View Poll Results: Should we allow Unlimited offers on WHT?

Voters
602. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

178 29.57%
  • No

341 56.64%
  • No Preference (I'm good either way)

34 5.65%
  • Yes - But I'll post recommended restrictions in the thread

49 8.14%
Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1118192021
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex - Arvixe View Post
    Well while many fit this case many also do not.
    Really? Would you care to list which ones do not? What "unlimited" hosts don't fit into the fraud and decpetion category? Going to be awfully hard to populate that list, since there is no such thing as unlimited.

Quote Originally Posted by wswd View Post
    Gee...any of that sound familiar? Sure, some of the "unlimited" hosting companies list the limits deep in their TOS (which also shouldn't be allowed), but others don't...anywhere. That's fraud, and the courts agree. You can't offer somebody "unlimited" and then suspend, terminate, etc. based on hidden caps.
    You could make a similar argument for being offered 10GB of disk space and then being suspended after only using 5GB because you went over a hidden inode limit in the TOS, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Orien View Post
    You could make a similar argument for being offered 10GB of disk space and then being suspended after only using 5GB because you went over a hidden inode limit in the TOS, right?
    If there's something in the TOS, that's a completely different story, as I differentiated in my post you quoted. The problem is with the companies that have nothing.

Check out some of the suspension letters from some of the companies out there. People have posted them in various forums, including this one, in the past. People have literally been suspended on some of the big name hosts, for "excessive disk space usage" or "excessive bandwidth usage", basically word-for-word from their own suspension/termination emails. It's not for inode usage, CPU usage, etc. How can disk space or bandwidth usage be excessive on an "unlimited" plan? Hell if I know.

What's in the TOS is generally binding. In the example you list, clients are allowed to use 10GB of disk space, so long as XYZ is met...inodes, CPU, disk i/o, the AUP is followed, etc.

I have no problem with that.

Quote Originally Posted by wswd View Post
    If there's something in the TOS, that's a completely different story, as I differentiated in my post you quoted. The problem is with the companies that have nothing.
    OK, we view this in a similar light then. I agree with you.

In my experience, the "better" unlimited hosts these days (Hostgator, Site5, et al) all have fairly transparent TOS details about inode, CPU, I/O limits etc. and I almost always see account suspensions as being the result of violating those limits, not because of too much disk space or too much bandwidth used.

And personally I've transferred many terabytes of data on unlimited hosts in the past without issue.

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1118192021