Page 47 of 61 FirstFirst ... 374445464748495057 ... LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,175 of 1523
    @Cloudlinux - Thank you for the quick script to check our systems with.

I have found quite a few that are infected - and many that are not.

Just wanted to clarify - this has hit other Distro's not just RH/Cent ? correct ?

thusfar have not found it on debian or ubuntu but figured I would ask

Quote Originally Posted by cloudhopping View Post
    @Cloudlinux - Thank you for the quick script to check our systems with.

I have found quite a few that are infected - and many that are not.

Just wanted to clarify - this has hit other Distro's not just RH/Cent ? correct ?

thusfar have not found it on debian or ubuntu but figured I would ask
    Yes, there have been reports here by Debian and Ubuntu users who had their servers infected.

Maybe the reports for Debian/Ubuntu infections are not so many here, because most WHT members use Centos/Redhad/Fedora for web hosting, but Debian and Ubuntu are affected as well.
    NetworkPanda :: Web Hosting SSD Powered :: Reseller Hosting
    Instant activation, fast servers, NVMe SSD disks, cPanel, Softaculous 1-click apps installer, daily backups
    Multiple hosting locations: USA, Canada, France, UK, Germany, Italy, Spain, Poland, Finland

based on some of the threads, it appears that the attacker didn't change the sshd and ssh binaries, so I am wondering how it is possible to steal the newly created username/password, which were sent via a dns query? can anyone shed some light on this?

Quote Originally Posted by tonytz View Post
    based on some of the threads, it appears that the attacker didn't change the sshd and ssh binaries, so I am wondering how it is possible to steal the newly created username/password, which were sent via a dns query? can anyone shed some light on this?
    There is a library libkeyutils.so.1.* that is placed on the server and sshd is linked to.
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    There is a library libkeyutils.so.1.* that is placed on the server and sshd is linked to.
    interesting, I see how it works now, good to know

Hey all,

I see some different entries that are quite similar but I'm not sure if this is another variant or legit:

lib/libkeyutils-1.2.so
    lib64/libkeyutils-1.2.so
    lib/libkeyutils.so.1
    lib64/libkeyutils.so.1

Happy to post any other logs as necessary - just might need some locations/direction as to where they are located.

Quote Originally Posted by NetworkPanda View Post
    I have some good news, AVG for Linux has been updated and detects the infected libkeyutils* files, no matter what their file name is. Although we had not been infected, I downloaded the infected files (posted here, some pages before) to a test Linux server just to perform various tests.

So, till yesterday morning none of the Linux antivirus tools was detecting it. Today while performing a scan with AVG for Linux (with updated virus definitions) I got this:

The infection is detected no matter of its file name. I tried with libtest.so libkeyutils.so.1.2.so.2 etc and it was always detected as infected.

So, it is a good idea installing AVG For Linux (no need to get the paid version for just performing scans and detecting infections) and scan in /lib /lib64 and then on your entire system.

Code:
    avgscan /lib
    avgscan /lib64
    avgscan /
    It will not break things, as it does not heal or quarantine files unless you tell it to do so. It is good just for finding the infection even if the infected files have new file names.
    Can you list how to install the AVG package? Sorry, help for the newbs like me.

Quote Originally Posted by shackrock View Post
    Hey all,

I see some different entries that are quite similar but I'm not sure if this is another variant or legit:

lib/libkeyutils-1.2.so
    lib64/libkeyutils-1.2.so
    lib/libkeyutils.so.1
    lib64/libkeyutils.so.1

Happy to post any other logs as necessary - just might need some locations/direction as to where they are located.
    Those should be the legit libs. Just run 'rpm -qf /path/to/file' and it will show that they are part of the keyutils-libs package.
    Affordable web hosting, design, & domain registration services since 2001
    www.serve-you.net

scanners

Last night I scanned the workstations with every thing I could find
    and was suggested here. I finally found a Java Trojans with Avast not found by any thing else. I sent Steven the logs of what was found and have the file quarantined. I haven't heard back form Steven yet if this is the file in question or not but fact 4 different scanners never found it I am curious.
    Last edited by weredigital; 02-21-2013 at 04:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by serve-you View Post
    Those should be the legit libs. Just run 'rpm -qf /path/to/file' and it will show that they are part of the keyutils-libs package.
    Great while looking in the folder I just did this:
    http://superuser.com/questions/55545...at-it-was-call

Kill me now, any help is appreciated. Sorry if offtopic, please PM me.

The good news is that those are legit files for me =)
    [root@server /]# rpm -qf lib/libkeyutils-1.2.so
    keyutils-libs-1.2-1.el5
    [root@server /]# rpm -qf lib64/libkeyutils-1.2.so
    keyutils-libs-1.2-1.el5
    [root@server /]# rpm -qf lib64/libkeyutils.so.1
    keyutils-libs-1.2-1.el5
    [root@server /]# rpm -qf lib/libkeyutils.so.1
    keyutils-libs-1.2-1.el5

New file name: /lib64/libkeyutils.so.1.3.2
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

/lib64/libkeyutils-1.2.so.2

as well.

Steven can you make a list of all infected filenames?

Facebook hacked Java exploit

Just announced on CNN Facebook hacked via Java Exploit. wonder if related to our issues

http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/15/tech/s...iref=allsearch

apparently old news just came in on my feeds need new feed i guess
    Last edited by weredigital; 02-21-2013 at 04:29 PM.

Also (now that the infected files are circulating with various random new file names) if you are concerned if a libkeyutils* file is legitimate or if it is an infection, just install AVG for Linux and scan your entire /lib or /lib64 folder.

AVG works fine on Centos/RHEL with or without cPanel. It is safe to have it installed along with ClamAV or other antivirus software, as AVG free for Linux does not run in real-time mode, it performs only scans on demand to find infections. So, no conflicts with the other antivirus tools you may have.

Visit http://free.avg.com/us-en/download.prd-alf

wget the rpm file to your server

then run

Code:
    rpm -Uvh avg-xxxxx.rpm
    avg-xxxxxx.rpm = the downloaded file (its name changes with each new version released by AVG)

Then run:
    Code:
    avgupdate
    avgscan /lib
    avgscan /lib64
    (the first command avgupdate needs to be ran only once per day, to download the new virus definitions)

No matter what is the name of the malicious file, it will be detected, so you will now which files are clean or not.
    Last edited by NetworkPanda; 02-21-2013 at 04:39 PM.
    Instant activation, fast servers, NVMe SSD disks, cPanel, Softaculous 1-click apps installer, daily backups
    Multiple hosting locations: USA, Canada, France, UK, Germany, Italy, Spain, Poland, Finland

Quote Originally Posted by NetworkPanda View Post
    Also (now that the infected files are circulating with various random new file names) if you are concerned if a libkeyutils* file is legitimate or if it is an infection, just install AVG for Linux and scan your entire /lib or /lib64 folder.

AVG works fine on Centos/RHEL with or without cPanel.

Visit http://free.avg.com/us-en/download.prd-alf

wget the rpm file to your server

then run

Code:
    rpm -Uvh avg-xxxxx.rpm
    avg-xxxxxx.rpm = the downloaded file (its name changes with each new version released by AVG)

Then run:
    Code:
    avgupdate
    avgscan /lib
    avgscan /lib64
    (the first command avgupdate needs to be ran only once per day, to download the new virus definitions)

No matter what is the name of the malicious file, it will be detected, so you will now which files are clean or not.
    Which is better AVG or ClamAV?

Quote Originally Posted by jalapeno55 View Post
    Which is better AVG or ClamAV?
    According to my experience, AVG is far better and detects new infections faster than Clam. For example, this new infection is not yet detected by ClamAV and the same has also happened with several other malware in the past.

But it is safe to have AVG installed along with ClamAV or other antivirus software, as AVG free for Linux does not run in real-time mode, it performs only scans on demand to find infections. So, no conflicts with the other antivirus tools you may have.

Quote Originally Posted by tecnobrat View Post
    I would put money on the fact that the java exploit (current theory) was actually placed inside a malicious ad that was displayed on a hosting forum or website that hosting admins frequent. Maybe even this site itself.

The fact that it affects CentOS/Cpanel/etc machines more than others would also lead me to believe it may be a forum / site directly related to that.

I have no proof of this, but ... logic would dictate?

It think you may have right

Last Saturday, (Feb 16) i used my liitle doghters old laptop at home to google for mod rewrite.
    This laptop is used by my daughter to play flash games, so flash ang java is allowed,
    and NOScript missing (and off course no root passwords:-)

I followed a link to a site with the word htaccess in the domain

I am 99% sure i can recall the domain, but since i am not 100% i wont post the domain name,
    and i don't want to visit this site again to confirm..

When the site loaded, the screen has frozen and the disk has started to spin very very fast

I am 100% it was an infection

I have scanned the laptop with compofix avira and malware bytes, but found nothing

I reloaded the OS to be sure.

Sounds familiar to anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by nicknn View Post
    It think you may have right

Last Saturday, (Feb 16) i used my liitle doghters old laptop at home to google for mod rewrite.
    This laptop is used by my daughter to play flash games, so flash ang java is allowed,
    and NOScript missing (and off course no root passwords:-)

I followed a link to a site with the word htaccess in the domain

I am 99% sure i can recall the domain, but since i am not 100% i wont post the domain name,
    and i don't want to visit this site again to confirm..

When the site loaded, the screen has frozen and the disk has started to spin very very fast

I am 100% it was an infection

I have scanned the laptop with compofix avira and malware bytes, but found nothing

I reloaded the OS to be sure.

Sounds familiar to anyone?

Dr.Web live cd, but i guess you reloaded so it wont matter.

That is kind of common behavior for a flash malware.

redhat update to ssh

Possible related ? just released
    Moderate: openssh security, bug fix and enhancement update

https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHSA-2013-0519.html

Quote Originally Posted by ThreadHo View Post
    Possible related ? just released
    Moderate: openssh security, bug fix and enhancement update

https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHSA-2013-0519.html
    Centos 6 only.

Thanks for the clarification on the Cent6 only ...
    Also - for the DR Web.

Dr Web found a few things that the other scans did not...
    nothing big I hope...
    but those are offline @ least now.

What did it find? Please send me what you find.

Finally some big guys are noticing this.

Page 47 of 61 FirstFirst ... 374445464748495057 ... LastLast