An unfortunate BlueVM Review

Hello,

I outgrew my shared host and was taking the plunge into VPS hosting and began to shop around. BlueVM was on my radar form these forums and I was excited to give them a try. As anybody who has shopped around for anything knows you purchase something and then take it back and hopefully receive a refund if it doesn’t work and you have something that qualifies for a refund. That was not the case – for these test runs I had a pool of money set aside and if I got a refund back within the first month, great! If not, no big deal as the units I was testing were not top tier.

I purchased a package for $19.95, paid it in full and began testing. Had a couple issues come up but no big deal. I had another issue came up that turned me off to BlueVM as it wasn’t fully resolved to my satisfaction. Again, no big deal, it didn’t work out and I moved on. I promptly deleted my files from the VPS and cancelled my service and thought that was the end of it. Wishful thinking.

Now, in BlueVM’s defense I am rather ignorant to the VPS hosting billing processes but what happened didn’t make sense. I cancelled my server on 01/23 and a full 4 weeks later, on 02/18 I see charge on my bank statement/paypal account where they draft my account again. I opened a ticket and frankly, expected it to be promptly resolved. My time is valuable and so is my money.

After some back and forth with their ticket system and some “level 3” billing buy, unbeknownst to me, I apparently had BlueVM setup as a subscription and is the reason why it auto drafted. Officially, my mistake and I’ve corrected the problem. Now I will accept my refund and be on my way. Except that is not what is going to happen. I get the response:

Sadly we can't do that, we are not authorized. Clients are in control of their paypal, we do not charge them. We can however credit your account with us for any further services.

Wow, thanks for the credit for the service I cancelled a month ago. Glad I see BlueVM’s true colors early in the game. Sorry, I only do business with businesses whose moral compass is in tact which yours clearly is not if you’re going to take and keep my money for a service that was not requested, was not provided and was clearly paid by accident.

I opened a dispute with paypal - hopefully they can help me as BlueVM is not.

Stay away friends and be warned.
    Last edited by Buck1980; 02-18-2013 at 11:50 PM.

In their defense Paypal will not let anyone cancel a subscription other than the account owner. It's irritating I get 1-2 people a month with the same problem we promptly refund the money once were told about it and tell them how to unsubscribe.

When you sign up for another VPS pay attention to the paypal button, it "Should" say subscribe in the button if it's subscription, if not that's pretty cheesy. There's a setting to tell it to only display a subscribe option if the customer is able to subscribe.

Same issue with 2Checkout I think as well so beware when using them as well.
    █ Total Server Solutions
    OnApp Cloud Solutions, CDN, DNS, Load Balancers, and Hybrid Dedicated Servers
    █ Colocation with Colo@
    Visit us at http://www.totalserversolutions.com/

Quote Originally Posted by FRCorey View Post
    In their defense Paypal will not let anyone cancel a subscription other than the account owner. It's irritating I get 1-2 people a month with the same problem we promptly refund the money once were told about it and tell them how to unsubscribe.

When you sign up for another VPS pay attention to the paypal button, it "Should" say subscribe in the button if it's subscription, if not that's pretty cheesy. There's a setting to tell it to only display a subscribe option if the customer is able to subscribe.

Payza also supports subscription.

At the end of the day, I think the host should do the refund but. Out of good will. It's not a big sum.
    Hyperconnezion - your fast path to success
    IT management, Cloud and Data Center Services in Asia Pacific

In their defense Paypal will not let anyone cancel a subscription other than the account owner.
    It may have been so in the past, but now you can.
    https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/custo...=_merchant-hub

Code:
    Use this page to manage the following types of payments from your customers:

- Subscriptions
    - Automatically billed payments
    - Installment plan payments
    Profile -> My selling tools -> My automatic payments (Manage the subscriptions and automatic payments that I offer my customers)
    Fusioned - http://www.fusioned.net
    Enterprise & Semi-Dedicated Hosting | CloudLinux, cPanel, LiteSpeed, Acronis | PHP 5.6, 7.2, 7.3, 7.4 & 8.0
    Fully Managed SSD KVM VPS & Dedicated Servers | CloudFlare & Acronis Partner | RIPE LIR

2CheckOut do allow sellers to cancel customer subscriptions, but we don't touch that sort of stuff as we rarely need to even log into our 2CheckOut account as payments, etc.. are routined and we can see it all from the billing panel.

2CO can cancel customers subscriptions if they ask 2CO.

AboveClouds - UK Based Company
    Self Managed Scalable, On-demand Cloud Hosting with a personal touch ❤

Just a quick update.

BlueVM made me whole again and refunded my money. I appreciate the follow up but am confused how we got to this point. I realize the initial mistake resides on my shoulders as I should have canceled the subscription but to reject a refund when it was clearly a mistake was extremely frustrating. The amount didn't matter at that point, it's the principal.

Regardless, this matter has been resolved.

Thank you BlueVM for doing the right thing, I wish you luck in the future.

It's good you have found a right host for your needs.

Quote Originally Posted by George_Fusioned View Post
    It may have been so in the past, but now you can.
    https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/custo...=_merchant-hub

Code:
    Use this page to manage the following types of payments from your customers:

- Subscriptions
    - Automatically billed payments
    - Installment plan payments
    Profile -> My selling tools -> My automatic payments (Manage the subscriptions and automatic payments that I offer my customers)
    Yep I see that now, still it would be nice if the WHMCS paypal module would cancel a subscription when a customer is terminated or cancels his account.
    █ Total Server Solutions
    OnApp Cloud Solutions, CDN, DNS, Load Balancers, and Hybrid Dedicated Servers
    █ Colocation with Colo@
    Visit us at http://www.totalserversolutions.com/

It's true you had a horrible experience but well hope it ends well, better luck next time.

This issue comes up way too often unfortunately. WHMCS hosts don't have a built in way to cancel the client's subscription, and the client thinks the host is being malicious by "charging" him or her for extra time. Just a lose-lose situation as it is.
    RamNode - High Performance Cloud VPS
    SSD Cloud and Shared Hosting
    NYC - LA - ATL - SEA - NL - DDoS Protection - AS3842
    Deploy on our SSD cloud today! - www.ramnode.com