Raid 1 on different HDDs

sdb = WDC WD2002FAEX-007BA0

sda = WDC WD5003AZEX-00K1GA0

Would it be good/bad/indifferent to run raid 1 with the above HDDs?

Ideally you want to use the same HDD's with same firmware when running a raid. However depending on what you want to use the raid for will depend on if its good or bad.
    If the main reason for creating a raid 1 is for HA then i don't see a problem.
    You obviously going to create a 500GB partition on the 2TB disk and mirror that?
    What you plan on doing with the remaining 1.5TB will also affect the equation.

You want to have both drives the same size.

If you do a RAID1 array using your 500GB drive and the 2TB drive, it will only use 500GB on the 2TB drive in the RAID1 array.

Quote Originally Posted by AHFBWEB View Post
    sdb = WDC WD2002FAEX-007BA0

sda = WDC WD5003AZEX-00K1GA0

Would it be good/bad/indifferent to run raid 1 with the above HDDs?
    I assume that you have these two drives laying around, in which case they're perfectly fine to run in software RAID (they don't have TLER so don't use them in H/W RAID). You can use the remaining 1.5TB on the other disk for another non-RAID partition if desired (but that would result in more writes to that disk slowing down the RAID set).
    Dallas Colocation by Incero, 8 years and counting!
    e: sales(at)incero(dot)com • 855.217.COLO (2656)
    Colocation & Enterprise Servers, SATA/SAS/SSD, secure IPMI/KVM remote control, 100% U.S.A. Based Staff
    SSAE 16, SAS70, Redundant Power & Network, Fully Diverse Fiber

I have to admit that HD management and raid would be at the bottom of my list for things I am familiar with.

I am supposed to have 2-500g wd black, in software raid 1. Of course I would love the 2TB if they were both such, so that it could be usable. I guess my concern would be the speed. Would the 2tb slow it down? If you were paying for 2 - 500gb would you complain if you got this setup of 1 - 500 GB and 1 - 2 TB?
    Technical Advisor for new A&E Series The Killing Season
    There are no random acts of violence
    Starts November 5th!

I always prefer hardware raid over software raid but you can certainly have two different drive size. Based on the specs of what you have, you would just be wasting the space on the larger drive.

The 2tb drive is likely faster than the 500gb drive, so the 2tb would not slow it down. Write speeds are dictated by the slower of the two drives. This is true even with identical drives, as they don't always perform the same! One of the best ways we found to spot a defective drive is to put them in the same workload on a raid 1 and see that the i/o utilization % is double for one vs the other. That one gets RMA'd right away.

Back to the topic at hand, if you don't mind have a 500gb raid 1 partition and 1.5tb empty space on the 2tb drive (which you could format as non-raid space if you want), then sure it will work. It's not something I would recommend but it shouldn't give you any issues other than the obvious.
    Phoenix Dedicated Servers -- IOFLOOD.com
    Email: sales [at] ioflood.com
    Backup Storage VPS -- 1TBVPS.com

Quote Originally Posted by db-az View Post
    I always prefer hardware raid over software raid but you can certainly have two different drive size. Based on the specs of what you have, you would just be wasting the space on the larger drive.
    For the WD Blacks he has you definitely shouldn't use hardware raid. Also with software raid it would be easier to make use of the "spare" space on the 2tb drive than it is on some h/w raid cards.

Quote Originally Posted by funkywizard View Post
    For the WD Blacks he has you definitely shouldn't use hardware raid.
    Why not? It's not as ideal as a RE4 drive, but there's nothing wrong with using blacks in a HW Raid.
    NEPA Fiber
    AS 394868 - Wilkes-Barre, PA
    █ Fiber Internet, Dedicated Servers, Colocation, Cloud
    100% Uptime SLA - 24/7/365 Support

Quote Originally Posted by Encrypted View Post
    Why not? It's not as ideal as a RE4 drive, but there's nothing wrong with using blacks in a HW Raid.
    No. Only drives with TLER should be used in H/W RAID otherwise an extended seek on a consumer drives can result in a hardware RAID controller thinking the drive has become unresponsive and drop it from the array. This can cause compounded issues if the drop occurs during a rebuild.

Some basic info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Error_recovery_control
    Dallas Colocation by Incero, 8 years and counting!
    e: sales(at)incero(dot)com • 855.217.COLO (2656)
    Colocation & Enterprise Servers, SATA/SAS/SSD, secure IPMI/KVM remote control, 100% U.S.A. Based Staff
    SSAE 16, SAS70, Redundant Power & Network, Fully Diverse Fiber

Quote Originally Posted by Encrypted View Post

Quote Originally Posted by gordonrp View Post
    No. Only drives with TLER should be used in H/W RAID otherwise an extended seek on a consumer drives can result in a hardware RAID controller thinking the drive has become unresponsive and drop it from the array. This can cause compounded issues if the drop occurs during a rebuild.

Some basic info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Error_recovery_control
    What he said.

if you made a hardware raid 1 you loose the 1,5TB and can use only the 500 MB.
    if you use software raid 1 you can use the rest of 1,5Tb for same else.

Raid 1 on different HDDs

you can use 1 of the following
    Hardware RAID:-in this 1.5TB is wasted.
    Software RAID:- in this you can use whole space.