View Poll Results: Should we allow Unlimited offers on WHT?

Voters
602. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

178 29.57%
  • No

341 56.64%
  • No Preference (I'm good either way)

34 5.65%
  • Yes - But I'll post recommended restrictions in the thread

49 8.14%
Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast
    I dont see my vote seen i change my name and the vote is a big Nooo

I have always been against unlimited disk/bandwidth hosting packages purely as you will get saturated with the $1 offers by people who do not have the infrastructure to be able to support it (or the intention).

There are some good unlimited hosts out there, personally I would have no problem with them advertising on here, but how do you differentiate?

It's a hard one. My fear is, as someone mentioned earlier, that WHT would get swamped with advertising by the fly- by-nights, and would end up affecting the status of the forum.

If you start allowing unlimited offers, I suspect a lot of hosting newbies will go for the unlimited hosts and not even look at the limited hosts and so my answer is no.

Quote Originally Posted by GarethP View Post
    you will get saturated with the $1 offers by people who do not have the infrastructure to be able to support it (or the intention).

It's a hard one. My fear is, as someone mentioned earlier, that WHT would get swamped with advertising by the fly- by-nights, and would end up affecting the status of the forum.
    Sorry did I miss something? When did WHT stop being that?

Quote Originally Posted by PZWH View Post
    If you start allowing unlimited offers, I suspect a lot of hosting newbies will go for the unlimited hosts and not even look at the limited hosts and so my answer is no.
    This is about customer type though, some will look for unlimited no matter what. Others know what they need or what is adequate for those needs and choose a host knowing the majority of hosts offering unlimited are to be avoided.

Quote Originally Posted by wirefusemedia View Post
    ... Therefore perhaps it would be a better idea to create a separate forum for Unlimited Shared Hosting Offers and put a disclaimer that gives each visitors on that forum which explains the difference between the two and let the consumer make their own decision when they have all the facts.
    I've thought about placing Unlimited forums under their respective limited categories. ie - Web Hosting Offers > Dedicated Hosting Offers > Unlimited Dedicated Hosting Offers

There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

Quote Originally Posted by SoftWareRevue View Post
    I've thought about placing Unlimited forums under their respective limited categories. ie - Web Hosting Offers > Dedicated Hosting Offers > Unlimited Dedicated Hosting Offers

I like that idea!!! Unlimited dedicated servers?

i beleve unmetered/unlimited posts should be allowed how ever. the is no such thang as unlimited space. on bandwith how ever i beleve it should be allowed. because if a host is acctually serious about staying in business they should keep there bill's payied. and if they can not afford to risk/proviede unlimited/unmetered it will weed out the bad host's and keep the one's who acctually provied the service more reptiable.
    http://missourihosts.com
    ›› instant actvation
    ›› Account Migrations
    ›› shared hosting, shoutcast, reseller hosting

Maybe not allow unlimited diskspace but bandwidth yes.

And unmetered is not technically without limits? Same things applies though, hosts are currently advertising 10,000 or 20,000 Gigabytes of bandwidth so how is that less unrealistic and undeliverable than unlimited?

Yes, you let people advertise with 999,999GB, but not unlimited. Makes no sense.

We <<snipped>> think the rules need to be changed to allow unlimited bandwidth. The rules are over 5 years old. Its 2013 its time to move on WHT
    <<snipped>>

If your not providing something up to par, your clients are going to complain somewhere online. No client wants to worry about extra charges for bandwidth. People want things to be simplified when it comes to signing up for something monthly. They want a set price.

100M port w/ 32TB/month data transfer per month.
    Vs
    Unmetered 100M port?

It also seems like companies are still using the 'word' unmetered in ADVERTISING section. Yet people who pay for sticky ads get special treatment and ignored by admins.

Thank,
    Ryan <<Signature to be setup in your profile>>
    Last edited by anon-e-mouse; 02-11-2013 at 07:55 PM.
    Thanks,
    Oplink.net - sales@oplink.net - 281-445-9800

Quote Originally Posted by oplink View Post
    It also seems like companies are still using the 'word' unmetered in ADVERTISING section. Yet people who pay for sticky ads get special treatment and ignored by admins.
    Unmetered bandwidth offers are actually allowed if a bandwidth cap or port speed is specified per our rules. There is no special treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by Orien View Post
    Unmetered bandwidth offers are actually allowed if a bandwidth cap or port speed is specified per our rules. There is no special treatment.
    Regrdless, it's a pointless debate. Bottom line here is that you are asking whether the term "Unlimited" should be allowed however you are already allowing it.

Let's not dress this up or split hairs.

You have hosts on here offering 999,999GB of disk space and 999,999GB of bandwidth. Totally unrealistic and not possible to honour. But you allow it.

Unlimited is not allowed but it to is totally unrealistic and not possible to honour.

So where is the debate here? What is there to express an opinion on?

You are asking for views on something you already allow but have a rule that says you can't call it unlimited, dress a boy up as a girl just don't call him a girl!

Next thread please..

