VPS hosting directions

Hello,

I'm new in the VPS world and the experience is becoming horrible.

In the past i had a shared hosting re-seller account and started to have lots of mysql outages and very slow latency times in my websites.

So i decided it was time to move to a VPS, mainly because of one website with +150GB traffic.

I choose one of the best reviewed services and right after 5 days of happiness, the VPS went down 4 times in the following 5 days. Each time of 30 mins without connectivity

It's time to move again....

Do you think that with +200GB traffic / month, 6.000 visitors a day, a 512MB ram VPS is ok? Should i go for a dedicated server?

Which companies do you recommend? I'm concerned about speed, but downtimes for me is a no no

Are you using a control panel?
    Is the VPS managed?
    You might need more RAM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJoker View Post
    Are you using a control panel?
    Is the VPS managed?
    You might need more RAM.
    Yes i'm using whm/cpanel and it is a managed VPS.

I've been checking the resources in the VPS and the server load is not that high.
    The VPS is running on a 32 CPUs server and the server load in "rush hour" is around 0.8 to 1.3.

I was told by the hosting company that it's another customer in the same node that is causing the outages, but 4 times in 5 days without a definitive solution is way too much for me.

Welcome to WHT Nitrate

Going from shared hosting to dedicated server is big loop in scaling. I would suggest to stay with vps unless you are expecting rapid traffic growth in the near future.

512 MB wouldn't do. If you have the budget, go with 2-4 GB VPS with reliable provider with proven track record. Best of luck in your search!
    -

Most cheap or discounted services fail sooner or later.

Take a look at Hudson Valley Host... I recently opened a VPS account with them. They have been extremely helpful in getting me setup and running smoothly (and they did this for me on my UNMANAGED account).

Their live chat is usually always online... I think it would be benificial to at least have a chat with their sales team.

Maybe, try SupremeBytes.com, they are very helpful and are often online on live chat and have good pricing.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitrate View Post
    I was told by the hosting company that it's another customer in the same node that is causing the outages, but 4 times in 5 days without a definitive solution is way too much for me.
    Are you still having issues with them? It's odd for a host company to tell you that another user on the node is causing issues and not deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by 48-14 View Post
    Are you still having issues with them? It's odd for a host company to tell you that another user on the node is causing issues and not deal with it.
    Yes and the last time the VPS went down, after 25 minutes waiting i decided to talk to tech support and turns out they didn't realize that the server was having problems

At least they're honest. Got to give them credit for that

Yes and the last time the VPS went down, after 25 minutes waiting i decided to talk to tech support and turns out they didn't realize that the server was having problems

At least they're honest. Got to give them credit for that
    Ah brutal honesty.

If you are ready to move, 3 options;

1. Managed - WiredTree, BigBrain
    2. UnManaged - RamNode, Urpad
    3. Look through the vps offers section and search through reviews.

I will say a possible a 4th viewpoint....sometimes even the most recommend host has a bad moment. Either from growing pains or an unexpected hardware/network issue. It's happens. Just make sure you have backups at every step of the way.
    Last edited by WPCYCLE; 03-22-2013 at 02:35 PM.

Thanks 48-14!

Nitrate - did they confirm it was a problem with the hardware node and not just your VPS?
    RamNode - High Performance Cloud VPS
    SSD Cloud and Shared Hosting
    NYC - LA - ATL - SEA - NL - DDoS Protection - AS3842
    Deploy on our SSD cloud today! - www.ramnode.com

Quote Originally Posted by Nick A View Post
    Thanks 48-14!

Nitrate - did they confirm it was a problem with the hardware node and not just your VPS?
    Yes, they confirmed the problem was in the node and they suspect that it was an account using too many resources. They didn't give any further details

Quote Originally Posted by Omiar View Post
    Most cheap or discounted services fail sooner or later.
    ALL hosts go down sooner or later.

What I've learned about VPS hosts is that you can't judge a VPS host by its price tag. There are terrific budget VPS hosts, and there are terrible premium-priced VPS hosts.

Don't pay a high price for a VPS account then rest comfortably on the belief that you just bought your way out of any troubles. It doesn't work that way.

Yes, they confirmed the problem was in the node and they suspect that it was an account using too many resources. They didn't give any further details
    Get onto an XEN or KVM VPS so you cant be as easily effected by other VPS users on the node as it sounds like you are on OpenVZ or something right now.
    SolaDrive - Enterprise Managed Server Solutions
    Specializing in Managed NVMe VPS & Dedicated Servers in US & UK
    Visit us at SolaDrive.com

15. Have you tried rebooting your vps yourself? If you wait for the hosting provider to correct the problem you'll be waiting a long time. My hosts once took my vps down to make some changes and didnt even check to make sure it got back up and running again. I've never waited on them since.

The problem is not KVM vs Xen vs Openvz. The problem is port speed. That is where the packet loss is coming from because the port is maxed.

If the VPS is actually going down (your uptime is being reset) then that is a different issue of course. But if uptime is staying the same and VPS is going in and out, its packet loss.

You will find a good VPS, good luck.
    VPSLounge | Affordable, High-Performance, Instant VPS's! | Expert Support
    Plenty of Bandwidth | Managed Services | SolusVM | 99.9% Uptime SLA

http://vpslounge.com

Virtualization and Cloud hosting are the future, dedicated servers do not have the more easy to use options as Virtualization does and also virtualized means alot cheaper licesning priices with most panels etc
    VPS offers easy backups and restores and cloud environement makes it near impossible to ever lose your data if its properly setup.
    If you want the most stable non-cloud solution I would be looking at VMWare vps and not Xen or KVM, or Virtuozzo container virtual hosting both much more stable and reliable then any of the ones hosts can setup for free or near free. Quality doesnt tend to go hand in hand with the word cheap.