Need help : Looking for shared hosting

Hello every one, I have been looking for a shared hosting company and all I have found on google was top reviews websites that seems like they are all damn affiliates. So I can't really trust these big companies and I also read some posts on this forums and these websites seems to just pack their shared servers and you end up with a slow website or unreliable?

So I tough about a forum and I stumbled upon this one

I kinda feel like a leecher right now but I don't really have any experience in hosting yet :p I am actually new to having a website but I think forums is the best way to learn no? ^^

So I would like your help it would be really appreciated. I am looking for a affordable shared hosting company. I don't want to pay 1$ per month I am not dumb that kind of hosting wont be fast and I want a fast and reliable host.

My website will be about realestates. Something similar to zillow and Trulia it will update every 10 minutes with the updated houses,lands etc for sale in the united states. Right now I have no clue what kind of hosting ill need for that but I was thinking about starting small not spending too much on hosting then grow while my website grow if it ever grow hehe.

What I am looking for :

-A host located in the U.S that would have a really good speed for all the U.S since my target visitors is all the states.

-A secure ( as much as possible ) web host that also do backups ( I guess ill need that ? )
    I was told linux was good for that?

-A flexible host that I can update the usage as we go so if next month I grow I can upgrade it to something bigger I guess? That way I can invest more into the marketing etc.

- I was thinking about getting a dedicated ip?

- My website is made in php do I need a certain kind of hosting?

Hoping to get quality replies and not only 1-10 posts members cross fingers

Yannick

You definitely came to the right forum to help you make a well informed decision on a reputable host!

As for your requirements, they are all pretty basic, so just about any host will meet your needs.

Have you taken a look in the offers forum to see if any offers appeal to you?

Yes there is so many haha I was affraid id just get some cheap reseller hosting. What I did for now is check people like you who have allot of posts and check their signature.

Do you know if the kind of website I want to host is really demanding in term of bandwith? I found some host on this forum that offer limited hosting instead of unlimited that seems more reliable but I don't know what I will need to start with hehe.

You gota watch out for those unlimited. Because nothing is unlimited. Real term should be uncapped. Then again if you have uncapped bandwidth and use to much some host providers suspend your hosting account so you have to watch out for that. Having your own dedicated has it's pro's and con's but defiantly out way the shared IP address.

Dedicated IP's should only be used for SSL purposes, as mainly that is the only true need for them in a shared hosting environment. Many of the hosts that would/will respond to this thread will generally have ads available listing there hosting offers and sales in the advertising section. Your best bet would be to start looking there and contact those you are interested in.

Best of luck on your search!

Quote Originally Posted by TheWareHive View Post
    Dedicated IP's should only be used for SSL purposes, as mainly that is the only true need for them in a shared hosting environment. Many of the hosts that would/will respond to this thread will generally have ads available listing there hosting offers and sales in the advertising section. Your best bet would be to start looking there and contact those you are interested in.

Best of luck on your search!
    Not entirely true, most DV SSL certificates now can actually be installed without a dedicated IP.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneZSolutions View Post
    Not entirely true, most DV SSL certificates now can actually be installed without a dedicated IP.
    Ok, so you do not need a Dedicated IP...YAY!

Point still remains...Dedicated IP's in a Shared (i.e. cPanel, DA etc.) environment are "generally" only required for SSL use, besides that, they do not really serve any other purpose.

Just trying to avoid another: "I need a Dedicated IP for SEO!"

Ok, so you do not need a Dedicated IP...YAY!

Point still remains...Dedicated IP's in a Shared (i.e. cPanel, DA etc.) environment are "generally" only required for SSL use, besides that, they do not really serve any other purpose.

Just trying to avoid another: "I need a Dedicated IP for SEO!"
    How about anonymous FTP?

There are purposes for Dedicated IP, sure a majority of it is obscured towards an SSL Certificate, though you should consider what else they are useful for.

Quote Originally Posted by yan2099 View Post
    I kinda feel like a leecher right now but I don't really have any experience in hosting yet :p I am actually new to having a website but I think forums is the best way to learn no? ^^
    Don't feel like a leecher - you're in the right place. Expect conflicting advice here, so you'll have to sift and process what people say!

