Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Post Counts to be Re-enabled

Post counts will be re-enabled asap. Hopefully today. I liked seeing them.

We are considering going back and allowing all posts to count toward a users total posts.

Also, new mods are being actively sought. Those with a posting history that is calm and level headed would be appreciated.

With all changes, I am sure that there is discontent even with these changes. However, I believe them to be the right thing to do.

Also, old design will be staying until we can re-vamp it to add back in the ads and make the hosting directory available from that template.

I welcome PMs from those that design/mod vbulletin templates.
    Robert Marsh
    Head Surfer

. <3 post counts and headsurfer . I can't wait for more mods to be selected, with a board this big two(?) active mods cant police the whole thing!

I think you have just made the day for many Robert.

Gary

Originally posted by Editor
    I think you have just made the day for many Robert.

Gary
    cheers to that

It's friday...let's have another
    one more won't hurt

It's 7:00am Saturday here...but what the heck, it's opening time somewhere in the world. :-)

G

Post counts are ok,it's nice too see them again, but they shouldnt count in the Longue & Advertising, that was a good decision (to remove post counts was a bad one)

Thanks, Headsurfer. That makes my day!!!

Originally posted by Angel78
    Post counts are ok,it's nice too see them again, but they shouldnt count in the Longue & Advertising, that was a good decision (to remove post counts was a bad one)
    Agreed but they should count in WEBSITE REVIEWS!!!
    "Genetically engineered food
    is corporate bioterrorism"

--- musings of a human guinea pig

Re: Post Counts to be Re-enabled

Originally posted by headsurfer

Yes, so did I. I found them useful in knowing how much someone contributed to this community.
    We are considering going back and allowing all posts to count toward a users total posts.

Maybe all forums except the Lounge and Ad_forums.
    Also, new mods are being actively sought. Those with a posting history that is calm and level headed would be appreciated.

Ahhhhh Foey. That rules me out.
    With all changes, I am sure that there is discontent even with these changes. However, I believe them to be the right thing to do.

These are good changes.
    Also, old design will be staying until we can re-vamp it to add back in the ads and make the hosting directory available from that template.

Good move.
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up

Smile

I prefer enable BB code for hosting request forum... because I can't quote messages... It makes harder to read

There's a definite lean towards discounting the ad forums. I'm not sure that posting or replying (constructively) to a serious web hosting request is contributing to the forum any less than posts in other sections. One in all in I say. There are *many* unconstructive posts in all sections.

G

Yeah i agree with YUPAPA, i think that the code should be enabled in the request forum.
    Why is it disabled?
    Was it taking up too many lines of code or something?
    Thanks for putting post count back
    John Diver
    CanaryHotspot.com - Canary Island forum and information
    InternationalChatForum.com - International Travel Chat Forum and information

Originally posted by Custom-Hosting
    Yeah i agree with YUPAPA, i think that the code should be enabled in the request forum.
    Why is it disabled?
    It was explained in this thread.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...hreadid=126546

Smile

If it was the font problem... why not just ban hosts that post messages with a large font?

Please don't enable post counts again in any of the advertising forums. I see people that constantly advertise in there now that have been registered since 2001 and they still have the title "Newbie" because that is the only place they post and they're obviously not here to contribute. If posts from those forums actually counted towards your total posts, I'm sure they'd have 10,000 posts from their cut and paste replies to every thread.

Having them not count shows who actually contributes to WHT.

I do agree that they should be enabled in the website reviews forum though.

Additionally, I see no reason why BB code should be added back to the advertising forums. I'm not naming any names, but I'm happy to see that hosts can't use red, blue, purple and whatever else just to attract attention to their posts. Additionally, there is no reason to actually quote messages in that forum. The potential client knows what they requested, there's no reason to remind them.

Either way, I'm glad that they are back using the current system of counting them. I wouldn't change a thing except allow review forum posts to count as well.

Thanks
    www.square-network.com www.squarenetwork.com
    Now available in regular and dehyphenated.
    May 2003 Member of the Month
    Useless Community Liason Ever Since.

Smile

Originally posted by Coach
    Additionally, there is no reason to actually quote messages in that forum. The potential client knows what they requested, there's no reason to remind them.
    No, I sometimes reply like this.

Originally posted by Coach
    Either way, I'm glad that they are back using the current system of counting them. I wouldn't change a thing except allow review forum posts to count as well.

Thanks

I don't copy and paste you see!
    I can give the user exact answer and dont have to worry if I forget to answer their questions.

Yeah, dont have them count in the advertising forum.

And also keep the code off in there aswell... its just annoying having to remember to uncheck "parse urls" (maybe a hack could do this automatically?).

One final thing, the advertising forums really needs mods to read every thread and stop so many hosts pasting in offers... and also do hosts really need to post in a massive post with bullet points showing everything they do? Would it not be better to just match what the request is (such as "We can offer 50MB and 1GB transfer"), obviously if there are other things that are different for the custom plan add them, but having a list of 10 hosts all saying the below just gets annoying:

:: PHP
    :: MySQL
    :: CGI
    :: Email
    :: FTP etc etc
    Thats really not needed and must make it a lot harder for someone to go through and check their request... and also just makes the page slower to load.
    Steve

One final thing, the adverising forums really needs mods to read every thread and stop so many hosts pasting in offers...]
    The forums also needs members to use the report links to report such things

Be prepared for a lot of reports soon then!

I have reported a few posts in the last few days but not as many as I could... maybe I'll be an unofficial mod patrolling the ad forums, nothing else to do at the moment
    Steve

Originally posted by YUPAPA
    I don't copy and paste you see!
    I can give the user exact answer and dont have to worry if I forget to answer their questions.
    Oh, believe me. I would never accuse you of copying and pasting. Every post you make is.... unique.

See, the thing is with me, I will use quotes like right now when I'm addressing a post in a thread that is by someone other than the original topic starter and there are a few posts between that post I'm replying to and the one I'm creating so that people know what I am referring to when I'm replying.

However, in the request forum there is only a need to repond to the original post. If I need to remember what the person asked, I simply scroll to the post and then reply accordingly on the rare occassion I do respond to a request. I make the reply personalized, don't add a bunch of fluff and show what we have to offer and any advantages we have that are related to the request. Something like that helped me sell a $30 plan today when the majority of the other hosts were offering packages for $5 or $10.

I think if the hosts (and I'm not saying you here at all) need to add the fluff and all the extras to their posts to help them sell a package, then there must not be too much to offer with them to begin with. I know it's good marketing, but the fact is that WHT wasn't made to be a huge source of income for hosts that could make the prettiest reponses. If WHT is going to have an advertising section, then the playing field should be level for all, not just who is best with ASCII art and such.

BTW... I think smileys should be disabled from that forum too. I've noticed hosts starting to use the " " smiley after each point and it annoys the daylights out of me seeing that.
    www.square-network.com www.squarenetwork.com
    Now available in regular and dehyphenated.
    May 2003 Member of the Month
    Useless Community Liason Ever Since.

I think if the hosts (and I'm not saying you here at all) need to add the fluff and all the extras to their posts to help them sell a package, then there must not be too much to offer with them to begin with.
    Ive just counted one post... it had 56 lines of un-needed stuff!

While it is annoying, do the mods agree and does it need reporting?
    Steve

welcome back postcount!
    "Let go, Let God"
    "He didn't lose his life on the cross, He gave it"
    "No matter which path you choose, you can only move forward"

HiHi

Yupapa you should be mod ;p

Thanks Robert... I am glad to see the post counts back, also. Probably more people than not relied on them to some extent, for their own personal reason.

As for actively seeking additional mods.... oo-rahh. I nominate SWR as one of those, though I don't think he would want it. I find he is ONE of the most level headed people at WHT.

Akash (and others) suggest using the Report this post to a Moderator, link. That's ok, and what should be done. With the amount of active mods on hand... poor ole akash won't be able to toast anyone, or offer a brewsky even.

Anywho... Thanks for the update. I know you ( the mods, and all the members) look forward to things progressing.

Sweet
    P4HOST.COM -- Specialize in quality Web Hosting solutions.
    Affordable -- Prices are very comparative
    Reliable -- Very low load average guaranteed. 60 day money back. Fast Support --Support Forum -- Providing hosting since 2003

So did I Definitely a good move Robert.

I believe posts in the ad forum and the lounge shouldn't be taken into account.

Ahh yes, the long awaited new mods are definitely needed.

I'm with you, but to consider my point about the user post counts.

Doesn't really affect me, but you made the day of many.
    Have you Floble'd today?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast