hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Web Hosting : Web hosting for wordpress

Forum Jump

Web hosting for wordpress

Reply Post New Thread In Web Hosting Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-29-2013, 05:09 AM

Web hosting for wordpress

I know this question has been asked a number of times since just reading through the pages, I see this question but, I am looking for a webhosting company for my blog. I haven't started it yet, but will be using wordpress and is my first blog. A couple hosts I've looked at is hawkhost, stablehost, and a small orange.
I found the first two after reading some of the comments on here but was wondering what the difference was between hawkhost/stablehost and a small orange. I read that a small orange offers 1 click install for wordpress but dont see it on the other two. I am pretty new to the whole blog thing and will be a fashion blog. I would love for it to grow but just dont know how many visits I am actually going to get. I dont think i need much space, since it will be mostly pictures and text.
I also dont want to spend more than 10 dollars a month, but the lower the better. All 3 companies offer 4-5 dollar a month plan and seems to be enough for now.
If you have any other suggestions, that would also be wonderful. Note I am also a beginner to all this, so the simpler to set up would also be helpful

Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2013, 05:43 AM
Litespeed + True SSDs Hosting

All three providers are good in support and services . However ,you only have to choose best one out of three based on your requirement .I would suggest to try one of them for a month and experience the same .

How much space you are going to use ? Any preferred location ?

Best of Luck

█ Shared | Business | Reseller : 1.Litespeed 2.Cpanel 3.100% SSDs 4.US/UK 5.Daily Backups
Fully Managed Dedicated Servers | 1Gbps | Premium Bandwidth | On Demand Plans

Old 04-29-2013, 05:49 AM
Corporate Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowboardpunk View Post
I read that a small orange offers 1 click install for wordpress but dont see it on the other two.
They do seem to offer auto installers, so you should be able to install Wordpress within a few clicks.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2013, 05:51 AM
Litespeed + True SSDs Hosting

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrocWeb View Post
They do seem to offer auto installers, so you should be able to install Wordpress within a few clicks.
If softaculous features/plugin is enabled in server , you can install wordpress easily with 1 click .

█ Shared | Business | Reseller : 1.Litespeed 2.Cpanel 3.100% SSDs 4.US/UK 5.Daily Backups
Fully Managed Dedicated Servers | 1Gbps | Premium Bandwidth | On Demand Plans

Old 04-29-2013, 08:23 AM
Disabled

If you narrow it down to three companies you just have to buy now as it would not be beneficial to keep adding companies to the list of choices, it would mean you have to choose from 5-10 companies, which makes the process harder, just click the buy button and start blogging

Old 04-29-2013, 09:47 AM
Junior Guru

Did you look at the hosted wordpress options.
https://page.ly

SSL Certificates @ RunSSL

SSL Certificate Wiki - Needs your help.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:12 AM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowboardpunk View Post
I know this question has been asked a number of times since just reading through the pages, I see this question but, I am looking for a webhosting company for my blog. I haven't started it yet, but will be using wordpress and is my first blog. A couple hosts I've looked at is hawkhost, stablehost, and a small orange.
I only have experience with customers using Hawkhost and Stablehost, and they are both very good hosting companies. I've heard the same about A Small Orange. I think you are on the right track choosing either one of these three.

Hawkhost and Stablehost both offer Softaculous, a program that allows you to install Wordpress from within your control panel. It is often referred to as "one click install" but it takes a few clicks. So they are no different than A Small Orange in this respect.

The lowest priced plans at both require you to buy more than a month at a time. Hawkhost starts at a 3 month term at $3.95, and Stablehost requires 6 months at $3.95. I never recommend someone buy a full year at a new host as sometimes things don't work out. Because of the longer required term at Stablehost, all other things being equal, I would go with Hawkhost.

Never pay more for hosting than you are willing to lose. Even with the best hosts, sometimes there are issues you can't resolve, business practices you can't endure, and personality conflicts you can't avoid.

