Hostgator VPS hell

I had shared hosting for 4 years with hostgator. Due to the server "upgrade" this summer, my sites were all of the sudden using too many resources.

Note: sites = same, server= new - the ONLY variable was the new server "upgrade"

I switched to VPS hosting on HOSTGATOR... mistake.

I have had 2 crashes and no resolution. In contacting technical support I've been repeatedly told I was putting too much on the server. It was about 15% of what I had on shared hosting. That seems to be the template response. After 2 of us contacting hostgator day and night and after technicians escalating to admins, admin #3 they finally figured out that the VPS was configured incorrectly and also, we were not getting the VPS level we were paying for, it was at a level below. Wow, is this a bait and switch? They don't know how to set up VPS servers and then they can't support them?

Their technical people used to be sharp, now you get idiots who don't bother to read my responses to their questions. I'm losing a customer because of these guys. I've been a loyal customer, I don't deserve this.

Is this a new regime at hostgator? Who is making the bonehead decisions to cut quality and support quality? Who is over tech support there? Does anyone have an email of leadership there?

HG VPS was not that great to start with but now that they were acquired by EIG all down hill just read all of the HG Negative reviews since the takeover. A good managed provider will investigate & show the cause of your overloads and give you some options.

Is this a new regime at hostgator?
    yes the old regime has been gone for about a year now EIG bought them
    Lowest Host/Empire Technology LLC
    Offering Quality Shared, Reseller, VPS servers, and Dedicated Servers
    24x7 Tech Support http://empire-hosting.net
    XEN Servers Now http://xenserversnow.com - Budget XEN VPS /

Quote Originally Posted by cj100 View Post
    I had shared hosting for 4 years with hostgator. Due to the server "upgrade" this summer, my sites were all of the sudden using too many resources.

Note: sites = same, server= new - the ONLY variable was the new server "upgrade"

I switched to VPS hosting on HOSTGATOR... mistake.

I have had 2 crashes and no resolution. In contacting technical support I've been repeatedly told I was putting too much on the server. It was about 15% of what I had on shared hosting. That seems to be the template response. After 2 of us contacting hostgator day and night and after technicians escalating to admins, admin #3 they finally figured out that the VPS was configured incorrectly and also, we were not getting the VPS level we were paying for, it was at a level below. Wow, is this a bait and switch? They don't know how to set up VPS servers and then they can't support them?

Their technical people used to be sharp, now you get idiots who don't bother to read my responses to their questions. I'm losing a customer because of these guys. I've been a loyal customer, I don't deserve this.

Is this a new regime at hostgator? Who is making the bonehead decisions to cut quality and support quality? Who is over tech support there? Does anyone have an email of leadership there?
    Don't be shocked its now a EIG Company
    EdenHost.Com - Domains | Shared | Reseller | VPS | VPS Resellers | SSL
    Eden Web+ - We Develop Your Vision | Graphic Designing | Advertising and SEO | Web Designing | Web Development | Server Management | Website Management | Support Services
    Call/Text Us Today! +91-7509-077999 | +1-(828)-330-EDEN

I'm sorry to hear granted it does depend on how you setup your vps there is few ways to optimize it.. I hope you have better luck keep us posted on that.
    Mrgeekchris.com ~ It's not just a job It's a passion
    "Mistakes are proof that you are trying"

I swear EIG hires computers/AI as their support reps.. I feel for you my friend.

Many years ago I used BlueHost (another EIG host) and I would get so frustrated with their canned responses and lack of knowledge, even for the simplest of requests. I moved every client I had with HG away, as soon as I learned about the EIG sale. And I'm very glad I did..

Since the acquisition and the more recent data center migrations, the average opinion of HG appears to have decreased considerably. You're probably going to experience one of two outcomes if you stick around - 1. quality of service and support continues to decline or 2. HG makes a comeback and improves the quality of their services.

So, the question becomes -- Do you want to roll the dice? Can you afford to take the risk that the quality won't improve? Especially if you've already lost a customer over this situation, the answer to that question may definitely be leaning toward a "no." But that's absolutely your call...

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan V View Post
    You're probably going to experience one of two outcomes if you stick around - 1. quality of service and support continues to decline or 2. HG makes a comeback and improves the quality of their services.
    #2 Will never happen

#1a Lose emails
    #1b Very slow or down website
    1#c All your data lost

As HostingBig, HG VPS's are not that good to begin with....over-priced for less resources. Throw EIG in the mix...........

Moved > VPS Hosting.

Quote Originally Posted by 48-14 View Post
    #2 Will never happen

#1a Lose emails
    #1b Very slow or down website
    1#c All your data lost

As HostingBig, HG VPS's are not that good to begin with....over-priced for less resources. Throw EIG in the mix...........
    Oh it appears we definitely have the same expectations. I certainly didn't mean to imply that I suspect the OP is dealing with equal probabilities for each potential outcome of "future quality." The evidence suggests otherwise. However, since the OP actually has a lot more personal experience with HG's hosting service than me, I'm trying to be somewhat neutral and let him draw his own conclusions.

Correction....

Quote Originally Posted by 48-14 View Post
    As HostingBig said, HG VPS's are not that good to begin with....over-priced for less resources. Throw EIG in the mix...........

Note to self, always double check before posting. Just wanted to clear that up. Good ol English grammar.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan V View Post
    However, since the OP actually has a lot more personal experience with HG's hosting service than me, I'm trying to be somewhat neutral and let him draw his own conclusions.

I was on the same road as the OP with HG for some years. Just like the OP, it was effecting my clients and customers, had to leave.

Re: Hostgator VPS hell

Their OpenVZ vps's are just as oversold as the shared hosting. Find yourself a KVM, Xen or VMware provider and you'll be better off.
    █| VEEROTECH.NET - Shared, Reseller & VPS Hosting
    █| High Performance *Pure SSD* CloudLinux & LiteSpeed Powered Web Hosting
    █| cPanel & WHM - Softaculous - Website Builder - R1Soft - SpamExperts - Let's Encrypt

Re: Hostgator VPS hell

Quote Originally Posted by cj100 View Post

You are now dealing with an equity owned company who's sole concern is maximizing profits. Its not going to get any better..
    █| VEEROTECH.NET - Shared, Reseller & VPS Hosting
    █| High Performance *Pure SSD* CloudLinux & LiteSpeed Powered Web Hosting
    █| cPanel & WHM - Softaculous - Website Builder - R1Soft - SpamExperts - Let's Encrypt

I know you didn't ask for recommendations but dare I suggest you look into Future Hosting for your VPS needs? No I don't work for them ;-)

But I've been hosting with them for over 4 years and they're just fabulous.
    Your Independent Expert Guide to Website Hosting & Development
    http://www.webhostinghero.com

I would not be shocked at all if I had service with HG and it ran all smoothly till one day everything falls and the account kicksthe bucket. HostGator use to be a very good company and they earned their respect but ever sins EIG started taking over compamies those companies they did buy out ended up going down hill and I mean way down hill..

Learn from this. Go with a provider that is much more smaller and who has that extra time to dedicated into your setvices and request.

EIG was taking over companies in 2003 -- 10 years ago! -- and running them into the ground then.
    The first time I got screwed by EIG was when they bought out Hypermart.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

Sounds to me like they swindled you. First, they make you pay more to move to a VPS. Then, they tell you need to upgrade the VPS cause its crashing. And to top it off, they gave you the wrong VPS plan. So you would've been paying 3 times what you were for the shared hosting if you upgraded it again. I wonder what gatorpatrick has to say about this screw up...
    Little Apps
    Open Source Software