Looking for collocation in Washington DC Metropolitan Area

Looking for collocation in Washington DC Metropolitan Area for one of my clients
    __
    He want his servers to be accessible to his hands and owned by him in a secured area where he can trust putting sensitive data for their company

Full rack not only 1 server

_
    any suggestion will be appreciated
    Last edited by nawwar; 09-21-2013 at 07:34 PM.

Tyler S.
    TheWareHive.com | Hosting Sites Since 2010

"Problems Of Today, Meet Solutions Of Tomorrow"
    US East ~ Shared, Dedicated & Fully Managed VPS Solutions

Quote Originally Posted by nawwar View Post
    Full rack not only 1 server
    Quote Originally Posted by Dustin Cisneros View Post
    He's going to want to find providers in those DC's.
    Now why would he want to go through a middle man when he is looking for a Full Rack? Can contact the DC directly to setup something instead of paying markups through a "provider".
    Tyler S.

Thank you everyone

Quote Originally Posted by TheWareHive View Post
    Now why would he want to go through a middle man when he is looking for a Full Rack? Can contact the DC directly to setup something instead of paying markups through a "provider".
    You are right he just want me to do the research and he will go directly to the DC

Some providers in that list may not offer *single* cabinet colocation; rather suites and cages only and some may not even provide you with network.. some of the providers listed in that site take a lot more than simply moving in..

Anyway, best of luck.

Why don't they directly write down the cabinet price/m ?! I'm sending the get quote email for everyone but it seems that they all agreed on not writing the cost

Why don't they directly write down the cabinet price/m ?! I'm sending the get quote email for everyone but it seems that they all agreed on not writing the cost
    That's extremely typical for cabinet colocation. It's not a kind of "impulse" buy like other kinds of hosting, so having the price listed doesn't necessarily help them sell more, since a colo client will almost always want to speak with a salesperson before making a final decision anyway.

It also makes it harder for them to negotiate, as it gives lower prices to price insensitive clients than they're willing to pay, and it scares away price sensitive clients who may not realize the price is negotiable. And then if they lower prices for some promotion, people paying the higher prices will be angry. Bottom line is they make more money by making up the pricing as they go along and making sure existing clients don't know how much new clients are being charged.
    Phoenix Dedicated Servers -- IOFLOOD.com
    Email: sales [at] ioflood.com
    Backup Storage VPS -- 1TBVPS.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin Cisneros View Post
    Some providers in that list may not offer *single* cabinet colocation; rather suites and cages only and some may not even provide you with network.. some of the providers listed in that site take a lot more than simply moving in..

Anyway, best of luck.
    I am sorry that you disagree with my suggestion, perhaps next time, instead of critiquing my idea, you offer up a few of your own.
    Tyler S.

try zayo group or equinix for DC
    http://www.QuoteColo.com - colocation, dedicated and cloud quotes

What kind of power requirements do you have?
    LionLink Networks
    Ashburn Data Center Colocation, Infrastructure Solutions, and Premium Optimized Connectivity
    Infrastructure and Colocation Solutions For All Sizes - Managed Services - Dedicated Servers - Data Center Consulting - Now POP'd @ RagingWire!
    Adam Blackington | www.lionlink.net | [email protected] | (844) DATA-CENTER | Ashburn Colocation

I can say with 100% certainty, that at least in this market, this is usually incorrect. Someone who goes in and buys an extensive amount from the Data Center and resells space within in their environment can almost always offer better pricing than the facility itself. This is because a full cabinet is, from an enterprise data center standpoint, not a volume deal. I've seen Data Centers sell the exact same cabinet/power in the same facilities that I'm in for 2-3x more than I've quoted out -- and then have the Data Center say that is their best pricing -- which it is on low volume deals.
    LionLink Networks
    Ashburn Data Center Colocation, Infrastructure Solutions, and Premium Optimized Connectivity
    Infrastructure and Colocation Solutions For All Sizes - Managed Services - Dedicated Servers - Data Center Consulting - Now POP'd @ RagingWire!
    Adam Blackington | www.lionlink.net | [email protected] | (844) DATA-CENTER | Ashburn Colocation

We have a full cabinet with LionLink and could not be happier with the pricing, network, and support. Their space in the RagingWire datacenter in Ashburn is pretty sweet too. We plan to be with them for years into the future and hope to get a few more cabinets in that time. I recommend them 110%.

http://www.lionlink.net/

Power, network connection, own AS and network provider or use the DC's?

You are right he just want me to do the research and he will go directly to the DC
    You can get provider agnostic quotes from QuoteColo - they'll get you like 5-10 pretty accurate quotes. Is price the main deciding factor? If so you can use someone like expertcolocation.com, whom offers cabinets for $549 each. If premium networks and security are of utmost concern, I'd recommend a company like Rackspace, Equinix, or the like, and you can expect to pay $1200+.

Also, DC is different than VA. Northern VA will probably have a little lower prices than downtown DC.

Also, DC is different than VA. Northern VA will probably have a little lower prices than downtown DC.
    Prince William/Manassas area will be cheaper than Ashburn. .001 difference in speed, so basically irrelevant in terms of speed, cost though will be different.

Quote Originally Posted by FortressDewey View Post
    Prince William/Manassas area will be cheaper than Ashburn. .001 difference in speed, so basically irrelevant in terms of speed, cost though will be different.
    Yep. That's certainly true. Seems like there are a ton of lower cost data centers sprouting up in the Ashburn/Dulles/Herndon area too though. I guess it just depends how far you'd like to drive to access your equipment.

19. The changelogs indicate that you'll want to use 1:30 or newer to minimize these issues. 1.32 is newest but we found 'launch java consol' to be greyed out in that version so we're using 1:30 which is a little better.