Any good web site stats utilities?

Hello everyone,

I recently created a web site for a friend of mine, but he is a stats junkie and wants to see various information about the site and traffic and stuff.

I poked around my cPanel and only saw Webalizer and Awstats. Both are OK, with the latter generating prettier looking stats pages, but I was wondering if there was anything else out there that was better or nicer looking. I don't know if anything would be as detailed as these two since they are installed at the host side.
    As far as "better" I would imagine just more detailed and stuff.

Anything I should look at?
    SuperUnlimitedHosting!
    Unlimited Space! Unlimited Bandwidth! Unlimited Domains/MySQL/Everything!
    24/7 Live Support! 101% Uptime - Guaranteed!
    Disclaimer: This does not exist...........yet!

dare I say it..... Google Analytics ?

That was one of the first that popped into my mind.
    However, that requires code to be injected into every page of the web site, does it not? Not that it's not doable, but I was thinking something more along the lines of something I could install or run in the backend, similar to Awstats and such.

I suppose I can give the Analytics a try though, I don't think it'd hurt anything.

Is there anything else people use, or is it pretty much just that these days?
    SuperUnlimitedHosting!

if you want something you can install, i think smarterstats is the next best thing

awstats and google analytics are pretty much enough.

Check and see if you can enable "Logaholic". It is installed and can be enabled on every cpanel server.
    █ cmsbased.net - web hosting templates
    █ WHMCS + WordPress Integrated. Automatic template sync.
    █ Beautiful responsive designs and advanced CMS and SEO functionality.

Thanks for the suggestion - I poked around my cPanel, but it seems I am unable to enable Logaholic, as it says it's been locked by the administrator.

I believe I enabled everything for my site via WHM, so it's likely that it is my host. Curiously, Webalizer and Awstats (and Analog) are all locked as well, but Webalizer and Awstats is still accessible via the main cPanel Logs section.

I took a look at SmarterStats and it looks good, although I will have to do more research on it, and check in with my host to see if I am even allowed to install it.

I am also interested in the Google Analytics, but I have my doubts about it. Mainly because it requires embedding JavaScript, and it works off tracking cookies. Personally, I don't have a problem with them, but with users now more interested in protecting their privacy, many of them don't quite know how to configure their tools correctly, so it may end up inadvertently blocking the Google Analytics. That and personally I get annoyed when web sites I visit have their loading delayed due to waiting for analytics to load/respond.

I will continue looking into it to see if I can work with it, though.

If anyone else has any other suggestions, I am open to hearing them.
    SuperUnlimitedHosting!

You may want to give Piwik a try. The interface and reporting options are very similar to Google Analytics (+ it records IP addresses and can be configured to list your visitors by IP). I installed it with a WordPress blog on a cloud PaaS solution, and there was some functionality that I liked better *and* worse between Google Analytics -- there's going to be some pros and cons, many which will probably vary based on your personal preference.

One con that I intend to explore in more detail is that Piwik appeared to be somewhat resource intensive compared to the blog itself. If you try it, and you're able to monitor the resource usage, I'd be very interested in whatever you discover.
    Last edited by Ryan V; 09-20-2013 at 08:47 PM. Reason: typo correction

None of the utility can compare with google analytics. You should give a try to this. It's really awesome. Also you can give a try to awstats.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkRogue View Post
    However, that requires code to be injected into every page of the web site, does it not?
    Is your site just some html files or is it based on a software such as WordPress, Joomla, etc?
    My vote goes to Google Analytics as well.
    Michael Vlastos
    HostWired.com - Innovative Hosting Solutions since 2005 | cPanel, Softaculous
    Personalized support | No site suspensions | No overloaded servers | Green Hosting
    Multiple Backups | Average Response Time: 20 min | Toll Free: 1-855-ECO-HOST

As Dr Michael was trying to say, GA code can be included in any common file like the footer file, if you are using any sort of dynamic sites. I don't think you would be using plain HTML pages for a large site, so GA should not be hard to install.

The fact is almost every site uses Google Analytics, so your concern about using Javascript, cookies etc doesn't really matter. Except for bots, you are unlikely to be loosing out any real traffic. There are hardly any who dosable Javascript / Cookies, as that means they wont be able to use something as basic as Gmail.

Piwik is also a good program, it is hosted on your server so if you have heavy traffic, it could add to some load as well.
    Hosting Coupons: MediaTemple Recurring Discount, HostNine Offers and more..

