Supermicro Java utility (IPMIViewer) Better alternative?

Is there any better alternative to this? I know on a machine with an IPMI card the kvm console was shown in the program's menu and you can't even resize the damn window sadly =(. Even when it launches kvm in a seperate window the fact that you can't resize the window is quite annoying.

Also it seemed to have an issue when I added more than 99 machines in the list. Something that I didn't have to click through menu's to get to kvm as when you gotta do stuff on dozens of machines it gets quite old. It was kinda cool seing 20 machines BIOS screens using it though. I had to change remote access mode for SOL access (from COM1 to COM3) and some boot settings so gotta change BIOS settings on a bunch of machines:

http://box.houkouonchi.jp/supermicro_ipmi.jpg

I dont bother with IPMIViewer (the standalone java app). Instead I just point my web browser to the IPMI IP Address and use the web interface.

-Jason
    Jason Elwell
    Director of Operations - LP Software, Inc
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/chooseopen

Quote Originally Posted by ChooseOpen View Post
    I dont bother with IPMIViewer (the standalone java app). Instead I just point my web browser to the IPMI IP Address and use the web interface.

-Jason
    Honestly that is even worse/slower than using IPMI Viewer =(. I wish something existed that I could just run a single command and get KVM/VGA output like you can do with SOL and ipmitool instead of having to use a GUI to clock and stuff.

I don't think there's a over-counter-solution. It could be scripted though.
    Fast Serv Networks, LLC | AS29889 | DDOS Protected | Managed Cloud, Streaming, Dedicated Servers, Colo by-the-U
    Since 2003 - Ashburn VA + San Diego CA Datacenters

Quote Originally Posted by FastServ View Post
    I don't think there's a over-counter-solution. It could be scripted though.
    The KVM port is port 5900, which is normally the default port for VNC. I wonder if it's just VNC with some sort of trigger to allow the connection.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***

Looks like just about everyone on the internet hates Supermicro's built-in IPMI/KVM... Apparently they OEM something from ATEN, a kvm solutions provider. Some people have speculated with bqinternet that the underlying protocol is VNC with some authentication/key exchange stuff in-front. Nobody seems to have solution though. Just complaints. Does everybody just use an external KVM solution and avoid using the Supermicro stuff? I guess that way you could manage different brands of equipment with one solution...

-Jason
    Jason Elwell
    Director of Operations - LP Software, Inc
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/chooseopen

Looks like just about everyone on the internet hates Supermicro's built-in IPMI/KVM... Apparently they OEM something from ATEN, a kvm solutions provider. Some people have speculated with bqinternet that the underlying protocol is VNC with some authentication/key exchange stuff in-front. Nobody seems to have solution though. Just complaints. Does everybody just use an external KVM solution and avoid using the Supermicro stuff? I guess that way you could manage different brands of equipment with one solution...

-Jason
    It's VNC over SSL. But you need to use the specific java viewer due to all the special controls (SSL, virtual media, authentication, ect). Scripting could eliminate the need for a browser though - by authenticating a session then launching the Java viewer.

Also I don't know anyone who hates it. It's actually quite nice (especially for the price tag of $15 per board) unless you're trying to use dozens at once as you've found .
    Last edited by FastServ; 03-02-2013 at 10:47 AM.
    Fast Serv Networks, LLC | AS29889 | DDOS Protected | Managed Cloud, Streaming, Dedicated Servers, Colo by-the-U

Interestingly enough, the web interface and IPMI iKVM is shared among many vendors, not just a Supermicro thing. One vendor doing something a bit different than the American Megatrends solution is Gigabyte who is using an Avocent based IPMI. Did a walkthrough here:
    Gigabyte IPMI Part 1
    Gigabyte IPMI Part 2

I can tell you though that while the vendors do use the same base system, I have some from other vendors that take >60 seconds just to launch on a Windows 8 machine.

We will see at least one new vendor release their offering next week at CeBIT but I do not have a review sample yet.
    My site dedicated to server and workstation hardware: http://www.servethehome.com

iirc, Supermicro has used both ATEN and Advocent chipsets depending on model/series of MB. Which could explain the varying behavior of different systems in IPMIviewer with respect to the KVM console.

Honestly I actually like supermicro's IPMI except:

1) Their Java viewer kinda sucks.. Window can't even be resized. Pretty lame.

2) Their default mode for boards with a dedicated IPMI nic is 'fail-over'. WTF This causes issues and the ipmitool raw commands don't work on everything and in some cases wedges the web-interface where you have to completely unplug the machine to reset IPMI (ipmitool bmc cold reset doesn't work either). Of course when it comes back up it comes up on eth0 even though the dedicated IPMI nic is hooked up and caused a huge hassle to fix this on over 100 servers.

I have to say that their SOL implementation (which is what I would mostly use as it can be scripted and works fine for *nix) is significantly better than dell's SOL on their BMC. I know with dell you get all sorts of text wrap and it has other annoying issues as well.

I have a love hate relationship with IPMI, it is useful and it sucks at the same time.... also it will just won't iKVM allow connection which always require you to reset it.
    QuickWeb™ -We Host Servers Like a Boss!
    New Zealand - USA - UK - Germany Virtual Servers
    Worldwide hosting provider with proven 24x7 and 25-Minute Support!
    www.quickweb.co.nz

Looks like just about everyone on the internet hates Supermicro's built-in IPMI/KVM
    That's a strong word. It does the job. It's not something that you should have to use often. It's just not perfect.

Apparently they OEM something from ATEN, a kvm solutions provider.
    I saw some suggestions that Aten is using a modified version of UltraVNC. If they're using code with a GPL license, then they need to release the code for their modifications. Perhaps Supermicro's Open Source Compliance Officer can help get it:

http://www.softwarefreedom.org/news/...ox-supermicro/
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***

Does everybody just use an external KVM solution and avoid using the Supermicro stuff? I guess that way you could manage different brands of equipment
    Despite being a mostly SM based provider, we use raritan kit for KVMoIP and Serial-over-IO so there is a common interfaces to all servers and all switches for OOB access, irrespective of manufacturer.
    Rob Golding Astutium Ltd - UK based ICANN Accredited Domain Registrar - proud to accept BitCoins
    Buying Web Hosts and Domain Registrars Today @ hostacquisitions.co.uk
    UK Web Hosting | UK VPS | UK Dedicated Servers | ADSL/FTTC | Backup/DR | Cloud
    UK Colocation | Reseller Accounts | IPv6 Transit | Secondary MX | DNS | WHMCS Modules