hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Other Forums : Web Hosting Lounge : Windows 2000 not shutting down

Forum Jump

Windows 2000 not shutting down

Reply Post New Thread In Web Hosting Lounge Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2001, 11:29 PM
WHT Addict

Windows 2000 not shutting down

For some odd reason I can not shut down, restart or log off of windows 2000. The only way is to pull the plug on it. Anyone else ever encounter this problem?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2001, 11:32 PM
Web Hosting Master

Never

Thats one problem i never have with MS..

Old 06-11-2001, 11:33 PM
Aspiring Evangelist

Yes, once with my old Athlon. Did you re-installed windows lately?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2001, 11:46 PM
WHT Addict

I just upgraded to win 2000 from 98. I did a clean install and everything was working fine until about an hour ago. I was trying to get my comps networked, they can see each other now but they still can`t read each others drives. It was right around that time when this started to happen, I just don`t see how anything I did caused this problem.

Old 06-12-2001, 12:14 AM
WHT Addict

Interesting, the damn thing will go into standby with no problems but none of the other options!

Old 06-12-2001, 12:50 AM
Retired Moderator

I've had that shutdown problem too. I just hit the switch on the back of my case. It got annoying so I put Win98SE back on.

Old 06-12-2001, 02:10 PM
Web Hosting Master

Oh boy..sorry about this SiperNet (I told him win2k was great and he should install it)

I've never had this problem! I guess it may be because of a un-supported hardare device.

Do a search on google for "windows 2000 doesn't shut down" it returned a few results for me although I couldn't find an answer.

Old 06-12-2001, 02:45 PM
Web Hosting Master

have you checked in the event viewer? thats normally the best place to start when something goes wrong on winnt/2k.

it may be a device driver that is not supported and it is having problems shutting down the device.

did it suddenly stop or has it never worked? and does it work on a completely fresh installation without anything even drivers installed? if so it would strongly suggest a driver problem.

try enetering the computer management panel and seeling if anything started that is for a devices and make sure you can close down all drivers for all the devices, if one fails then bingl you have the driver causing the problem, try disabling it and then reboot.
if that works, see if there is an update for the driver.

good luck, im sure you will find a solution, and if you are having problem with 2k shutting down then GOD HELP YOU with Windows 9x !!

Old 06-12-2001, 03:10 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

That is usually caused by the video adapter driver. Windows 2000 is a pain getting certain video adapter drivers to work correctly. Did you install the updated driver for WIN 2000 for your video adapter when you upgraded?

Old 06-12-2001, 03:24 PM
WHT Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by ID2000
That is usually caused by the video adapter driver. Windows 2000 is a pain getting certain video adapter drivers to work correctly. Did you install the updated driver for WIN 2000 for your video adapter when you upgraded?
I didn`t update the video driver after upgrading. Wouldn`t it have been giving me problems from the beginning instead of 2 days later? I will update it to see what happens. I will also look into other things that were mentioned.

I`ll post back with the results

Old 06-12-2001, 03:31 PM
Retired Moderator

my Win2k advanced server... 'sorta' shuts down... it just says "It is now safe to turn off your computer."

but then when i push the power button, it doens't turn off! so, i always have to hold the power button for 5seconds so that it cuts the power off temporarily.

but im using an Abit BE6 which has a HPT366 controller onboard the mobo... this has been causing alot of problems for Win2k

Old 06-12-2001, 04:04 PM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally posted by alpha
my Win2k advanced server... 'sorta' shuts down... it just says "It is now safe to turn off your computer."

but then when i push the power button, it doens't turn off! so, i always have to hold the power button for 5seconds so that it cuts the power off temporarily.

but im using an Abit BE6 which has a HPT366 controller onboard the mobo... this has been causing alot of problems for Win2k
It's probably supposed to be like that..so you don't hit the power button by mistake and loose your work. All my 4 computers are like that

Old 06-12-2001, 04:05 PM
Retired Moderator

I'm using a Abit BH6. I think it may be a problem with the MOBO itself. I've already upgraded to a SS bios which should take care of everything. Oh well, Win98SE for me it is.

Old 06-13-2001, 09:34 AM
WHT Addict

Ok, maybe this will narrow it down a little. I used my other profile to login and everything works fine!
I am able to restart and shutdown and log off, any ideas on why it won`t let me do these things using my other profile?

Old 06-13-2001, 09:51 AM
WHT Addict

Now I am really confused but happy. I logged back on to the profile that didn`t work before and now that one is working fine now also, what the hell!
Now I can focus on getting them networked.

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Canonical to Close Cloud Storage Service Ubuntu One Web Hosting News 2014-04-03 14:05:25
Microsoft Surpasses Amazon as Largest Windows Hosting Company: Netcraft Web Hosting News 2014-02-27 17:05:44
Posterous Shuts Down Today, Here Are Some Alternatives Blog 2013-04-30 17:26:02
Expired SSL Certificate Brings Down Windows Azure Cloud Web Hosting News 2013-02-25 10:38:00
Web Host OrcsWeb Offers Support for Windows Server 2012 Web Hosting News 2012-08-24 11:08:35