Need 2U space at Coresite Manhattan

We have a 2U server we need to connect to AWS Direct Connect. The only data center doing this in New York is Coresite at 32 Avenue of Americas, NYC.

Looking to rent space from existing CoreSite customer with some spare space. We are a bootstrapping financial startup and do not want to rent a whole rack from CoreSite.

Thanks for your help.

AWS Direct is available at CoreSite LA and NYC.

Server must be in NYC area

Our server has to be in the NYC area due to the amount of financial data it collects...the only AWS Direct Connect location in NYC area is at CoreSite Manhattan.

Isn't the AWS Connect at that location backhauled to Virginia?

It is backhauled to Virginia...but the key is that I do not pay for that. Just pay my monthly AWS Direct Connect fee.

Understood, but that seems to negate the "must be in NYC" requirement.

Our server must be in NYC so it close to the data feeds. Server has large amounts of data on it, but only a subset is being sent into AWS cloud.

Where is it located now? If it is financial data and sensitive you might as well get transport to coresite and a crossconnect to AWS from the meet me room without needing to put the server there...

Quote Originally Posted by cresci View Post
    Where is it located now? If it is financial data and sensitive you might as well get transport to coresite and a crossconnect to AWS from the meet me room without needing to put the server there...
    It's probably forex related or something similar. For these applications, latency is absolutely critical since you take advantage of a spread in price between two exchanges, buying for 2 cents less than you can sell for on the other exchange. These kinds of pricing differences last for extremely short periods of time (less than one second), so you absolutely must have the lowest latency possible to the networks you need to arbitrage for this to work at all. I'm fairly sure this is the reason for the strict location requirement of the OP. Even a difference of 1ms can make a difference between profit and loss, so colocating in a different place and backhauling to where the data feed is located is a bad solution to this kind of problem.
    IOFLOOD.com -- We Love Servers
    Phoenix, AZ Dedicated Servers in under an hour
    ★ Ryzen 9: 7950x3D ★ Dual E5-2680v4 Xeon ★
    Contact Us: sales@ioflood.com

Quote Originally Posted by funkywizard View Post
    It's probably forex related or something similar. For these applications, latency is absolutely critical since you take advantage of a spread in price between two exchanges, buying for 2 cents less than you can sell for on the other exchange. These kinds of pricing differences last for extremely short periods of time (less than one second), so you absolutely must have the lowest latency possible to the networks you need to arbitrage for this to work at all. I'm fairly sure this is the reason for the strict location requirement of the OP. Even a difference of 1ms can make a difference between profit and loss, so colocating in a different place and backhauling to where the data feed is located is a bad solution to this kind of problem.
    He is already somewhere else, not there, and he needs space in CS NY just because of the AWS Direct Connect, nothing else, at least its what his post says. He doesnt want CSNY due to latency or other factors.

He is already somewhere else, not there, and he needs space in CS NY just because of the AWS Direct Connect, nothing else, at least its what his post says. He doesnt want CSNY due to latency or other factors.
    Our server must be in NYC so it close to the data feeds. Server has large amounts of data on it, but only a subset is being sent into AWS cloud.
    It would certainly seem to me that he needs to be in NYC because of latency to the data feeds. "data feeds" normally would refer to forex pricing feeds. "close" in this case typically means latency. People who absolutely must be in NYC or absolutely must be in Chicago, and seem to want to be in particular buildings or on particular networks in those markets, are very often trying to shave a few ms in order to make money on automated forex or equities trading.

If most of his feeds are in NYC (as he stated) it makes sense he needs to be in NYC. It sounds like he *also* wants the best latency to AWS, so coresite would fit the bill there, so long as latency to NYC was more important than latency to AWS (as he stated was the case). The whole point of the automated trading is to put your servers and network connections into such a configuration that your total latency between data feed A and data feed B is lower than other people trying to play the same game. This is always a bit of a balancing act since the lowest latency location for feed A is not the lowest latency for feed B, and this gets more complex if you want to arbitrage 3 or 4 or 5 feeds simultaneously.

You still did not get the idea, gabe. He is already somewhere in Manhattan (not Coresite, he could be already in his office or Telehouse Chelsea or Broadway for example) already due to the financial trading and he already gets a link to wherever he needs to trade. He is even willing to relocate now (to Coresite Manhattan) in order to get cross connected to AWS to offload some data (and not the major part of it) to Amazon. He wants to keep it in Manhattan in order not to lose the competitive advantage
    So, if he already gets the lowest latency where he is now to his main exchanges, he might as well stay where he is and just get a loop and XC to AWS to complete his needs, instead of moving the server altogether.

Plus by using shared colocation he opens another whole can of worms: security, data protection, etc.

If he's already somewhere else, that was not mentioned anywhere in his posts in this thread, so if you have knowledge of the situation from contact outside the forum here, I hope you'll excuse my ignorance to the full situation the OP is in. With the information available to me in this thread, the request seems entirely reasonable.

