Question Looking for Hosting that supports vBulletin 5 Connect

Hello Everyone,

I made the mistake of buying new hosting from GoDaddy for one of my new forums as it will be running on vBulletin 5 Connect.

I failed to realize that vB5 needs MySQL 5.1.5 to run at very minimum. GoDaddy only supports MySQL 5.0 which lies my current issues with finishing the vB5 install hosted on GoDaddy.

Anyways, Now I'm looking to cancel my new hosting with GoDaddy as it's only been two weeks and go with another NEW host that supports vB5 and has growth.

I'm looking into shared hosting as I'm not very experienced to run a VPS. My other forum which is a couple years old is running on vB4.2 on GoDaddy Shared with 5K+ Members, 100-200+ Members online at any given time. Therefore gives me the reasoning that shared hosting should suffice for my new forums.

Here lies my question, Can anyone offer any suggestions and their experience with hosting companies that can support vB5? Also, if you currently have vB5 installed, can you share your experiences?

Also, I have been looking into MediaTemple for their hosting with (gs) Grid as they come recommended by a friend. Can anyone recommend them now? Seems like reviews on them have been dry here for the past couple of Months.

If anyone can recommend an alternative that would be great. I'm also looking to run WordPress, Shopping Cart of some sort as well if that makes a difference.

Regards

Most providers are using mysql 5.1 already and if you found a provider that suit you, make sure to ask them first if they are using 5.1.

Specially 4 U
    Reseller Hosting: Boost Your Websites | Fully Managed KVM VPS: 3.20 - 5.00 Ghz, Pure Dedicated Power
    JoneSolutions.Com is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions, server management and services since 2001
    Debian|Ubuntu|cPanel|DirectAdmin|Enhance|Webuzo|Acronis|Estela|BitNinja|Nginx

Quote Originally Posted by net View Post
    Most providers are using mysql 5.1 already and if you found a provider that suit you, make sure to ask them first if they are using 5.1.
    Yeah, I'm starting to realize that now and it's just GoDaddy super behind in the game ...

Looking for Hosting that supports vBulletin 5 Connect

Try a provider such as site5 or liquid web. Good luck
    Planet Hippo Internet - Explore the wwworld with us.....
    Web Hosting | cPanel Shared hosting with nightly back ups & Softaculous | Budget VPS, Managed VPS and Dedicated Servers.
    Reseller Hosting | 99.9% Uptime Guarantee | 24/7 Support | 30 Day Money Back Guarantee.

Quote Originally Posted by Planethippo_Darren View Post
    Try a provider such as site5 or liquid web. Good luck
    Seems like LiquidWeb comes highly recommended here. I will look into them more, thanks.

I'm assuming the 'Webmaster' or 'Professional' Packages from the Web Hosting area from LiquidWeb would be comparable to MediaTemple's Grid (dv)?

Regards

Re: Looking for Hosting that supports vBulletin 5 Connect

The biggest problem with vb5 is it is a lot slower than vb4. You need a lot more power to handle it. Don't go with Site5 just for the reason vb5 will hit their resources limits in no time since it uses mysql so much.

I would wouldn't get mt gs either its kind of slow. If anything get a dv from them. It runs plesk for management and updating.

Liquid web as well
    WordPress Hosting
    Shared / White Label Reseller WHM | SSD Cloud | CloudLinux

www.LarisMedia.com Wordpress & Magento Website Design

Quote Originally Posted by larishosting View Post
    The biggest problem with vb5 is it is a lot slower than vb4. You need a lot more power to handle it. Don't go with Site5 just for the reason vb5 will hit their resources limits in no time since it uses mysql so much.

I would wouldn't get mt gs either its kind of slow. If anything get a dv from them. It runs plesk for management and updating.

Liquid web as well
    Thanks for the tip, Is there a package from LiquidWeb that you would suggest for my basic needs?

I have thought about MediaTemple's (dv) Hosting, but for $50, and my rather novice skill set, I decided against. Is there anything different I should go for/look into now and should I consider (dv) again for vB5 and shell out the $50 (I'm unfamiliar with what I need hosting wise and the costs)?

I do understand vB5 runs slow at the moment. Hoping that will change as the software gets more stable. I do love the new features and the simplicity & updated feel.

Quote Originally Posted by W124 View Post
    Thanks for the tip, Is there a package from LiquidWeb that you would suggest for my basic needs?

I have thought about MediaTemple's (dv) Hosting, but for $50, and my rather novice skill set, I decided against. Is there anything different I should go for/look into now and should I consider (dv) again for vB5 and shell out the $50 (I'm unfamiliar with what I need hosting wise and the costs)?

I do understand vB5 runs slow at the moment. Hoping that will change as the software gets more stable. I do love the new features and the simplicity & updated feel.
    Yeah I like the new features too. It runs good on my dedicated server but I also don't have any users on it right now.

On their site it says

It is recommended to use PHP 5.4, or later and MySQL 5.5 or later.

If I were you I would make sure who you pick has both of those. Php 5.4 is about 20% faster than 5.3 and mysql 5.5 is faster too. Some share host don't install the latest updates.
    WordPress Hosting

Yeah I like the new features too. It runs good on my dedicated server but I also don't have any users on it right now.

On their site it says

It is recommended to use PHP 5.4, or later and MySQL 5.5 or later.