Doesn't everyone have unlimited hosting in a way? o.O Not everyone uses 100% of their hosting accounts and if needed they can always purchase more space. So technically unlimited and normal web hosting offers won't be any different. They both have "limits" regardless but the unlimited package is offering as much as the user wants expecting they won't use "unlimited resources".
    FusedServers.com - Shared and Dedicated Servers
    █ Softaculous, CloudFlare, cPanel, 99% Uptime, MySQL, PHP, Dallas, Tx.
    Sales@FusedServers.com - Shared and Dedicated Web Hostin

Unlimited is just misleading, especially to people who are new to buying hosting. I, like most hosting company owners who are honest about limits, will gladly take ad slots away from the companies who claim to offer unlimited hosting.

Quote Originally Posted by Orien View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but limited hosts don't advertise their inode, CPU or memory limits on their plan pages, do they?
    Interesting question. I have the memory limit listed, actually. But, it's for proxy script hosting and a lot of people are not surprised by that given the resource usage of proxy scripts.
    Vectro Web Hosting - Serious about tech support

x Proxy Host - Host Glype and other PHP proxy scripts

I think something like this could be somewhat reasonable, especially if you could have an interstitial page explaining that unlimited isn't really unlimited.

Then again, I'd also like to see something like this on the Dedicated stuff. I think there should be something between a sticky and a fly-by-night adverting in there too... But that's just me.
    REDUNDANT.COMEquinix Data Centers Performance Optimized Network
    Managed & Unmanaged
    • Servers • Colocation • Cloud • VEEAM
    sales@redundant.com

Unmetered should be allowed provided with clear layed out terms.
    Unlimited should not be allowed.
    Epidrive Webhosting Solutions - Premium Quality Hosting Made Affordable
    Berry Servers - The Most Affordable VPS Servers

I voted yes and it's simple not allowing it is not protecting anyone. The forum is already littered with unlimited offerings. Emails, databases, forwarders etc. etc. all cannot be unlimited. There are operating system limitation in place preventing it. If you think otherwise prove it and provide me with an account where I can create my 100 billion databases and email accounts.

The claim of there being hidden clauses in only unlimited offerings is laughable. If anyone has ever check their terms of service there are many hidden clauses. The reality is the service is a shared medium and paying is not going to allow you to have your own person server. Lets not forget these 100TB disk offerings already on this forum that are allowed. Do you honestly think they're going to find a customer capable of using 100TB while not hitting one of those hidden clauses?

It is 2013 the limits should be CPU, memory and disk I/O. You'll find it very tough to find providers where there greatest costs are the hard disk space and bandwidth. There may be some very specialized servers but for all the hosting offers here those are not it.
    Tony B. - Chief Executive Officer
    Hawk Host Inc. Proudly serving websites since 2004
    Quality Shared and Cloud Hosting
    PHP 5.2.x - PHP 8.1.X Support!

As do all providers.
    The day after they bring out a DIMM providing unlimited memory and a Disk providing unlimited space and a NIC capable of unlimited speed, is the first day "unlimited" should be allowed in adverts, because only then could it be possible to deliver what's being advertised.
    Rob Golding Astutium Ltd - UK based ICANN Accredited Domain Registrar - proud to accept BitCoins
    Buying Web Hosts and Domain Registrars Today @ hostacquisitions.co.uk
    UK Web Hosting | UK VPS | UK Dedicated Servers | ADSL/FTTC | Backup/DR | Cloud
    UK Colocation | Reseller Accounts | IPv6 Transit | Secondary MX | DNS | WHMCS Modules

i still have an unlimited data plan on my cell phone....

its a good way for a new business to get started.
    <<Please see rules for signature setup.>>

In my opinion/experience, "unlimited" often translates to "unprepared". I simply cannot get behind this trend.
    Besides, I tend to have more respect for providers who offer generous services with some type(s) of quotas in place, rather than a provider offering unlimited amounts of everything, yet charging almost nothing. It demonstrates to me that the provider is concerned more about their quality of service than the amount of new users they can get in a day.

Regardless of increasing HDD capacity, decreasing bandwidth costs, and the amount of resellers reselling reseller services, until the first "unlimited" hard drive is released to consumers, I'll stick with
    a more realistic business approach. ...but that's just me.

"The only serious problem with hard drives of unlimited capacity is we could never complete formatting them".

There were other approaches I saw. Several mail services do it this way: you are given a fixed quota. If you exceed it using the service reasonably (i.e., not using email as envelope to store files), you can enlarge the quota by a fixed amount, and so on.

That is how I understand 'unlimited' applied to real-life devices.
    Last edited by Master Bo; 02-12-2013 at 12:41 AM. Reason: typo
    IT blog is under reconstruction, please standby
    "There are two kinds of people in the world, those who haven't lost important data yet, and those who do regular backups."
    Network Monitoring Tool - contact me for coupon code to get discount

Quote Originally Posted by elroel View Post
    As long as advertisers clearly mentions their hidden limit on their posts , should not be any issue.
    Exactly. Unlimited bandwidth on a 1Mbps Pipe? Fine, Unlimited Storage on a 500GB HDD? Fine? Unlimited CPU Power within a Xeon E3 1 Core? Fine.

Define the limit.

Strict NO for Unlimited plans. This is balooning and hosting market poisoning. Specially when providers offers Unlimited everything for 5 USD...

25. In my point of view 'UNLIMITED' resource is not possible at all. I think unlimited offer is a marketing technique/ policy nothing else. knowledgeable person never take the unlimited offer. That's why i voted 'NO'.

Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast