View Poll Results: Flash or PNG/GIF banner?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Flash

1 6.25%
  • PNG

8 50.00%
  • GIF

7 43.75%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Flash or PNG banners?

Hello,

what do you prefer for advertising banners? Flash or simple static PNG banners? What do you click more?

My opinion: Flash is more atractive but "heavy" and blocked by most adblocks. Static banners would be my choice.

Flash may not work on some apple devices or FreeBSD for example.
    I went for buying Sony TV instead of Samsung partially because Samsung website was on flush and I could not see it in FreeBSD, while Sony was perfect.
    That would mean Samsung has less expirience to support wider range of requirements and tries to force to play by their rules.

The infamous Microsoft Paper Clip also moves about a lot. Not that people ever paid much attention to it.

PNG banner with strong colours and relevant information is the way to go, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by time4vps View Post
    What do you click more?
    I can't remember having clicked a single ad in my life frankly.

Having said that, PNG would be my clear choice. Flash is going the way of the dinosaurs.
    Woktron Web Hosting
    Web Hosting Reseller Hosting
    Virtual Private Servers Dedicated Servers

PNG, I would say. Flash is too heavy for website, I take times to load and will slow down the website. Furthermore, plugin may required to load and run.

I would go with a nice designed PNG banner. Flash is heavier, doesnt work on some mobile devices and many people find animations annoying.
    Regards

yes, you can block the images too

I prefer to use flash for my banners.
    PNG (24) has a transparency bug for old versions IE, like example. Maybe for new versions too, I'm not sure.
    And cannot animate your PNG banner in case if you do not want to use javascript or such a technology.
    By the way, you can try with SVG (dynamic) - it's FUN!!!

Hello,

what do you prefer for advertising banners? Flash or simple static PNG banners? What do you click more?

My opinion: Flash is more atractive but "heavy" and blocked by most adblocks. Static banners would be my choice.
    Yes most of site wont accept flash banner also Mac wont support flash i thing we can make use of gif and other file formate

Do we have any choice except flash or gif for non static banners?

You have a choice, but I think it's irrational - WebGL (possible problems with video adapters), Silverlight, dynamic manipulations in SVG.

SVG (as mentioned by notover), MNG, APNG, etc. I probably should not include MNG because support for it is not enough to make it a useful format. APNG is supported by Opera and Firefox (all variants), but not by Chrome and IE. None of the aforementioned are comparable to GIF in terms of browser supports.

If I were You i wouldn't even think. PNG over Flash always. Why? Well for starters, images work on all the platforms. Flash movies do not. Macintosh doesn't support flash. Second, flash on websites will be obsolete in a couple of years, images will always be a part of websites. Third, put in a nice jquery slider and you have amazing, clean slideshow of PNG adds, or anything you like, easy to edit, add more and so on

I'd also recommend png, but not for the reasons stated above. Flash is compatible with mac, just not with iOS (and that might change in the future). Flash isn't going nowhere, there's always a niche for flash sites.
    As for the heaviness of flash, that's only the case when the developer isn't very skilled.

The reason I'd advice against flash for a banner is that this is an overkill. You don't use a heavy CMS for a simple static site either.

As a solution for animated banners, you could use Adobe's Edge Animate.

PNG is the way to go - however, watch the bit rate on the images. You'll probably be able to get away with an 8 bit PNG with less than 128 colours making the file small.
    Dan is currently working on a Facebook cover maker online app. His Make a Cover for Facebook app provides the opportunity to make a unique character themed Facebook cover.

I've always preferred static banners, both looking at them and creating them.

I would suggest you run both.

A simple javascript can test if flash is supported or not. If it is, serve the flash banner, if it isn't, serve the static image.
    RAM Host -- USA Premium & Budget Linux Hosting
    █ Featuring Powerful cPanel Shared Hosting
    █ & Premium Virtual Dedicated Servers
    Follow us on Twitter

Go with animated GIF or PNG. Flash won't show up on most mobile/tablet devices.

In my opinion Flash banner is far better than a simple PNG banner since With the help of Flash banner ads, you can add more graphics and text in a limited web space as compared to other forms of banner.

You can add buttons, forms, and labels in these ads to persuade the viewer to take your desired action. Your site visitors can even replay your Flash banner ads just like a movie or music file is viewed again and again. This will not only act as a fun element and trigger curiosity but may eventually make the person click on the button that you desire them to select.
    Monitor Scout - Website & Server Monitoring
    50 different checks, SNMP monitoring and much more.
    https://www.monitorscout.com

Quote Originally Posted by monitorscout View Post
    In my opinion Flash banner is far better than a simple PNG banner since With the help of Flash banner ads, you can add more graphics and text in a limited web space as compared to other forms of banner.

You can add buttons, forms, and labels in these ads to persuade the viewer to take your desired action. Your site visitors can even replay your Flash banner ads just like a movie or music file is viewed again and again. This will not only act as a fun element and trigger curiosity but may eventually make the person click on the button that you desire them to select.
    Did you take in mind that flash is limited or not supported in some of operating systems or devices?

Did you take in mind that flash is limited or not supported in some of operating systems or devices?
    People don't realize that A LOT of html5 features aren't compatible with many browers.

Flash is still installed on 97% of PC's where maybe 60% decently support html5.

I'm not sure where all the flash-hate comes from, suffice it to say most arguments are false..

As said by others, a combination of flash with a html5 fallback is the best way, but if you don't want to spend too much time/money just go for html5.

Then just make a check for the browser and OS.
    If X then Flash, else PNG

I would love an animated banner, but flash is not supported by Apple etc. So I'd prefer a static nicely designed PNG image.

Go with PNG banners. Flash is outdated old technology.
    You can even move onto HTML5/jQuery for animation as well which loads faster.

Worst of all, the most popular devices on the market are Apple devices and flash does not work on them.
    My Site : Chi Chi's Floral [Under Construction - Link Coming Soon!]

Hosted by: Myhosting.com - 10 months and counting!

Quote Originally Posted by standingoten View Post
    Go with PNG banners. Flash is outdated old technology.
    You can even move onto HTML5/jQuery for animation as well which loads faster.

Worst of all, the most popular devices on the market are Apple devices and flash does not work on them.
    All three statements are wrong:

Flash is far from outdated, many of our precious iOS games are still made in flash.

Animation in html5 is a lot slower performance-wise and the size of assets should be the same.

Android is more popular than apple in the mobile market.
    Windows is still a lot more widespread than Mac in the desktop market.

Also, apple has recently contacted adobe to try and get the flash player to iOS, adobe refused

Again, this doesn't mean you should use flash, use whatever makes you comfortable. Just getting the facts straight.

Adobe is a bully . Flash must die, period. Something new and more lightweight must take the place.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast