Thumbs down Why always like this?

Posts in Hosting / VPS Advertising Forums are always no locations and no test IP indicated.
    Why always like this?
    technological?privacy?unnecessary?lazy?or what...?
    That's easy to view if add code e,g.[US][UK] to title!

You can leave comment in post and request details that you missing. No problem here.

asume that servers are in US when there is no location mentioned. most people is not that picky to want exact city location.

Yes,I know both of yours.
    But I just suggest.
    It is easy and neat by adding [US][UK][NL] to title,don't have to contact any un-interested.

Re: Why always like this?

You can find out from their website.

Chicago - 206.217.137.46
    Zlin - 50.7.228.83

I thought it is always the opposite - hosting companies are dying to put their speedtest files and test IP addresses when it comes to selling VPS and Dedicated servers.
    QHoster.com - Web Hosting with DDoS Protection | Shared & Reseller in Europe/North America
    Linux/Windows RDP VPS 13 Locations : UK, US (5 states), Mexico, Canada, Bulgaria, Lithuania,
    Italy, France, Germany,Netherlands, Switzerland, Rissia, Singapore | OpenVPN/PPTP Enabled
    INSTANT | PayPal, Skrill, Payza, Bitcoin, WebMoney, Perfect Money, Ukash, CashU, paysafecard

Some hosts do it and some don't its just a preference. But I am 100% sure that if you reply to that thread and ask them those questions they will answer back maybe fast or maybe not..

If you don't see a location then assume its located in the United States unless it says OFFSHORE.. Usually onshore is for US and offshore is for non-us territory land.

Quote Originally Posted by LuxuryServers View Post
    Some hosts do it and some don't its just a preference. But I am 100% sure that if you reply to that thread and ask them those questions they will answer back maybe fast or maybe not..

If you don't see a location then assume its located in the United States unless it says OFFSHORE.. Usually onshore is for US and offshore is for non-us territory land.
    I hate that analogy with a passion. A good example of the hypocrisy of it would be: Seychelles, an 'offshore' place, is not offshore to itself.

Assuming onshore is the US is a silly idea, as much as assuming offshore is for example, NL

Quote Originally Posted by Flapadar View Post
    I hate that analogy with a passion. A good example of the hypocrisy of it would be: Seychelles, an 'offshore' place, is not offshore to itself.

Assuming onshore is the US is a silly idea, as much as assuming offshore is for example, NL
    It's different. Offshore in hosting is 99% hosting that'll allow you to run nulled scripts, warez blog, etc. Of course, the server location isn't offshore to itself, but it's 'offshore hosting'.
    miscis.com - Providing domains and premium hosting solutions at an affordable price
    cPanel+Softaculous | 99.9% Uptime SLA | CloudLinux | Daily Backups
    █ Accepting PayPal, Credit/Debit Cards, Liberty Reserve
    Currently in Netherlands, EU & Arizona, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Miscis View Post
    It's different. Offshore in hosting is 99% hosting that'll allow you to run nulled scripts, warez blog, etc. Of course, the server location isn't offshore to itself, but it's 'offshore hosting'.
    I'm aware that offshore tends to mean 'bulletproof' - which also doesn't rule out the US.

I'm just a little fed up of people assuming not being US makes a server offshore, vice versa.

Quote Originally Posted by Flapadar View Post
    I'm aware that offshore tends to mean 'bulletproof' - which also doesn't rule out the US.

I'm just a little fed up of people assuming not being US makes a server offshore, vice versa.
    Offshore hosting is not bulletproof hosting
    Try running a zeus c&c or a carding site from offshore hosting (usually leaseweb or w/e) and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by hipboy View Post
    Posts in Hosting / VPS Advertising Forums are always no locations and no test IP indicated.
    Why always like this?
    First of all, hipboy, can I just say THANK YOU for starting this thread. You've brought up a point that's bugged me ever since I found WHT (and I was reading it long before I joined and started posting).

On an almost daily basis (sometimes multiple times the same day) I need a VPS or server in a particular location, or on a particular network/AS, or in a particular datacenter.

I cannot even start to tell you how many times per day I go to the "Advanced Search" feature on WHT looking for something specific, and come up with nothing. I end up on Google and end up finding and buying what I need from there when, by rights, WHT should have been the defacto search engine, and failed.

This is NOT a fault of WHT - It's a fault of the advertisers.

For God's sake providers, please rethink the wording of your ads - We all don't need to just know about Solus/OpenVZ, SAS arrays and SSDs, supersonic support, and all the other "yada yada yada" you post.

Some of us want to know where the VPS/server is, what AS it's on, a test IP to trace to it, and a bit of information about the datacenter it's in and what networks it connects to.

On any sunny day I'm running anything between 80 and 250 VPSs just for analytical purposes - Low bandwidth, no risk, the type of customer you'd LOVE to have. Do you really want to ignore that market segment and risk it to Google for me to find you, just because you can't be arse'd to post some location/network specific information that can be searched for on WHT?
    Last edited by Postbox; 04-12-2013 at 09:39 PM.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by F-DNS View Post
    First of all, hipboy, can I just say THANK YOU for starting this thread. You've brought up a point that's bugged me ever since I found WHT (and I was reading it long before I joined and started posting).

On an almost daily basis (sometimes multiple times the same day) I need a VPS or server in a particular location, or on a particular network/AS, or in a particular datacenter.

I cannot even start to tell you how many times per day I go to the "Advanced Search" feature on WHT looking for something specific, and come up with nothing. I end up on Google and end up finding and buying what I need from there when, by rights, WHT should have been the defacto search engine, and failed.

This is NOT a fault of WHT - It's a fault of the advertisers.

For God's sake providers, please rethink the wording of your ads - We all don't need to just know about Solus/OpenVZ, SAS arrays and SSDs, supersonic support, and all the other "yada yada yada" you post.

Some of us want to know where the VPS/server is, what AS it's on, a test IP to trace to it, and a bit of information about the datacenter it's in and what networks it connects to.

On any sunny day I'm running anything between 80 and 250 VPSs just for analytical purposes - Low bandwidth, no risk, the type of customer you'd LOVE to have. Do you really want to ignore that market segment and risk it to Google for me to find you, just because you can't be arse'd to post some location/network specific information that can be searched for on WHT?
    What a encouraging words!
    To my heart even I have poor english of my non-mother tongue.
    What the friends replies are correct,but master was hit the nail on the head.

Many advertiser waste their chances,in the time,waste our time who want accurate information,even,waste WHT's precious resource.

I don't mean refuse to communicate each other,but I prefer to exchange the special message on different companies I interested without asking common info repeatedly.

Quote Originally Posted by hipboy View Post
    Why always like this?
    Yes, agree with you. Where is the problem by the advertisers to put a few characters more into their offers?

Thanks for bringing this up.

We definitely have the exact location of the data centre and city on our website (a whole page dedicated to it), but did not think of including it on the Advertising posts since people on WHT are very international and it may not be as relevant. Clearly that could be incorrect since you have brought this up!
    VostroCloud - Unified Cloud Data Centre
    █ Rock solid, Australian based, build on VMware
    █ Redundant enterprise grade infrastructure and intelligent HA

Quote Originally Posted by VostroCloud View Post
    We definitely have the exact location of the data centre and city on our website (a whole page dedicated to it), but did not think of including it on the Advertising posts since people on WHT are very international and it may not be as relevant. Clearly that could be incorrect since you have brought this up!
    I hope you don't mind me using you as an example, especially as you appear to have already taken the point of this thread on board?

I need a VPS in Sydney. I hit the "Advanced Search" link at the top of WHT and type in sydney and highlight the VPS offers section. It doesn't find you.

I do the same search, but on VPS and Cloud advertising sections, and up you pop.

No datacenter/IP/AS information in your advert.

If I have time (and sometimes I don't) I'll click and go to your website. I find the DC page, see that you're in Equinix, but no AS information, test IP etc. I don't know which AS you're on, what network mix you're using, etc.

And if I guess that your website is hosted on the same network and run a tracert to it I'm wasting my time because it's behind CloudFlare.

I'm not suggesting for a second that you're doing anything wrong - It's just that I need more information before I purchase, I don't always have time to wait around for an email to a sales department to be responded to, and I'm guessing that I'm not the only buyer on WHT who feels disappointed by the lack of information sometimes.

I hope you don't mind me using you as an example, especially as you appear to have already taken the point of this thread on board?

I need a VPS in Sydney. I hit the "Advanced Search" link at the top of WHT and type in sydney and highlight the VPS offers section. It doesn't find you.

I do the same search, but on VPS and Cloud advertising sections, and up you pop.

If I have time (and sometimes I don't) I'll click and go to your website. I find the DC page, see that you're in Equinix, but no AS information, test IP etc. I don't know which AS you're on, what network mix you're using, etc.

And if I guess that your website is hosted on the same network and run a tracert to it I'm wasting my time because it's behind CloudFlare.

I'm not suggesting for a second that you're doing anything wrong - It's just that I need more information before I purchase, I don't always have time to wait around for an email to a sales department to be responded to, and I'm guessing that I'm not the only buyer on WHT who feels disappointed by the lack of information sometimes.

Exactly,time used with no result!

Waiting waiting waiting..

That is so tired,so depressed,and...

Actually question to any provider,do you want more people know you or want keep your privacy you regard as?

Thanks for the feedback F-DNS, point taken.

Of course happy to provide all this information, I just didn't consider it being a priority for customers - if you are in Australia for example, then whether our infrastructure is in Sydney or Brisbane or Canberra it won't make much of a difference to be honest unless you are planning to run SIP or direct SMB file access, or something like that. If you are overseas, well you roughly know what to expect from servers in Australia in terms of latency so whether it is 200ms or 240ms it won't make a huge difference to you.

When we target local clients, I tend to include information such as city or data centre location since it may be relevant to them, again if you are overseas there are chances you will be looking for things like features, stability and functionality from a provider on a different continent, knowing you won't get the best latency whatever ISP they are using.

VostroCloud may not be the best example on WHT since we are one of the only/few Australian providers here. However if you are in the US I can understand you may want to quickly find the closest hosting provider since there is a hundred of them on WHT

To answer your questions about where we are - yes the website is behind CloudFlare and no it is not even hosted on our servers since we started building it before the platform went live and have not moved it since. We are on Equinix Peering - multi-homed uplink, provided to us in Equinix SY3 by ServersAustralia. We will get those download files set up shortly as well and added to future adverts
    VostroCloud - Unified Cloud Data Centre
    █ Rock solid, Australian based, build on VMware
    █ Redundant enterprise grade infrastructure and intelligent HA

Thanks for the feedback F-DNS, point taken.

Of course happy to provide all this information, I just didn't consider it being a priority for customers - if you are in Australia for example, then whether our infrastructure is in Sydney or Brisbane or Canberra it won't make much of a difference to be honest unless you are planning to run SIP or direct SMB file access, or something like that. If you are overseas, well you roughly know what to expect from servers in Australia in terms of latency so whether it is 200ms or 240ms it won't make a huge difference to you.

When we target local clients, I tend to include information such as city or data centre location since it may be relevant to them, again if you are overseas there are chances you will be looking for things like features, stability and functionality from a provider on a different continent, knowing you won't get the best latency whatever ISP they are using.

VostroCloud may not be the best example on WHT since we are one of the only/few Australian providers here. However if you are in the US I can understand you may want to quickly find the closest hosting provider since there is a hundred of them on WHT

To answer your questions about where we are - yes the website is behind CloudFlare and no it is not even hosted on our servers since we started building it before the platform went live and have not moved it since. We are on Equinix Peering - multi-homed uplink, provided to us in Equinix SY3 by ServersAustralia. We will get those download files set up shortly as well and added to future adverts
    Of course not too much detail need,I just suggest to add the [Conuntry short form]to title then it can be browsed intuitively.

We will get those download files set up shortly as well and added to future adverts
    Thanks for the detailed reply.

Can I explain a bit more about what I'm always looking for? Unlike many I'm really not too bothered about your connection(s) across the Pacific. Whether you go straight to Los Angeles or Seattle, or go some wacky route via Singapore or Japan, would have very little influence on my decision to purchase.

You can tell from my username what my main interest is So my interest is in more "local" connects/peering/eyeballs or whatever else you want to call them. I'm looking for how you connect from Sydney to Melbourne, Brisbane, Canberra, Perth and Cairns (and the rest of Australia too, of course).

So I always need an IP or AS number to be able to research. If I can't find that quickly I move on to another provider to research, and you just lost that sale

Quick example: If I was researching Chicago I'd be looking at the differences between this and this (and others of course). If I can't get that data on you (quickly, like in your ads on WHT) then you're never gonna make it onto my shopping list

I don't want folks to think that I'm picking on you specifically, so can I just make it clear to anyone reading this that I only used you as an example because you posted in the thread and I took a quick looksee - The same applies to hundreds of ads on WHT that don't provide this information.