Should I Be Concerned About DOS Attacks On Reseller Accounts?

So I posted earlier about potentially doing reseller hosting. The thing I'm concerned about is DDOS attacks. If one of my clients becomes hated by someone for some crazy reason an attack could start.

I've looked at multiple hosting providers and one of the providers I was considering was croc web. This company actually seems very nice, very patient, and very legit so I want to say that I'm not dissing on them in any way and I might actually use them.

I spoke to one of their sales members and she said that every gig you go over in terms of bandwidth you'll have to pay a dime. I asked what if one of my clients comes under attack from DOS and all my bandwidth gets quickly used up? She said you would be liable to pay for that...

Ok so some sophisticated attacks can actually be at speeds of up to 10 gigabytes a second or more.........I don't know about you but I think that's sort of scary don't you? What happens if a large attacks occurs and the people hosting with you on your reseller account are left to dry or worse yet you could end up THOUSANDS in the hole from going over your bandwidth am I right?

The more I think about this whole reseller thing, the more I'm thinking about staying away you know? Am I being paranoid? Should I be concerned? What should I use as a hosting provider?

Thanks guys!!

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerProgrammer View Post
    Ok so some sophisticated attacks can actually be at speeds of up to 10 gigabytes a second or more.........I don't know about you but I think that's sort of scary don't you? What happens if a large attacks occurs and the people hosting with you on your reseller account are left to dry or worse yet you could end up THOUSANDS in the hole from going over your bandwidth am I right?
    If your reseller gets hit with a 10GbE DDOS, they're probably going to step in and block it one way or another. Maybe they have large-scale DDOS mitigation tools, maybe they'll null-route the IP (taking your site down), but it's unlikely that they'll simply let it roll on and bill you for overages. I'd say "impossible", but nothing surprises me anymore.

Keep in mind that even if you go with a VPS or dedicated server, you're going to have to deal with a DDOS sooner or later. Even a host with "unlimited" bandwidth is going to step in if the DDOS begins to impact their network or other customers.

Using a reseller account is a great way to get started. That frees you from some of the technical demands, leaving you free to learn about managing your customers and growing your business. Some people on WHT consider reseller accounts to be "cheating" or something, but ask them if they own their own servers in their own racks in their own building.
    Fresh Roasted Hosting :: High-performance Harrisburg web hosting since 2012!
    "The only thing better than the world's best customer service is never needing them in the first place."
    Shared :: VPS :: Reseller :: Dedicated :: Co-Location :: SSL Certificates

Should I Be Concerned About DOS Attacks On Reseller Accounts?

Look for another company, most don't change you for DDoS bandwidth because they null route the IPs. I might say take a look at StableHost, perhaps?

You have options like getting reseller hosting from ddos protected server, ddos protected vps or dedicated.
    LankaPartnerHost.Com
    Openvz SolusVm VPS DDOS Protected Canada & Romania
    Dedicated Servers And Satellite Dish Colocation with 1Gbps For IPTV
    Canada Anti DDOS Webhosting, Reseller Hosting, WHMsonic, WHMsonic Resellers

Can any of you recommend reseller hosting from a DDOS protected providers? I've been hearing a lot of good things about crocweb hostdime and STABLEHOST mentioned on here

Is there anything out there that can stop attacks?

Quote Originally Posted by googleman23 View Post
    Is there anything out there that can stop attacks?
    I was looking at something called CloudFlare it probably is decently effective. They have a basic free version which stops some attacks but not everything but get this their full service costs 3,000 dollars.

It probably DOES stop most if not all DDOS attacks...if you have a spare 3,000 that you could logically spend on that. If your website was the next "big thing" like rate my professor or something huge then it might be worth it, otherwise for reseller hosting...no...just no

I don't think any web host is going to mitigate DDOS for a reseller account in shared environment. Even big brands like WiredTree or Liquidweb will be of no help when it comes to big DDOS attacks. You need to find a host that specialize in DDOS mitigation like Black Lotus which will cost a lot more.

