw, Tinet)
    MicroServers.io: Enterprise Dedicated Hardware with IPMI at VPS-like Prices using AS63213 Affordable Bandwidth (Cogent, HE, Tinet)
    Dedicated Hosting, Colo, Bandwidth, and Fiber out of Vancouver, Seattle, LA, Toronto, NYC, and Miami

Great post, it is apparent my operations can benefit from a server upgrade.

I am looking to purchase a server to host our main software application in the next few months.

Can you guys provide some good recommendations and prices ranges please.