Thread: Load Balancing

Load Balancing

Hi, I was wondering if its possible to setup load balancing using the Cisco Catalyst 4948-10GE switch?

Basically what I am trying to do is setup load balancing so that my servers can share cpu, memory, and storage resources.

My site uses a DB aswell and it is very cpu and storage intensive.

Let me know what the best option for this would be.

A switch is only going to load balance the network activity like LACP. It's not going to load balance applications like you want.

The BEST option would be something like an F5 or Citrix Netscaler, but that's additional hardware. I know IIS has a software load balancing option, I'm sure something can be done to software load balance on linux as well.

Do you have the DB on the same server as the webserver? If so you may first want to consider offloading the DB to a separate server, that may free up enough resources for your web server to keep up with the demand.

Hi, thanks for the reply.

The DB is on the same server as the webserver but the DB barley uses any resources.

Can we put load balancing software on the machines themselves and then use the switch rather than getting additional hardware such as F5?