Thread: New - Need help

New - Need help

Any help? Ive got my own domain and im here wondering if there are any hosting/building packages i can get for free and still use my domain. Is this even possible?

I dont want to sign up with something like wix because i've got the domain already.

I dont have too much knowledge about coding at all.. So are there any suggestions?

All i want to do is put a little info page and a few hyperlinks going to various other pages of interest etc.

At the moment when the domain is searched some other search engine pops up.. So i want to change this to something relevant to my site and the future prospects of it

Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by agroves View Post
    Any help? Ive got my own domain and im here wondering if there are any hosting/building packages i can get for free and still use my domain. Is this even possible?

I dont want to sign up with something like wix because i've got the domain already.

I dont have too much knowledge about coding at all.. So are there any suggestions?

All i want to do is put a little info page and a few hyperlinks going to various other pages of interest etc.

At the moment when the domain is searched some other search engine pops up.. So i want to change this to something relevant to my site and the future prospects of it

Thanks in advance!
    Who did you buy the domain from?

Many of the domain registration providers may include page hosting.

However , I would suggest creating a free account at:

sites.google.com

Find out what the name servers you need to point to and point your domain to your new free site on google. (AKA Google pages)

Enjoy...

Dave
    LiquidLayer.net ● Liquid Layer Networks ● Linux ZFS, SSD, VPN, Varnish, Shared, VPS, Dedicated
    Community.HostCheetah.com ● Tech and Host News, Views, Tips, Tricks, HowTo ●
    Global Hosting Locations : | USA | UK | AU | BU | NL | liquidlayer.net/video-overviews

You can certainly host a simple page for free or very little money.

For discussion about free hosting, visit this site:
    http://www.freewebhostingtalk.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ParagonHost View Post
    Who did you buy the domain from?

Many of the domain registration providers may include page hosting.

However , I would suggest creating a free account at:

sites.google.com

Find out what the name servers you need to point to and point your domain to your new free site on google. (AKA Google pages)

Enjoy...

Dave
    I got the domain from Fasthoasts but i opted out of the option to have hosting too. Ive had it since last summer now..

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by agroves View Post
    I got the domain from Fasthoasts but i opted out of the option to have hosting too. Ive had it since last summer now..

Thanks!
    Probably wise to have opted out of hosting. It's best to think about the best host for your domain as a separate question to who will register your domain. Hosting needs change with time.

As others have said, there are some free hosts out there.

Or there are plenty of hosts who would only charge you a few dollars / pounds a month if what you're wanting to do is small and simple.

If you have a budget, it's better to pay for a small hosting package with a good host - then you'll get something solid. If you pay nothing, anything above what you've paid for is a bonus.
    James

Interested in which hosts I'd recommend? Unmanaged VPS Reviews | Managed VPS Reviews

Sites.google.com is highly recommended for free hosting needs, however I would recommend investing in an shared hosting package which will give you more flexibility

Find a host with something like RVSite Builder Pro or similar.
    Inode Hosting - Reliable Web Hosting for the right price.
    Shared & Reseller hosting featuring the industry leading cpanel
    99.9% Uptime Guarantee ,30 Day Money Back Guarantee ,24/7 Support
    Established since 2011

These forums aren't for the discussion of free hosting, for that you would need to visit http://www.freewebhostingtalk.com

There are indeed free hosts available - but bear in mind a decent hosting account is only a few bucks a month and may be the better way to go depending on how important your site is to you.
    █ CanSpace Solutions - www.canspace.ca - Canada's leading domain registrar and web hosting provider
    Premium Canadian Web Hosting and .ca domains. Trusted by Canada's largest corporations
    Affordable Web Hosting | 24/7 Support | CIRA CERTIFIED | Proudly Canadian

Well, if you want to get free hosting, can recommend you to catch nice opportunity to get 15-day free trial on gigapros.com hosting. no credit card required. You can test their service for free and then decided to deal with them or not.
    Personally I am glad to deal with them and will stay a long term customer.

Quote Originally Posted by R-valento View Post
    Well, if you want to get free hosting, can recommend you to catch nice opportunity to get 15-day free trial on gigapros.com hosting. no credit card required. You can test their service for free and then decided to deal with them or not.
    Personally I am glad to deal with them and will stay a long term customer.
    Since all the reviews I have found on them are stolen, what is your site you host with them?
    AHFBWEB Less customers per server, more power for you!

Business Class Shared Hosting

Need Help

You can get free domain, but its not reliable...

Free hosting is a bad idea - the provider has no obligation to keep your site online. Hosting is cheap, any paid hosting provider will be better than any free hosting provider.
    Some CMS you could use include:
    -WordPress
    -Joomla
    -Drupal
    -GetSimple
    All have free themes available so you don't need to learn "coding"...

sounds like worgpress would be a good solution.

Free hosting is not a good idea as the hosting company can close your account at any time. Better go for a shared cheap hosting.

Quote Originally Posted by WillyZ View Post
    sounds like worgpress would be a good solution.
    Do you mean wordpress?
    When all else fails ... Read the documentation!!!