How many gameservers can my server host?

Hi, someone have offered me a server as i'm thinking of hosting gameservers in my country.
    The problem is I don't know much about what a server require of hardware.
    So I was hoping someone here could tell me how many hl2 gameservers this one can take:

-------------------------------------------------
    Server, Dell 2950 III (4 years old)
    2x Intel® Xeon® Quad core Processor,
    2.33GHz, 2x6MB, 1333MHz FSB
    24GB RAM, 1333MHz FSB
    3x Intel PRO Dual Port, Gigabit NIC, PCIe x4
    2x Redundant Power Supply
    2x 146GB SAS 15k 3.5" HD Hot Plug

I will appreciate any thoughts about this so please share your suggestions .

Best Regards
    Mathias.

Moved > Game Servers .

Side note: I just wanna say that I'm very committed to start in this industry. I've setup a lot of different hl2 servers and websites so this is sort of my hobby. But i do not know much about the hardware that goes with gameservers. I do have somewhat have an idea what it can take but I won't rush into it before being fully understandable of what it can run. I'm thinking by the ram it can hold up to around 1500 slots "lag free" on a 100Mbits connection. But I do not have a clue about how much the CPU can take. Please tell me that I'm somewhat in the right direction with this information .
    Last edited by aMazed; 09-23-2013 at 07:43 AM.

Between 1 and 101.

Maybe 500.

Nobody will know except you, it all depends on how you configure your servers.
    Steven Crothers
    No BS cloud engineer and Red Hat architect.

Well of course you can't fully know before you have tested it, but you can make some assumptions based on the hardware. What my biggest concern is the CPU. Is it good enough to host let's say 50 x 20slot CSS Servers without any problems?

2x Intel® Xeon® Quad core Processor, 2.33GHz, 4 cores

maybe a server per physical core if you are lucky and dont plan on overselling. that server seems pretty old. what generation processors? also 2.33ghz is not very fast, you want the best single core performance possible. i suppose it cant hurt to test it though.

What model Xeon's are you using? If I was going to host servers professionally I would use something more recent like the E3-1270v2 in a server. What you're going to need besides fast ram and fast hard drives is a fast Processor with raw power otherwise the Processor can bottleneck each server.

Even with a Dual Quad-Core Server, I wouldn't personally try anything higher than assigning 6 servers at 1 per core and leaving one core open on either processor. Though the best way to do this really is using a Linux server, but if you don't know how to use Linux it can be done with moderate success in Windows you'll just need more ram.

The only way to really find out is to test it, as it grows monitor the CPU, ram, IO and so on...

This is the only real way, you can make a guesstimate but it will never be 100%, just work with it and see how it goes and not each game server will use the same amount of resources which makes it hard to guess

Quote Originally Posted by Largo05 View Post
    What model Xeon's are you using? If I was going to host servers professionally I would use something more recent like the E3-1270v2 in a server. What you're going to need besides fast ram and fast hard drives is a fast Processor with raw power otherwise the Processor can bottleneck each server.

Even with a Dual Quad-Core Server, I wouldn't personally try anything higher than assigning 6 servers at 1 per core and leaving one core open on either processor. Though the best way to do this really is using a Linux server, but if you don't know how to use Linux it can be done with moderate success in Windows you'll just need more ram.
    Totally agree, you don't want to overload it. The e3-1270v2 is probably twice as fast core vs core compared to whatever old quad core that is. Also the e3 processors will use way less power. That may not be a concern if you are renting the server but if you are colocating it can be a big deal. The OP has to keep in mind, just because a server has dual quad cores and 32gb of ram doesn't mean its good. We have had dual quad core xeon servers for a long while now.

Also that way of assigning servers to cores is by far the best. You get full control over what goes where and that means for happy clients.

Thanks for the answers everyone . The problem is that I can't test it before I have bought the server and that's why I wanted to know how much I could expect it to host instead of rush in and buy it. But I guess I ether need to take a leap of faith and buy it or find a newer server.

Quote Originally Posted by aMazed View Post
    Thanks for the answers everyone . The problem is that I can't test it before I have bought the server and that's why I wanted to know how much I could expect it to host instead of rush in and buy it. But I guess I ether need to take a leap of faith and buy it or find a newer server.
    Buying a server is not without it's problems, unless you know what you're doing. More often then not, if something goes wrong you have to spend money out to replace the hardware yourself. If you're not good with Computers then you should steer clear of that route. Mostly because it involves either going to the location your server is located and doing the work on it yourself, paying someone at an outrageous price to do it not including parts, or having them send the server to you at a minimum of 50 bucks shipping and handling and then paying the same or more to ship it back to them.

If you rent a server then if there's an issue, it's the Company's job to take care of any Hardware related issues. I have a Server that I went with a lease to own option and literally i was only paying a premium co-location cost for it each month. Granted I live about 1 state away from the Data Center, so if something breaks I can just drive over there in 4 hours and put that A+ certification of mine to good use!

Anyways though, be very very careful things like this can make or break a company overnight.

Hi, I took a look on another server, it got the specs:

HP ProLiant BL495c G6 blade server
    2 X AMD Six-core Opteron 2600 MHz.
    64 GB SSD disk
    64 GB Ram

Any ideas if this would be a good investment for gameserver hosting?

Personally I would not use an AMD Opteron for game servers.

The 64GB SSD will not be enough for a large operation. I run 250 GB SSDs on my machines.

For my game servers I run the following... Intel Xeon E3-1240V3 Haswell quad-core 3.40GHz, 32GB RAM, 500 GB backup HDDs, 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO SSDs, 1Gbps Network Ports.

Amd is way worse then intel on single core performance which is important for a lot of different game server programs. It makes me sad because I like amd but its the truth based on benchmarks.

Quote Originally Posted by saschoen View Post
    Amd is way worse then intel on single core performance which is important for a lot of different game server programs. It makes me sad because I like amd but its the truth based on benchmarks.
    That's only for Servers, Granted their server processors have been lacking for quite a while. But their Desktop Processors are pretty decent. Sure it isn't Intel, but I've never liked Intel's pricing for gaming rigs, they've been too pricey in the past.

AMD is perfectly fine for game servers.

What do you think Blizzard uses for World of Warcraft with millions of players... Yes AMD.

That blade server is nice but you will need the chassis which is like £6k lol

I'd of taken that 2950 those quads are more than enough for 1000 slots.

Quote Originally Posted by DH-ChrisB View Post
    AMD is perfectly fine for game servers.

What do you think Blizzard uses for World of Warcraft with millions of players... Yes AMD.

That blade server is nice but you will need the chassis which is like £6k lol

I'd of taken that 2950 those quads are more than enough for 1000 slots.
    I hate to say it but you are dead wrong. In 95% of game servers, single thread performance is far more important than cores. AMD had confirmed in public statements that they market to a multithreaded market.

I don't know what you're on about saying 4+ year old quad core cpus will host 1000 slots. There are so many factors that go into determining that. What game? How many slots per game server? What maps, mods, or plugins are the servets running? How fast are the hard drives? Internet connection? OS and OS optimizations?

For all intensive purposes, a Team Fortress 2 server would take a lot more to run than HL2DM or Counter Strike server.

Don't give the OP your 'best guess' especially in a market you are not active in.

P.S. Blizzard uses AMD because their servers are multithreaded.
    Last edited by OSTKCabal; 09-29-2013 at 12:19 PM.

You could calculate this like for HL2DM:

Processor: 1 player ... 50 MHz (for 2,30GHz, that would come to about 40 players)

RAM: 1GB ram would give you 60 slots, (for 24GB ram you have 1400 players)

Connection: 40 slots, 1,6Mbps (100Mbps cca 2000 players)

But this is estimate need some resources dedicated for services, anyway lowest number above is for processor, so for 4 core processor with 2,3GHz you would get 30-50 slots per core, that means your servers could hold 120-200 players. You would not need that much ram, but I would anyhow get 1Gbps link for game server.

I don't think you can really just say like X mhz and Y ram can support Z players. It just doesn't work that way. 1mhz from an old Nehalem xeon is not the same as 1mhz from a brand new Haswell xeon. Same with ram. If that was the case my old dell with dual xeon x5570s and 48gb of ram would be able to support more players then a new e3-1270v3 with 32gb of ram which I can promise is not the case.

It's on old game, and for some kind of games you can actually calculate like that, just try to search official game site and you will see.

P.S.: found it http://planethalflife.gamespy.com/Vi...il&id=4&game=3 , its not exact science but that is why you get range 120-200 slots it 40% difference.
    Last edited by 5n1p; 10-02-2013 at 01:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 5n1p View Post
    It's on old game, and for some kind of games you can actually calculate like that, just try to search official game site and you will see.

P.S.: found it http://planethalflife.gamespy.com/Vi...il&id=4&game=3 , its not exact science but that is why you get range 120-200 slots it 40% difference.
    Well, your "guide" is at least 2 years old if not older. The Source engine in general has changed immensely over the past few years and there are different requirements and recommended settings. (For example, Team Fortress 2 is maxed out to 66.6 Tickrate, no longer 100, which is optimal for that game.)

The best way to test this is ask people with the same / very similar hardware configs, and then test it yourself. Testing it yourself is the most reliable and known method to see if something will work well for your hardware config.