Nope, I am inferring this from his posts. It is not a brand new server as it has data going through it already and some subset goes into Amazon, so it is not a new project. Then if it is not at coresite and must stay at NY, then it already is in NY
    Dr-Spock feelings

Nope, I am inferring this from his posts. It is not a brand new server as it has data going through it already and some subset goes into Amazon, so it is not a new project. Then if it is not at coresite and must stay at NY, then it already is in NY
    Dr-Spock feelings
    lol, certainly a reasonable interpretation.

Thank you all for your ongoing discussions about my perceived needs...just to clear up a few things.

1. Latency. Anyone who is latency sensitive (measured in micro seconds) is not going to touch AWS with a barge pole !!

2. Live Trading versus Research. AWS is best used for heavy number crunching but not for live trading. AWS allows us to scale up a lot instances for computation. This server is not used for live trading...would be too slow at CoreSite due to network latency.

As I said before, server has to be in NYC due to getting TBs of data (daily) from other data feeds. Subsets of this are uploaded into AWS as needed.

Going back to my original Q...any suggestions for getting space for 2U server at CoreSite Manhattan without getting a whole rack ? Anyone know of a firm/person with some space they want to rent out ?

Going back then to the original questions:

a) Where is it located now? Is it near any major fiber ring?
    b) Is the data sensitive enough (and server availability) so that you would fear putting it on shared colocation (2U is never dedicated) with someone else touching your cables and accidentally disconnecting or shutting it down?

To answer Q.

1. Current Location. It is in Equinix Data center in NJ (but we are not paying for the rackspace...a trading firm letting us use it for free as we a startup). Fiber connection from there to CoreSite seems to be about $1,000 per month...which is too much.

2. Data Sensitivity. Data is not sensitive. We are looking to share someone's rackspace (and pay for it). We understand that sometimes things go wrong, like loss of a cable or accidental disconnect.

Being a startup, we have to be creative and cost-effective.

Check out Atlantic Metro Communications. They have a cage at 32 AoA and offer AWS direct connect so there's a good chance they should be able to help you out.

Here is the contact info I have for them, tell her Nick from NewYorkCityServers sent you:

Donna Mooney
    dmooney@atlanticmetro.net
    212-792-9950, ext. 119
    NewYorkCityServers.com - Specializing In Dedicated Servers and Financial Hosting
    True Enterprise Service, Tier 3 Manhattan Datacenter, 100+ Gbps Network, 100% Uptime Guarantee, 24x7 Support - Email, Tickets, Phone and Live Chat
    Bandwidth Graphs, Remote Power Control, Automated OS Re-installs, Secured IPMI+KVM Included With Every Server

Thanks for info on Atlantic Metro Communications.

If it works out, I will ask what you like to drink (assuming you do) and I will send you a bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by rivercode View Post
    To answer Q.

1. Current Location. It is in Equinix Data center in NJ (but we are not paying for the rackspace...a trading firm letting us use it for free as we a startup). Fiber connection from there to CoreSite seems to be about $1,000 per month...which is too much.

Being a startup, we have to be creative and cost-effective.
    Not really too much.
    Check if that $1k transport includes all cross connects on all sides.

In Coresite you would be looking at around $250 per fiber cross connect (you will need one for internet and one for the AWS Direct) plus whatever the rack owner will charge you on top of that as profit (250 is coresite's pricing) plus what they will charge for colo. And you will need to pay for the internet bandwidth too, or how will you load data to the server?

Note also that you will not be allowed to connect the server directly (unless you virtualize it and put a VM running Quagga/Vyatta and add fiber ports), you will need to put a router that speaks BGP to talk to AWSDC, as stated in their FAQ:
    http://aws.amazon.com/en/directconnect/pricing/

Q. What are the technical requirements for the connection? AWS Direct Connect supports 1000BASE-LX or 10GBASE-LR connections over singlemode fiber using Ethernet transport. Your device must support 802.1Q VLANs and BGP. See the AWS Direct Connect User Guide for more detailed requirements information.
    Sum all that and maybe that transport will not be the most expensive thing in the world.

But yes, give a talk to AtlanticMetro and they might havea packaged solution for you. Just don't expect it to be fairly cheap, it will be surely over $500 if you count you need to really add a router - they might have an AWS solution that does not need you to have a full BGP router and you use theirs instead.

CoreSite Direct Connect

Quote Originally Posted by rivercode View Post
    We have a 2U server we need to connect to AWS Direct Connect. The only data center doing this in New York is Coresite at 32 Avenue of Americas, NYC.

Looking to rent space from existing CoreSite customer with some spare space. We are a bootstrapping financial startup and do not want to rent a whole rack from CoreSite.

Thanks for your help.
    Rivercode. Hope all is well. I work for CoreSite and can help make a few intros into our existing clientele base if you would like. Feel free to reach out at your convenience.

Best,
    Rich
    617-447-0946