If A Small Orange has a comparably priced plan for about the same price with month-to-month billing, go that way. I only know them by reputation here, but it seems they are a solid company too.

Old 04-29-2013, 11:02 AM
Actively learning French

Just about any host these days would be able to allow you to host your wordpress blog without any issues especially since you are now starting the blog so it would not have generated any major content and or visitors as yet. The important thing here is that you keep scalabilty in mind when selecting your host because you do not want to have to uproot your entire installation just because you cannot upgrade easily. As of always, ALWAYS KEEP A BACKUP of your files and database. Do not take it for granted that is the host's responsibility. Many things can go wrong quickly and you need to safeguard yourself and your blog so in the event anything happens, you would be able to respond even quicker with your backups in place

Old 04-29-2013, 11:14 AM
Web Host Reviewer

Stablehost = excellent
Hawkhost = pretty good
A Small Orange = EIG owned now, and I'd avoid all EIG brands

The reputation should be reset since it was bought out. The old one no longer applies.
A new one must be re-earned.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:20 PM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post
_____ = EIG owned now, and I'd avoid all EIG brands
If this was in your signature block, your post count would be less than 100.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:21 PM
Actively learning French

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJoker View Post
lol...he should add it then

Old 04-29-2013, 12:28 PM
We do WordPress!

If you're not so tech savvy (new to blogging) and/or don't want to mess with the tech stuff, you might want to look at a managed wordpress host. There are quite a few to choose from and the benefits are that you can work on your design/content while all the technical stuff including upgrades and troubleshooting is handled by the host.

If you go with a DIY (do-it-yourself) host, you're responsible for all the tech stuff in regards to WordPress as most hosts don't actively support 3rd-party scripts. Most will make a good-faith effort, but they may not be WP experts.

Find out what SERVICE really means!--We're hostingDifferent.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:48 PM
Web Hosting Guru

I think you'll find that most hosts offer a 1-click WordPress install. What you're going to really want to look at is what else is included in the hosting plan. Do they offer free backups, malware protection, free priority support? Watch out for those last second upsells in their shopping carts!

-Pay Only For The Resources You Need - High-Performance SwiftServers - SSDs With Page Loads Up To 300% Faster Than Standard Hosting! - 99.9% Uptime Guarantee - A2 QuickInstaller - Choose Your Linux OS - Instant Activation - Risk-Free Money Back Guarantee - Choose Your Hosting Location

Old 04-29-2013, 01:49 PM
Web Host Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJoker View Post
Sadly, EIG has 50+ brands.
The signature isn't that long!

Old 04-29-2013, 05:10 PM
Dependable Web Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by hD-Scott View Post
If you're not so tech savvy (new to blogging) and/or don't want to mess with the tech stuff, you might want to look at a managed wordpress host. There are quite a few to choose from and the benefits are that you can work on your design/content while all the technical stuff including upgrades and troubleshooting is handled by the host.

If you go with a DIY (do-it-yourself) host, you're responsible for all the tech stuff in regards to WordPress as most hosts don't actively support 3rd-party scripts. Most will make a good-faith effort, but they may not be WP experts.
I think there can be a great deal of value in these types of services (depending on the situation), however not for under $10.00 per month. There is simply too much to cover (unless you are talking about reactive management, which in my opinion is not worth the extra money in most situations).

In my opinion, proper WP management would require a full security audit of the theme/plugins being used, making sure all of the basic WP components are hardened and a good amount of coaching would also need to be included (to better educate the user on best WP security practices). I just cant imagine the OP finding a solid (proactive) WP management solution for under $10/monthly.

So I think in this situation, a solid web host that can provide a stable platform (so at least security at the server level is taken care of) + google and http://codex.wordpress.org/ becoming his/her best friend, will suffice.

@ OP, definitely do your DD on best WP security practices and once you get your web hosting set-up, come back and post a thread about recommendations for securing your WP install, I can almost guarantee you will get a ton of (free) positive feed-back.

Click Here to Learn More About Our Services!- Check Out Our Youtube Channel