Administrator password and RDP problems with KVM VPS

Hi, I am new to the site. My brother is a casual here and convinced me to sign up and up to a premium, with the promise that I will learn alot from the site. So I figure I will start out with trying to figure out a problem I have.

I have a BuyVM Windows 2003 128M KVM VPS that my brother gave to me to use. It's an un-managed host that cost 25$ a year. The original problem was being unable to connect to the server via RDP, but a new problem has come around. My brother does not remember the Administrator password. We can connect to it using VNC in Stallion, we can't log into Windows now to try and troubleshoot why the RDP isn't working.
    Does anyone know a way to reset or recover the Administrator password for Windows 2003?

From what my brother told me, BuyVM is owned by Fran (DeltaAnime) I believe.

Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks.
    -JMP

do you have access to some sort of control panel for the server? as that will usually let you reset the admin passwords... failing that you would need to log a ticket with BuyVM
    Webtastix Internet Services - www.webtastix.net - NZ and LA based VPS's - Windows and Linux VPS's available at excellent prices.
    Hosted Exchange, Lync and much more - Monitoring included with ALL VPS's

You should contact BuyVM. They'll likely need to mount a Linux liveCD to recover the administrator password (something like Pnordahl, Ultimate Boot CD, etc) to run ntpasswd to clear out the administrators login.

If you have the ability to console the machine and upload an ISO you can do the above yourself, though.

Prior to 2008, resetting the Windows password was quite a pain (in that it required external tools).

Yes, I have access to the Stallion control panel, I will take another look in it to see if there is a place to recover the password.

I think we have the ability to load an ISO as well to run on the machine so I will take a look into that as well if the above doesn't work.

Thanks for the quick responses.
    -JMP

As soon as they moved, everything is working. Neither my brother or me have done anything to change it. They moved the servers to Las Vegas from San Jose. The RDP started working so he was able to change the administrator password to solve that problem. Stallion still shows that the KVM is offline, but that isn't the case. Now we are wondering why it wasn't working to begin with. Curious if maybe the RAM in it was bad and caused the issues, or the swap.

This is a screwy VPS.
    Down for months. Then up one night. Then down one. Now up again.
    We're going to leave RDP open and see what happens.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||