changing from openvz to a cloudlinux supported os

Hi guys currently running an openVZ virtual server for my shared sum clients.

Recently since having quite a few clients on the server (70 ish) we have been getting random load spikes which after looking through logs nothing seems to show anything unusual

I would like to change over to cloudlinux so I can restrict accounts a certain CPU percent to ensure all accounts get a fair load.

Looking at cloudlinux, openVZ is not supported. Is there a way to convert my openVZ to another type such as kvm or others that are supported?

I can also create a new VPS but how would I copy all my files and settings over if I cannot convert the server.

Alec

We were recently faced with a similar situation and have just moved from OpenVZ to KVM+CloudLinux. Unfortunately, there's no "easy" migration along the path of a VM migration.

What we did was setup the KVM node and a new VM with CloudLinux, then transferred the contents. If you're using cPanel, this isn't too bad as you can replicate your setup on the new VM and then use cPanel's bulk transfer function.
    Shaun F
    "Winners never quit. Quitters never win."
    RyleeJames - High Performance Web Hosting
    Shared Hosting | Reseller Hosting | VPS | Dedicated | Get in touch!

Hi Shaun. Thanks for the info. Sounds like we will go the same route as you.

I don't think I am 100% confident that I can successfully do the transfer myself so if you know someone who's willing to do it for me for a price then that would be great.

Where wouls I get a kvm ISO template for solusvm as I only have openVZ atm

Regards
    Alec

Hey,

Well yeah basically just deploying a new KVM/XEN instance then zip OpenVZ VPS and extract into the new KVM/XEN instance should do the trick.

P.S.: Answering your template question, you can just download the ISO of your desired OS and install the OS manually.
    Andrew N. - Senior System Administrator
    Are you in need of an urgent help? 10 minutes response time!
    EmergencySupport - Professional System Administrator and R1Soft Backup Services

Quote Originally Posted by InfusedHosting View Post
    Hi Shaun. Thanks for the info. Sounds like we will go the same route as you.

I don't think I am 100% confident that I can successfully do the transfer myself so if you know someone who's willing to do it for me for a price then that would be great.

Where wouls I get a kvm ISO template for solusvm as I only have openVZ atm

Regards
    Alec
    I'm sure there's plenty of people here on WHT who can assist you with this - perhaps check out the Systems Management Offers forums.

First step is you'll need to get a new server to load the KVM hypervisor onto through the SolusVM installer. Then, you can obtain an abundance of KVM templates for SolusVM at http://tdn.solusvm.com

Hope this helps!
    Shaun F
    "Winners never quit. Quitters never win."
    RyleeJames - High Performance Web Hosting
    Shared Hosting | Reseller Hosting | VPS | Dedicated | Get in touch!