Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Ewebber View Post
    Well Yogesh he can set his DNS to update in 1 hour, (or less or more), and in that way repointing to and from the server is fairly quick. I know, I have been repointing 1 mailing domain to a different server for 4 weeks now just to do some testing for a couple of days. I then repoint it back to the main server until the next week. My DNS is set at 1 hour and that is about how long it takes.
    While that might be what your settings are, not every ISP DNS server is going to respect it and update as frequently and in any case you are still adding at least one hour of delay, even if everything goes according to plan.

If the database isn’t frequently updated, then he can probably implement load balancing with another server placed at a different data center and that would add redundancy.

Cloud Flare helps. It caches your website and your web site shows up when it's offline.

Quote Originally Posted by instantaccess View Post
    I also don't see people asking if someone would share a server, or trade a dns nameserver service or anything. That's kind of odd to me. It seems like some people could really benefit from working together here in ways that I don't see. happening, especially new hosts looking for mentors, etc.
    I am not shooting down your idea. I think it's likely that there is something that I did not think of.

For the sole purpose of notification during downtime though, what's the difference between advertising say, a sub-domain pointing towards a buddy system, than a social network account that the company manages on a daily basis? The latter is much simpler and doesn't associate (IMHO this is key why people don't collaborate) or require the help of another company.

Facebook page or twitter sounds good enough.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12