hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Industry Announcements : Providers and Network Outages and Updates : Donhost outage

Forum Jump

Donhost outage

Reply Post New Thread In Providers and Network Outages and Updates Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2013, 03:06 AM

Donhost outage

Donhost seem to be having major issues with 'server 50' and sites have been down for a full day - totally unacceptable.

As usual, information on the problem and how they're resolving it is not known - but at least they have acknowledged the problem, which is a very rare for them.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2013, 07:16 AM

The Donhost server 50 has been down since around 9pm on Sunday 24th Feb and it's now 11am on Tuesday 26th Feb

So far there has been no real information, certainly nothing I can tell my two customers whose web sites are unavailable and whose email services no longer work.

To cap it all my reseller account is on server 50 so not only is my web site down as well but my work is badly affected too. Not having for so long when my business relies on it is unacceptable.

The person I spoke to at around 11am today had no idea when or even if this problem would be resolved.

I find it incredible and very worrying that a web hosting company can't get a server back online even in a 24 hour period, I feel that something is very wrong here.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:44 AM

Same level of frustration here. Got a jobsworth reply on helpline this morning who couldn't have been less helpful. All well and good having status updates but not much point saying final tests are being run, then still no service 15 hours later. We pass this info onto our clients giving us justified grief and then we look stupid

Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2013, 01:18 PM

Yes, the support staff are spectacularly dim and unhelpful. My support tickets with them over the years have got increasingly tetchy and frustrated. The best bit is the way any problems on a Friday night have to wait until Monday morning...

Mind you, I remember the glory days of Donhost when the former owner, Daniel Conlon, would decide on a whim you weren't obeying the rules and delete all your files without warning....

Donhost say they are restoring from an earlier backup, and that seems to be taking many, many hours, possibly an overnight job.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:23 PM

I spoke to Donhost support (again) at around 3pm today and was assured that the server would be back up around 6pm ish today. However I now see the following on the Donhost system status page:

Server 50 connectivity issues
Created: 25 February 2013, 07:18 
Last Updated: 26 February 2013, 16:18

UPDATE :: 

Due to a full system failure our administrators have been unable to recover the server to deliver websites and associated services.

We have created a new server to host the sites and services on and our system administrators are currently restoring all sites from our fail safe backups.

The restoration is expected to complete over night and as of Wednesday morning all sites and services should be restored.

Any email sent during this period has been queued on our mail servers and will be delivered to the server as soon as the restoration is complete and the services turned back on.

We wish to apologise for the inconvenience caused by this issue and wish to reassure Customers that every effort has been made to resume service on this server as quickly as possible.

Right, so assuming that I and my customers are back in business at 9am tomorrow morning that will be a truly incredible and unacceptable 60 hours (approx) of down time!

However, I remain unconvinced as I now have zero faith in Donhost and their ability to recover even a single server failure.

OK, help / advice needed I think please. After an admittedly quick look around for a UK based reseller solution what does anybody think of Clook as an alternative to my current Donhost (Webfusion) reseller account?

Old 02-26-2013, 02:32 PM

Donhost outage

This is killing my business. I'm out in India, and our line of work totally relies on email to do business (as most do nowadays I guess). We have 30 staff, all of which receive at least 100 emails a day. I cant begin to guess how much money we've lost because of this. But most critically, I dont think any of the mail sent in the last 60 hours will get through, because the senders are getting mailer daemon bounce-back reports. For clients who I've got a long standing relationship with, it's ok, they called me and told me that there seems to be some problem. But for first time client enquiries, God knows what they must be thinking... they'll never enquire twice. If those mails haven't been backed up or stored somewhere, this will be a total disaster. And they are saying wednesday morning UK time, which, as i'm 5 and a half hours ahead, means another spent business day tomorrow. Never felt so stressed in my whole professional life.

Old 02-27-2013, 03:26 AM

Well, it's Wednesday morning in the UK, and no sign of any of the server 50 sites showing...

That really is a shocking amount of downtime for a major UK hosting service. Given the rate they stuff their servers with sites, that's a lot of affected businesses.

Donhost used to have a great reputation for uptime back in the early noughties, but I'm struggling to see any reason to stick with them now.

I have around 400 accounts with them and I just can't face transferring them, but this has forced me to think again...

Old 02-27-2013, 04:38 AM

Here we are into the third day of down time. Wednesday morning @ 8:34am as I type this and still no sign of the infamous server 50 from Donthost.

I am going to call Donthost support again and will report back the inevitable nonsense that I am supposed to swallow. Bitter, who me?

As to moving accounts from Donthost . . . . I don't have 400 active accounts but those that I do have are a daunting prospect to move but this really has done it for me.

I am looking at Clook now, any thoughts?

Old 02-27-2013, 04:53 AM

Spoke to Donthost support @ 8:45am today . . . . was told that server 50 "should have been back online around midnight" and is now "half way through restoring the backups" and that "server 50 should be back up today".

Support guy was in Uxbridge and he checked, while I was on the phone to him, with system admin in Leeds so it sounds to me as though there is no confidence in the outcome even from the admins.

Confidence inspiring this is not. If anybody else has any information then please post it up here.

Old 02-27-2013, 04:57 AM

Latest from the Donthost support page (my bold)

Last Updated: 27 February 2013, 08:46

Work is still on-going regards restoring the server with Data still being synced from our backup. We apologise for the delay this has caused. 

Due to a full system failure our administrators have been unable to recover the server to deliver websites and associated services.

We have created a new server to host the sites and services on and our system administrators are currently restoring all sites from our fail safe backups.

The restoration is expected to complete over night and as of Wednesday morning all sites and services should be restored.

Any email sent during this period has been queued on our mail servers and will be delivered to the server as soon as the restoration is complete and the services turned back on.

We wish to apologise for the inconvenience caused by this issue and wish to reassure Customers that every effort has been made to resume service on this server as quickly as possible.

Old 02-27-2013, 05:10 AM
The Best Customer Service Host

Quote:
OK, help / advice needed I think please. After an admittedly quick look around for a UK based reseller solution what does anybody think of Clook as an alternative to my current Donhost (Webfusion) reseller account?
I have used Clook a couple of years ago they are excellent, I seriously doubt you would have this problem with them.

I can't believe it has taken donhost this long to sort it out, didn't they have any spare servers?

Anyway, hope you get it sorted soon

Old 02-27-2013, 07:39 AM

One site back to life

We may be getting close, just checked my sites and 1 site has come back to life, not getting too excited though.
What a nightmare, don't have 400 sites but still have a lot to consider and this is the big problem with moving providers, and I guess DH know this which is how they somehow get away with such a poor service.
My vision now of their HQ is a guy working on his own at the bottom of his garden in a rusty tin shed with a "Hosting for Dummies" book!! Unbelievable...

Old 02-27-2013, 08:11 AM

Well, much as feared, the Wednesday morning resurrection of the Donhost server 50 has failed to materialise for me at least.

Latest update on the support page below:

Last Updated: 27 February 2013, 12:07

Our system engineers are continuing to work on Server 50 in order to fully resolve this issue for our customers.

We wish to thank those customers affected by this for their continued patience.

I for one have completely run out of patience and am heartily sick of the patronising and less than informative "updates".

Question. Will the Donhost server 50 be up today, any time today?

Old 02-27-2013, 10:38 AM

Donhost server 50 debacle . . . . it's 2:36pm now, not many business hours left before another day passes.

My web site is back up but no FTP to my site . . . . . my clients sites are still down . . . . and I still have no email service.

Donhost, more like Donthost.

Old 02-27-2013, 12:27 PM

Donhost server 50 fiasco, see below (my bold).

So, maybe another day without my clients sites, without email and without being able to FTP up to any of my clients sites!

This just has to be a new industry low in service and credibility. Certainly lost any claim to professional hosting solutions.

This is now heading towards 72 hours of down time and could very possibly be heading towards 96 hours.

Last Updated: 27 February 2013, 16:08

The restoration of server 50 is continuing, many sites are already restored and live. Work will continue on restoring the data for remaining sites and this will compete within 24 hours.

Delivery of email will be turned back on when all sites are restored. This will ensure that no emails sent during this period are lost.

We wish to apologise for the continued inconvenience this has caused.