We use both Logaholic and Piwik. Both work fine. Logaholic extracts information from the server logs however, so it should be more precise.
    Host Color Cloud Servers & Dedicated Hosting & European Infrastructure Hosting
    U.S. Data center 90 miles from Chicago
    Network ★ AS46873 Level 3, Cogent, Hurricane Electric, Retn.net, Midwest Peering
    24/7 Support 1-574-367-2393; Skype: HostColor

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Michael View Post
    Is your site just some html files or is it based on a software such as WordPress, Joomla, etc?
    My vote goes to Google Analytics as well.
    I've thrown up a temporary page in HTML while I work on a more full-featured site utilizing the ExpressionEngine CMS as its base.

Quote Originally Posted by alemcherry View Post
    As Dr Michael was trying to say, GA code can be included in any common file like the footer file, if you are using any sort of dynamic sites. I don't think you would be using plain HTML pages for a large site, so GA should not be hard to install.

The fact is almost every site uses Google Analytics, so your concern about using Javascript, cookies etc doesn't really matter. Except for bots, you are unlikely to be loosing out any real traffic. There are hardly any who dosable Javascript / Cookies, as that means they wont be able to use something as basic as Gmail.

Piwik is also a good program, it is hosted on your server so if you have heavy traffic, it could add to some load as well.
    I am aware that I can embed this easily. It should be trivial to add a section of JavaScript code to both an HTML page, and the EE templates, and I can probably even stuff it in an external JS file and call it in to save some copy/pasting time.

The thing is that I would rather have stats working more invisibly to the user, and having programs reading the logs seems to give much broader information. It's different information from what Google Analytics can give me for sure, but GA can only work on pages it's embedded in.

Still, I will discuss with my friend about the merits and demerits of having GA and it'll be his call. However, I can probably still run one of the other log-reading programs to supplement it. I just have to look at all the suggestions so far and then see if my host will support these.

Are there any other good ones besides SmarterStats and Piwik?
    Or maybe I should ask if there are any I should avoid? Every product's site speaks of how great they are.
    SuperUnlimitedHosting!

We use Clicky stats. They have a free version as well and its purely amazing what they offer. Their statistics are very reliable and accurate.

Is there not a common file in the templates that you can throw it in? Surely the templates aren't all entirely different.

+1 to awstats

Re: Any good web site stats utilities?

Another +1 for Piwik. Been running it for a while on a few of my personal sites and a client of mine.

Does everything either of us could need and has a nifty mobile app (for Android at least) that gives you most of it's functionality in your pocket.

Also rigged it up to send me a daily SMS overview of traffic.

I would recommend using Piwik. It is free and can be installed in your hosting account.

Cpanel has AWSTATS and I like to use them.

I personally like Logaholic, but its not very common among web hosts.

Well, I pinged my host with a couple weekend support tickets about various things, this included.

They say I am free to install other logging software as long as it doesn't consume too many server resources, so that's one open avenue for me.
    They also say they have not yet been able to test Logaholic yet, but that when they do, they'll look into enabling it.

I did look up some reviews for SmarterStats, and it seems for a single domain they offer a free version. Unfortunately, it appears that the free version is a program installed on a local PC, which you then feed logs manually into. This in itself isn't a problem, but there are quite a fair number of negative reviews about the software.

I am looking into Piwik now. Is there a sort of global term for this type of stuff I can Google? Is it just web site analytics?

Edit:
    Wooo. 10 years for 300 posts. Haha.
    SuperUnlimitedHosting!

Pwik and OWA.

Tested both...easy to set up...preferred Pkik...but it all comes down to your needs.

Logaholic for me, but Dr Michael makes a good point. GA as well.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkRogue View Post

I am looking into Piwik now. Is there a sort of global term for this type of stuff I can Google? Is it just web site analytics?
    Yep, "web analytics" is actually how I found Piwik in the first place. I read about it, but didn't actually try it until I found a thread here on WHT recommending it if you need something "similar to Google Analytics" but also want to track visitors by IP address. You can probably add "tools" or "software" to "web analytics" for even more results in the search engines.

We use SmarterStats if you want something to install and it does everything we want it to do. It emails us automatically with different reports every month, you can also do custom reports.

I say awstats and google analystic

Seems there are a lot of blockers available for GA. I wonder how many people ghost through sites and GA never sees them.
    Will Rogers said, "there's 3 sorts of people in this world, those who learn by books, those who learn by the experiences of others, and those who just have to pee on the electric fence every now and then."

I use Ghostery so any site I visit would block Google Analytics.

Ultimately, you need to add the code to your site. You run ExpressionEngine so just put it in your footer template (I'm assuming you set EE up correctly and use includes for the header, meta, footer, etc. templates. If not, you should).

GA isn't a log analyzer though, it's web analytics. Log analyzers just go through your domain's access logs (and some other logs, which is why you typically need root access to install it) and pull relevant information.

So use GA and the vetted AWStats. That's more info than your friend will know what to do with.