Thread: ssd or not

ssd or not

I have the following spec vps
    2 cpu cores
    1gb ram
    30gb OpenVZ SSD RAID-10
    1tb bandwidth

My question is does ssd make that much differance as im looking for a new vps and most ssd 1s are either over budget or not enough hdd space in my budget which is the only reason i want to find new one as current provider only allows full package upgrade and that would be as waste for me as everything but hdd space is fine.

Well, the first question is "what is your budget"?

SSD's can make a lot of difference for sure.

Francisco

SSD drives make a huge improvement and once you start messing around with one then you'll defiantly see the difference compared to a regular drive we use today. You will get much more time when browsing files or moving them around. I highly suggest you get one and if your a gamer get one and install your games on it.

SSD or Not, as long as the provider do not oversell it, then it will make a difference.

Specially 4 U
    Reseller Hosting: Boost Your Websites | Fully Managed KVM VPS: 3.20 - 5.00 Ghz, Pure Dedicated Power
    JoneSolutions.Com is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions, server management and services since 2001
    Debian|Ubuntu|cPanel|DirectAdmin|Enhance|Webuzo|Acronis|Estela|BitNinja|Nginx

If you do not need a large amount of storage SSD VPS's are starting to get cost effective as well, but if your storage requirements are high SAS drives should be good as long as the provider is not overselling to a point where it compromises with performance.
    Kushal || Host4Geeks || Operating Fully Owned Infrastructure out of 4 Global Datacenters US / UK / India
    Reseller Hosting - Pure SSD | Nginx + LSAPI | Let's Encrypt | WHMCS or Blesta | DDoS Protection| 24x7 Support
    Fully Managed SSD VPS - cPanel /WHM | Softaculous | Let's Encrypt | DDoS Protection | Proactive Monitoring | Server Hardening
    Datacenters - Los Angeles, CA | Lenoir, NC | London, UK |Pune, India

SSD definitely improves the performance and ofcourse very reliable. But I think it depends more on what you run on them. If you have a database extensive websites with large number of records under it or write a lot of media on the disk then SSDs can prove to be highly beneficial. But if you have a normal site with average size of database then even SAS would do a great job for you.
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

ssd or not

If the HDD node has good SSD caching (most good hosts do), you won't need it.

I can't say SSDs are more reliable than mechanical hard disks (personally, I had a couple of them fail on me irl, whereas I never had to resort to my backups on mechanical HDDs, due to how you could usually hear when they were about to go down the gutter).

However, the performance improvement is noticeable and high.
    It depends on your application, too. If you read from the disk quite a bit, don't write to it all that much, go for SSD, it's pretty much made for you.

If you never really read from the disk, and pretty much anything in memory, you don't need it.

If you trash the disk, virtually writing over it ever day, a SSD won't last long.

Note: If you use an old kernel (< 3.7) and plan to use software RAID, you do NOT have TRIM support. Just as you get pre-3.7 people saying that it doesn't matter, you'll get heaps of post-3.7 people telling you how important TRIM is . But since it's a VPS, you don't have much influence on it anyway.

If you just host some "normal" which usage fair low disc, you wouldn't feel the difference unless you running, eg, database, for sure you can feel it.
    ControlVM.com :: Elastic Cloud Hosting Alternatives to VPS Reliable Cloud Server
    Enterprise Hosting @
    Malaysia ● Germany ● USA ● Singapore
    We Accept: Paypal
    Alipay GrabPay Credit/Debit Card FPX Bank Transfer Bank TT

@ControlVM has right. It is noticable when you use for example heave database access.
    Marcin Krupinski
    HOSTINEURO
    Fast,reliable VPS and Dedicated Servers in Europe (Germany / Netherlands)
    Red Hat Certified Engineer(RHCE)

Just one note about SSD drives: They seem to be more prone to HW failure than SATA or SAS drives, so if you're going to utilize a system with SSD, you need to make sure that it is definitely in a RAID10 configuration (4 drives MINIMUM).

Although rare, RAID failures as a result of the "0" or "1" pairs failing can happen, so make sure you ALSO have current backups, especially if your site is database driven.
    Doug Hazard - "retired" Web Hosting Master
    * Full Stack (Web/WP) Dev for The Catholic Diocese of Richmond (160+ sites)
    * Sports Photographer, Media Personality and CFB Historian
    * Tech Admin for several Sports Networks/Sites

Thanks for your replys I went with ssd cached hdd vps as sites I have are mysql heavy if I see major difference ill look at moving back to pure ssd.

Hello,

SSD's overall are definatly the most proferable choice by any person looking for fast speeds. However if you need alot of Disk Space you will not get any large amount of Disk Space with SSD's.

Here's your choice:

More Space slower disk
    Less space 10x fast disk

Hope my advise helps!

SSD is more preferable then other drive like SATA. SSD contains no moving parts inside and it is similar to our memory card or USB. It is also much faster then SATA in terms of speed.

Quote Originally Posted by lw-host View Post
    Thanks for your replys I went with ssd cached hdd vps as sites I have are mysql heavy if I see major difference ill look at moving back to pure ssd.
    I'm in doubt ssd cached hdd can make much difference for VPS.
    Please share your experience if possible.
    PremiumReseller.com Hyper-V SSD VPS USA London Singapore
    Reseller Hosting Cpanel PURE SSD CloudLinux Softaculous
    Windows Reseller Asp.NET 4.5 MSSQL SmarterMail Enterprise

Quote Originally Posted by PremiumHost View Post
    I'm in doubt ssd cached hdd can make much difference for VPS.
    Please share your experience if possible.
    Personally it didn't do a lot for us. Maybe if you throw a ton of cache at it you'll end up benefiting, but if you're doing even just a 128GB ssd infront of a few TB of space? Doesn't do much.

It's case-by-case since it depends entirely on your userbase. If you have a couple users that slam the disks with a ton of reads (busy SQL with heavy SELECTs for instance)? then it can take a good load off it.

If you get a normal VPS node work load, though, you'll be up a creek.

Francisco
    BuyVM - OpenVZ & KVM Based VPS Servers - Chat with us
    - All popular VPN methods supported
    - Affordable offloaded MySQL & DDoS protection
    - 5GB backup space, unmetered private LAN bandwidth & native IPv6 included. All with a strong serving of pony

If you want faster read/write, you definitely would want to go with SSD. SSD is a bit more costly though.

I would prefer to go with SSD. You will find it bit costly but it will provide you fast performance than normal drive.