Hoobastank68 banned?

May I ask why he was? I kind of liked the guy, although most of his posts were pointless.........

I suspended him because he insisted on recommending hosts he obviously had no experience with.

He's welcome back after either 1) his suspension is over, or 2) he can show me he's had direct experience with the hosts he's been recommending...

He seemed to be randomly recommending these hosts, and then would later start threads like "oh i did a search on XXXhost and saw a lot of bad threads, any experience?"

Glad to hear he will be back. He is a character.

So in other words by me recommending httpme.com or unitedhosting.co.uk, i actually warrant a suspension?
    Have you Floble'd today?

Well, it is a rule to not recemmend hosts you haven't had direct experience with. They should add to that rule not to point users away from a host unless they have had experience with them also.

Originally posted by Rob_AcuNett
    Well, it is a rule to not recemmend hosts you haven't had direct experience with. They should add to that rule not to point users away from a host unless they have had experience with them also.
    That would definitely be a good addition to the rule.

Originally posted by sanjiv
    So in other words by me recommending httpme.com or unitedhosting.co.uk, i actually warrant a suspension?
    technically yes - i've been warned before for breaking the same rule (with the same host)

I usually won't enforce it, but hoobastank recommended a couple hosts, only later to say he found some threads that showed bad comments and he never said he had direct experience...gives other members a false sense of security....

and i wont deny the fact that his offtopic banter and useless posts (like ummmmm) got a bit too much and it made it seem like he was intent on uping his postcount, but that wasn't the reason i suspended him

Originally posted by deadserious
    That would definitely be a good addition to the rule.
    Except that the first one is rarely inforced.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

Originally posted by akash

and i wont deny the fact that his offtopic banter and useless posts
    Hmm. Not like any hosts never say HiHi or pop in without any added value to a thread except to spam their sigs nor have I seen any threads that have gone off topic? No favortism on WHT.

Originally posted by FTPguy
    Hmm. Not like any hosts never say HiHi or pop in without any added value to a thread except to spam their sigs nor have I seen any threads that have gone off topic?
    the ones that get reported to me (like hoobastanks) i'll get removed, otherwise i dont spend my time looking for them (so it's not favoritism ).

sorry, but i dont have time to go through each thread and delete all the one liners and off topic posts. i'm not about to become another chicken, especially when we have 4 other active mods (and possibly more to come).

You've reported a couple threads already, and i've taken care of at least one of the reports - so as you can see, we rely on you and every other member to help us do our jobs (which btw, are not paid jobs)

edit: hoobastank was also warned at least twice before for rule violations, so it's not like i ban without warning. He was given plenty of chances and oppurtunities
    Last edited by Akash; 04-06-2003 at 11:25 PM.

You have no basis to recommend them unless you have used them yourself.

Often we see hosting companies recommending another host, and in return
    them recommending back, pretty sick, that was short lived instant banning.
    MattF - Since the start..

I think its obvious that people should only recommend firms they have had direct experience with, however this is something which will rarely be enforced due to it being hard to spot.

Hoobastank68 being suspended is a great example to people who do this. Akash was correct in his actions.
    Matt Wallis
    United Communications Limited
    High Performance Shared & Reseller | Managed VPS Cloud | Managed Dedicated
    UK www.unitedhosting.co.uk | US www.unitedhosting.com | Since 1998.

So what about adding to the rule "No pointing users away from hosts unless they have had direct experience with them."?

How about it mods?

hoobastank was a jerk, i hope he stays away but some crazy things go down at WHT, suddenly your favorite user is gone disabled account

Excellent Job

Akash...

I think you are doing an excellent job....he crossed the line many times....you warned....he continued.....you banned.

I continue to be very impressed by your judgement.

Yes, Akash, you are doing a fantastic job as a mod IMHO.