If I were you I would make sure who you pick has both of those. Php 5.4 is about 20% faster than 5.3 and mysql 5.5 is faster too. Some share host don't install the latest updates.
    How have you liked vB5 overall? Are the installation, updates, etc really that much easier/better?

& thanks for the help thus far.

In regards to MediaTemple, I might just try them since 1) My personal friend has had good experiences 2) they are local, but during my testing phases, while also understanding that might run slower than it potential should I just drive the MT (gv)? then after a Month, if really needed, upgrade to (dv)?

BTW, I am really digging the 'Random Question' answer requirement for each new post. lol

How have you liked vB5 overall? Are the installation, updates, etc really that much easier/better?

& thanks for the help thus far.

In regards to MediaTemple, I might just try them since 1) My personal friend has had good experiences 2) they are local, but during my testing phases, while also understanding that might run slower than it potential should I just drive the MT (gv)? then after a Month, if really needed, upgrade to (dv)?

BTW, I am really digging the 'Random Question' answer requirement for each new post. lol
    I like the backend the most, but the frontend editor is really nice too.

Updates are the same. They don't have an auto update yet you still have to ftp the newer files.

MT is a good company I've used them for a year but I noticed they have been slowing down. Sites that used to be super fast now take a second or two more. That's when I started moving clients away. Since then I bought my own dedicated server and vps servers.

With their gs they do have something called mysql container which gives mysql more memory. How their grid works is your website files are on one server grid and mysql is on another grid server. Just a fair warning... If you do decided to test the container backup your database. I almost lost several sites the two times I tested the container. Moving to it was fine but when they removed me from it the database didn't follow correctly or at all.
    WordPress Hosting

Hello Everyone,

I made the mistake of buying new hosting from GoDaddy for one of my new forums as it will be running on vBulletin 5 Connect.

I failed to realize that vB5 needs MySQL 5.1.5 to run at very minimum. GoDaddy only supports MySQL 5.0 which lies my current issues with finishing the vB5 install hosted on GoDaddy.

Anyways, Now I'm looking to cancel my new hosting with GoDaddy as it's only been two weeks and go with another NEW host that supports vB5 and has growth.

I'm looking into shared hosting as I'm not very experienced to run a VPS. My other forum which is a couple years old is running on vB4.2 on GoDaddy Shared with 5K+ Members, 100-200+ Members online at any given time. Therefore gives me the reasoning that shared hosting should suffice for my new forums.

Here lies my question, Can anyone offer any suggestions and their experience with hosting companies that can support vB5? Also, if you currently have vB5 installed, can you share your experiences?

Also, I have been looking into MediaTemple for their hosting with (gs) Grid as they come recommended by a friend. Can anyone recommend them now? Seems like reviews on them have been dry here for the past couple of Months.

If anyone can recommend an alternative that would be great. I'm also looking to run WordPress, Shopping Cart of some sort as well if that makes a difference.

Regards
    Yeah, my clients and I prefer not to choose Godaddy as a hosting provider as they are more a domain registrar than a hosting provider.

Godaddy is great for domain registration, there is no doubt, but definitely not for hosting services.

That isn't true.

If the visits/pageviews are high enough it could use enough resources to need a VPS but that is very rare. What are the daily page views and we would be happy to advise?

WordPress, Joomla, and PHPBB all use MySQL, that isn't a problem in the last. It might use more Resource Points per page load then those, but it would take thousands of page views to go over the limit of the Turbo plan.

Thanks, Ben
    Like passive recurring revenue you can retire on?
    You focus on building your brand, we handle all support, billing, and more.
    Pressed.net - Start your own Managed WordPress Hosting Company

thank you for all the help thus far everyone.

I've been doing some more research in (mt) MediaTemple and they can only provide MySQL 5.1.66.

After hearing that, I looked into LiquidWeb a little bit more and found their representative more helpful. Also, with their Shared Hosting, the 'Professional Plan' I can get MySQL 5.5.66 and a dedicated IP address.

What is everyones thoughts regarding LiquidWeb?

All in All, I'd like vB5 to run the best it can.

I'd like a safe and sound hosting for in case my site does grow.

I heard a lot about LiquidWeb, but never cooperated with them. As far as I know, this is a well-known company.

According to the reviews on forums, Hostgator hosting is recommended as a good choice for vB5, try to check it yourself.

Besides, server location and target location of your audience should be close so that the speed connectivity would be fast and efficient.

Most hosting companies provide the server your looking for just a matter of selecting the plan that is better you should not look to the low end plans as they will not be feasible for your operation try a high end business plan to get the resources you need.

thank you for all the help thus far everyone.

I've been doing some more research in (mt) MediaTemple and they can only provide MySQL 5.1.66.

After hearing that, I looked into LiquidWeb a little bit more and found their representative more helpful. Also, with their Shared Hosting, the 'Professional Plan' I can get MySQL 5.5.66 and a dedicated IP address.

What is everyones thoughts regarding LiquidWeb?

All in All, I'd like vB5 to run the best it can.

Hey there! Thanks for considering (mt) Media Temple.

I just wanted to clarify one thing on this point. This is true for the (gs) Grid-Service, but for our (dv) Dedicated-Virtual Server and (ve) Server we offer 5.5.30.

- Drew J