Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Question ThomasHost Reviews?

I was wondering if anyone has had any past experiences with ThomasHost? I was looking at there offer here on WHT and they're offering 2GB RAM KVM VPS (with 50GB disk space) for $10/mo. You can get it in Ireland or Canada. I'm wondering if this offer is too good to be true considering that for the price of a VPS with that sort of specs is $20+/mo. Should I give them a try or look somewhere else?
    Little Apps
    Open Source Software

Between Earth & sky
    it will be great if you ask some technical questions
    VMakerHOST.Com » Budget Provider since 2010
    Shared Hosting » Reseller Hosting » Streaming » Managed VPS » Dedicated Servers
    CloudLinux / R1soft Backup / Master Reseller / CentovaCast / USA,Singapore,EU,UK

They either resell or are owned by a serverbyte brand.

The Thomas website makes no reference to them, though, so I'm thinking just reselling?

BuyVM - OpenVZ & KVM Based VPS Servers - Chat with us
    - All popular VPN methods supported
    - Affordable offloaded MySQL & DDoS protection
    - 5GB backup space, unmetered private LAN bandwidth & native IPv6 included. All with a strong serving of pony

Quote Originally Posted by CBH-Nick View Post
    I was wondering if anyone has had any past experiences with ThomasHost?
    Dear CBH-Nick,

I am a ThomasHost VPS subscriber, currently using the "Windows VPS 2" package. As I live in Ontario Canada, I was advised to select the Quebec Canada server location.

I use my VPS as a workstation for performing file backups/downloads and various document work. I mention this because it means I access my VPS on a regular basis & am very sensitive to its quality.

Before ThomasHost, I was with another VPS provider (can provide details via PM). Their support-service was excellent (I was a newb barraging them with questions, they responded to all). Unfortunately, I was getting poor download/upload speeds on a regular basis. I cannot say what caused this (location, over-selling, etc.).

So I shopped around & discovered ThomasHost's offerings. I did not expect much, given my poor past experience.

Thankfully, it has turned out to be a great decision. Even though I ordered the VPS in the middle of the night (I'm a night owl), installation was done for me almost instantly. Access has been a breeze via either VNC or Remote Desktop. The speeds are a significant & consistent improvement over my previous host. The hardware specs are quite generous for the price, and this has allowed me to run a diversity of applications without any lag/choking.

Of course, it would not be fair if I didn't include some concerns. IMO, these are only minor caveats which probably won't affect you.

I use Bitcasa as my cloud backup solution. I notice that during the day (eastern time zone), my upload speeds tend to be more "conservative"...whereas during evenings/nights the speed is blazing fast. I cannot assign could be the fault of BitCasa itself (who do have speed issues), or the shared nature of ThomasHost VPS. So far, I have not been motivated enough to investigate with speed tests. But if you like, I could perform some tests & let you know.

Since I use my VPS as a workstation, I tend to notice when there is an involuntary reboot. On two occasions, I logged back into my VPS "workstation" and noticed it had been restarted (ie. my Office applications were no longer open & Windows server gave me an unplanned restart pop-up). I do not feel that these were long "down times" me, they felt like instantaneous & negligible events.

All in all, it's been a great experience. It's definitely worth a try if you're shopping around. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Sorting Office
    Quote Originally Posted by SandyM View Post
    I am a ThomasHost VPS subscriber
    How long have you been with them?
    There's no such thing as an unmanaged server - It's actually self-managed. Worth remembering next time you're looking for someone to complain to.
    DATA VALUATION SERVICE: Your data's value is linked directly to your backup strategy. If YOU don't have your own backups then YOU value your data at ZERO. So why should anyone else care when you lose it?

Quote Originally Posted by F-DNS View Post
    How long have you been with them?
    A month so far. I think that's also how long the Quebec Canada server has been offered, but I could be wrong. Hoping they don't "oversell" or do anything that reduces its current quality.