I don't want to pay 1$ per month I am not dumb that kind of hosting wont be fast and I want a fast and reliable host.
    Sounds like you have realistic expectations, which is a good thing

I was thinking about starting small not spending too much on hosting then grow while my website grow if it ever grow hehe.
    Yes, that's sensible. The kind of site you describe, with ten-minutely updates, could easily (I imagine) use quite a bit of a server's resources, and may outgrow shared hosting sooner rather than later. Still best to start on shared though.

-A secure ( as much as possible ) web host that also do backups ( I guess ill need that ? )
    I was told linux was good for that?
    Linux is no more / less secure than Windows, and no better / worse for backups. Most security issues arise from people installing websites that they self-coded but have vulnerabilities, or that are from public scripts but that they then allow to go out of date.

Backups are a very important thing to look for - they help a host with disaster recovery. But please keep your own backups, off the host's network. At the end of the day, backups are your responsibility, and any the host keeps are really for their benefit.

- My website is made in php do I need a certain kind of hosting?
    Ah - now that does suggest Linux. Windows can run PHP, but unless you also need features that only come with Windows, you're best using Linux for it.

HTH

Hello,

You have no special requirements, these are basics requirements of any commercial website today. These requirements can be satisfied by any web hosting company around.

Best way would be to ask one of your friends or relatives who host a website for at least 1 year and get their experience with the host they use. No host will have 100% satisfactory reviews however there are some really good hosts out there. This forum is one good place to get genuine reviews.

Another option is to go for a hosting company that fits your budget, provides monthly contracts, has good support and are based on cPanel. If you do not like them you can just get a cPanel backup and move to another cPanel host.

Some hosts are good at speed, some are good at support, some are good at communication.. it all depends on what you need.

thanks everyone for your suggestion really helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparrow-Sean View Post
    How about anonymous FTP?

There are purposes for Dedicated IP, sure a majority of it is obscured towards an SSL Certificate, though you should consider what else they are useful for.
    You would allow Anonymous FTP to be used on your Shared Services?

Thank you very much for your insights guys.

I tought a dedicated would protect me from other websites in a shared hosting server in case they do bad thing and our shared ip get banned by google. That is how I comprehended it when I googled about shared hosting.

The person I make my website with suggest me a hosting company but I don't know if I should follow his suggestion or chose the one I feel is the best. The review I found so far are mostly negative. The thing I am afraid is that he blame the hosting company if the website is slow and not his coding =p

You would allow Anonymous FTP to be used on your Shared Services?
    I did not say that. It was another suggestion as you mainly stuck Dedicated IP's to SSL.

Since my target visitors are all over usa should I try to find a server in central usa like in the state of Nebraska?

tbh, internet connectivity within the mainland USA is so good that it makes little difference. Yes, you could go for a central state, but finding a host with good servers that are not overcrowded, with plans that are right for you, and good support - will make a far bigger difference.

There are lots of web hosting providers based in US that offer great shared hosting. You can also find discout coupons if you search online.

The person I make my website with suggest me a hosting company but I don't know if I should follow his suggestion or chose the one I feel is the best. The review I found so far are mostly negative. The thing I am afraid is that he blame the hosting company if the website is slow and not his coding =p
    That is all part of the business. You have to be very lucky by birth to get everything right in first go.

If I was you, I would have gone with the host of my choice. If that was a wrong choice, I would correct my mistake and move forward. Remember, always have latest backups of your work, this will always keep you at ease.

Wish you all the best..!

Quote Originally Posted by Maya459 View Post
    You can look for Webhost,uk,net Shared Hosting plans. As per their email which I have received yesterday, they have launched new Shared and SSD web hosting plans.
    Thanks Maya but I thought we are talking about a US based host

It doesn't sound like your needs are too great. As others have said, just stay away from unlimited hosts.

I would recommend contacting the sales departments of a few hosts, and gage their responses. Sometimes you can glean how reliable they are by their response. Did they respond to all of your questions or was i just a template? How quickly did they respond? Etc.

Thank you so much every one! This is really usefull.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparrow-Sean View Post
    I did not say that. It was another suggestion as you mainly stuck Dedicated IP's to SSL.
    Didn't figure to mention such a security risk since the topic was Shared and not VPS or Dedicated. But thanks for clearing that up for me