To be honest you have the right to concerned because at the end of the day it's your client who are going to get effected. What most resellers do is soon as they get notified of an attack they take down the website and ask the customer to move his services elsewhere, that way you still retain your other customers and their still happy. But this could pose many problems if your on a shared IP as it will be harder to pinpoint who the target client of your is... and I highly doubt you have the budget to do a dedicated IP for each client.
    TrentaHost INC. | 5 Years Operating | DDOS Protected Network | Multiple Locations | 24/7 Support
    DDOS Protected Web/Reseller/Master - DEDICATED IP | WHMCS | CloudFlare | LiteSpeed | CloudLinux
    DDOS Protected KVM Windows & Linux VPS | 7 Locations | 20GBPS DDOS Protection Windows & Linux VPS
    DDOS Protected Dedicated Servers | 20GBPS DDOS Protection | Control Panel | Price Match Guarantee*

All hosting companies should have such protection in place as standard. In terms of being liable yes you will be as its one of your customers, but in most cases the hosting company will step in and null route the IP's and in more extreme cases they will suspend your clients website.
    ▌Midnight Host | We're taking the UK by STORM
    ▌Shared, Reseller and VPS
    ▌Follow us on Twitter
    www.midnighthost.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by TrentaHost View Post
    To be honest you have the right to concerned because at the end of the day it's your client who are going to get effected. What most resellers do is soon as they get notified of an attack they take down the website and ask the customer to move his services elsewhere, that way you still retain your other customers and their still happy. But this could pose many problems if your on a shared IP as it will be harder to pinpoint who the target client of your is... and I highly doubt you have the budget to do a dedicated IP for each client.
    Very good information guys. The part that makes me sad is the idea that good companies like Crocweb which probably are good and potentially BETTER in many aspects don't provide DOS protection at least that's what the lady said.

When you go over to a company like Hostgator they DO PROVIDE this that's what they said that's what their TOS says and I believe it's at least decent in this case.

It's a catch 22. This is why it depends on what you're doing I suppose. For just a PERSONAL WEBSITE I think I might sign up for CrocWeb and it's probably good for that. For reseller hosting I hate to say this it might be good but since it isn't a huge company while it WINS IN SPEED IT LOSES IN OTHER ALMOST MUST HAVE FEATURES.

I am thinking of signing up with them though for my business website!

It's a catch 22. This is why it depends on what you're doing I suppose. For just a PERSONAL WEBSITE I think I might sign up for CrocWeb and it's probably good for that. For reseller hosting I hate to say this it might be good but since it isn't a huge company while it WINS IN SPEED IT LOSES IN OTHER ALMOST MUST HAVE FEATURES.

I think that's a pretty good summary right there. It definitely depends on "what you're doing." Are you operating a business or creating a website that will create fury and anger among individuals that will be likely to attack you? If so, that probably requires special consideration.

If it's just a personal website and *not* extremely offensive -or- likely to spark outrage through some other means, I suspect CrocWeb will suit your needs just fine.

Very good information guys. The part that makes me sad is the idea that good companies like Crocweb which probably are good and potentially BETTER in many aspects don't provide DOS protection at least that's what the lady said.

When you go over to a company like Hostgator they DO PROVIDE this that's what they said that's what their TOS says and I believe it's at least decent in this case.

Most of the shared/reseller hosts do not have real DDOS protection. A custom firewall and some mod_security rules which Hostgator states would not help much.

Take a look at the following:
    http://forums.hostgator.com/gator101...ht=ddos+attack
    http://forums.hostgator.com/gator840...ht=ddos+attack
    http://forums.hostgator.com/pss006-d...ht=ddos+attack

The datacenter will step in and nullroute the IP address if the attacks are large to prevent service disruption to other clients.

If you are looking for real DDOS protection, you need to look at a host with hardware based DDOS protection which would cost $xxx-xxxx per month.
    CrocWeb :: Canadian Web Hosting
    Accelerate your website, maximum performance!
    www.crocweb.com :: Since 2009 (Montreal, Quebec)

Hi
    if you are a hosting reseller don't worry so much on DDos attack.
    but remember always make sure your future customer is not have Bad intentions, and can cost you shut down your reseller account. how to
    let say you sell reseller hosting and you use the word "Unlimited BS"
    and you got crazy customer and set up FTP public and star uploading hundreds of videos. your system administrator can shut down your account without notice always make sure sell the proper resources.
    your job is the same as a network administrator. you must check and run report daily basis. and make sure they are not using the service for spam torrent DNS Flood proxy . trying to make always the relation between you and your customers. and remember always the customer is first and you need to isolate bad influence customers